• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
that is the benefit/detraction from most chukka's. I have a high instep and would only wear chukkas if I could, they are consistently my best fitting shoes. I also think that german/austrian-ish shoes have a higher instep than what you typically find from the italian/english.

While the arch (underfoot) looks quite elevated/pronounced on those, the instep (top to bottom hight at arch level) looks pretty normal to me...

I don't think most chukkas have that pronounced an arch, i.e. Alden. It's the way chukkas lace bc of their facings that results in a less than ideal fit for someone with a low arch and/or instep.

fence28

Reaction score
These are my first try with chukkas and I have to admit they are wonderful and comfortable. A light color suede is also another first. I got these because it was too good to pass up from fleabay. So, I can't really comment on St. Crispin's pricing not on a first hand experience.

I think I will definitely try chukkas in the future. My right foot tends to have a higher instep than my left, but I also have very low arches.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is the benefit/detraction from most chukka's. I have a high instep and would only wear chukkas if I could, they are consistently my best fitting shoes. I also think that german/austrian-ish shoes have a higher instep than what you typically find from the italian/english.

+1. Me too.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by rebel222
+1. Me too.

Yep. Chukkas rule!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
That looks like a ridiculously high instep.

what makes you think that?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also think that german/austrian-ish shoes have a higher instep than what you typically find from the italian/english.

i think it's the curve to the toebox.

english and eyetalian start high and dive directly to a lower toebox.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fence28
My right foot tends to have a higher instep than my left, but I also have very low arches.

you better have this corrected.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The instep, I believe, looks deceptively high because of the height of the heel/declination of the sole PLUS the beveling and tightness of the waist.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
you better have this corrected.

Fritzle brings up a point that reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: do many of you guys wear orthotics in your shoes? I've worn orthotics in my dress shoes for the past 15 years, which has created a whole new universe of comfort in and variety of the shoes I wear.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're custom molded and made from a laminate of graphite and fiberglass - the material is only 1 mm in thickness.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
They're custom molded and made from a laminate of graphite and fiberglass - the material is only 1 mm in thickness.

If it's not too much trouble, please put up a pic. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads