• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's clothing in Santiago, Chile?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just won a job in Santiago, Chile. I'll be moving there in July. I'm looking forward to it a lot as it is a step up from my current jobs, offers a good salary and allows a lot of free time.

From my sartorial side, I know I'm going to miss the stores I'm accustomed to in the US. I'm hoping I won't have to stock up on clothing when I visit the US on vacation. I've found that Ralph Lauren finally opened stores throughout Santiago, so that seems like my best bet so far, although it seems like they may only sell PRL.

Does anyone here live in that part of the world? Any recommendations for high quality sf-approved clothing stores in Santiago?

Are there any good custom or bespoke tailors here?

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I have only one piece of advice to you if your are moving to Chile.

Stay single.......
smile.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
did you trick them into thinking that you are Kenny G.?

laugh.gif
And congrats, musicguy. I can't speak for the clothes, but Chile has some hot women.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats gents! I'm totally looking forward to the change. They offered me the job immediately after I performed my rendition of Michael Bolton's When a Man Loves a Woman for zither and glass armonica.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in terms of clothing there are a couple of things -

1. there is a street right by the intercontinental hotel that has all the big western shops, including BB. that seems to be it for those types of shops.

2. men dress, people in the business world dress in suits. you see a lot of suits with sweaters, keep in mind that july in santiago will be cool to cold. overcoats are pretty rare - I would say that a suit with a sweater and long underwear will be more common than an overcoat. people dress a little more european than american, maybe even spanish or central european, rather than british or italian. dark suits, striped shirts, ties, black shoes, sweaters.

3. there are tailors. I wouldn't be buying mass produced clothing, I'd be looking for the best tailor in town.

4. alpaca. stock up on alpaca.

if you need any other advice (not clothes, I have pretty much empied out what I know about clothes) pm me

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply globetrotter! Great stuff. I'll pm if I have any other questions. I had a feeling you would know! Surprised there's a BB in Chile. That's good to know. I'm planning a trip to Buenos Aires after a few months also. I hear shopping is quite good there.

I've seen the sweaters + suits here. I've also noticed a euro style too. This is my third trip here. Definitely going to get some nice alpaca... In Peru I saw Vicuña in the airport. Scarves were under 1000USD I seem to remember. Expensive, but cheaper than elsewhere. Leaving today. Moving sucks, but I'm happy to leave Philly, my home of 10 long years.

latindandy

Reaction score
American style clothes brands:
BB, RL (Polo in every mall, BL in the Vitacura Shop). The variety is quite limited and the prices aren't as competitive as in the US.

There are several tailors, my favourite is Atilio Andreoli but he only uses the cloth he sells (Loro Piana). Suits cost around 2.000 US$. Other tailors(sastrerÃa) are Ugarte (shirts are 150 US$) and Cubillos.

There is a cloth seller in Isidora Goyenechea who has a big cloth collection (Castro Donoso). You can ask for directions over there (an average tailor will charge from 500 US$ for a suit excluding the cloth).

Luxury brands (Zegna, Hermes, S. Ferragamo) can be found in Alonso De Cordova.

There are small shops in the malls that carry a nice selection. A lot of the chilean life is carried in the malls since there aren't many things to do in Santiago.

Standard business clothing consists in a striped charcoal suit and black shoes (oxford/derby).
As someone stated before the use sweaters under the suit is fairly common, but I would avoid it if I was working in an elitist context. Coats are uncommon due to their high prices.

The weather is dry, and that makes summer hotter and winter colder.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Thanks so much for the reply globetrotter! Great stuff. I'll pm if I have any other questions. I had a feeling you would know! Surprised there's a BB in Chile. That's good to know. I'm planning a trip to Buenos Aires after a few months also. I hear shopping is quite good there.

I've seen the sweaters + suits here. I've also noticed a euro style too. This is my third trip here. Definitely going to get some nice alpaca... In Peru I saw Vicuña in the airport. Scarves were under 1000USD I seem to remember. Expensive, but cheaper than elsewhere. Leaving today. Moving sucks, but I'm happy to leave Philly, my home of 10 long years.

good luck. I'll be back down the week of 22 June, maybe we can grab dinner.

jackdaw

Reaction score
When I lived in Chile 15 years ago central heating was scarce. My office building had baseboard hot water heat, but it was quite cold in winter despite the fact that temperatures in Concepcion rarely got to killing frost. Great opportunity for flannel suits and trousers, heavy tweed blazers, sweater vests, etc. Air quality during winter inversions in Santiago was abysmal. Cuisine, apart from nouveau foody places, is unsophisticated, but superb seafood, meats, and produce means it's almost impossible not to eat well. Anything I might remember about clothes shopping is hopelessly outdated. Classical music had much more cultural import than in the US. Even in provincial Conce we had a pretty good pro/am symphony with a full schedule and lots of chamber music. Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy Chile.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by latindandy
American style clothes brands: BB, RL (Polo in every mall, BL in the Vitacura Shop). The variety is quite limited and the prices aren't as competitive as in the US. There are several tailors, my favourite is Atilio Andreoli but he only uses the cloth he sells (Loro Piana). Suits cost around 2.000 US$. Other tailors(sastrerÃa) are Ugarte (shirts are 150 US$) and Cubillos. There is a cloth seller in Isidora Goyenechea who has a big cloth collection (Castro Donoso). You can ask for directions over there (an average tailor will charge from 500 US$ for a suit excluding the cloth). Luxury brands (Zegna, Hermes, S. Ferragamo) can be found in Alonso De Cordova. There are small shops in the malls that carry a nice selection. A lot of the chilean life is carried in the malls since there aren't many things to do in Santiago. Standard business clothing consists in a striped charcoal suit and black shoes (oxford/derby). As someone stated before the use sweaters under the suit is fairly common, but I would avoid it if I was working in an elitist context. Coats are uncommon due to their high prices. The weather is dry, and that makes summer hotter and winter colder.
How?
confused.gif
It's humidity that makes summer hotter and winter colder...

latindandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
How?
confused.gif
It's humidity that makes summer hotter and winter colder...

Actually humidity creates some kind of greenhouse effect. For instance, the desert is extremely cold in winter, specially at night.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by latindandy
American style clothes brands: BB, RL (Polo in every mall, BL in the Vitacura Shop). The variety is quite limited and the prices aren't as competitive as in the US. There are several tailors, my favourite is Atilio Andreoli but he only uses the cloth he sells (Loro Piana). Suits cost around 2.000 US$. Other tailors(sastrerÃa) are Ugarte (shirts are 150 US$) and Cubillos. There is a cloth seller in Isidora Goyenechea who has a big cloth collection (Castro Donoso). You can ask for directions over there (an average tailor will charge from 500 US$ for a suit excluding the cloth). Luxury brands (Zegna, Hermes, S. Ferragamo) can be found in Alonso De Cordova. There are small shops in the malls that carry a nice selection. A lot of the chilean life is carried in the malls since there aren't many things to do in Santiago. Standard business clothing consists in a striped charcoal suit and black shoes (oxford/derby). As someone stated before the use sweaters under the suit is fairly common, but I would avoid it if I was working in an elitist context. Coats are uncommon due to their high prices. The weather is dry, and that makes summer hotter and winter colder.
Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. Do you live in Chile?
Originally Posted by jackdaw
When I lived in Chile 15 years ago central heating was scarce. My office building had baseboard hot water heat, but it was quite cold in winter despite the fact that temperatures in Concepcion rarely got to killing frost. Great opportunity for flannel suits and trousers, heavy tweed blazers, sweater vests, etc. Air quality during winter inversions in Santiago was abysmal. Cuisine, apart from nouveau foody places, is unsophisticated, but superb seafood, meats, and produce means it's almost impossible not to eat well. Anything I might remember about clothes shopping is hopelessly outdated. Classical music had much more cultural import than in the US. Even in provincial Conce we had a pretty good pro/am symphony with a full schedule and lots of chamber music. Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy Chile.
Thanks for the congrats! Even now, central heating is scarce. My sister lives in a nice place in Nunoa and they have hot water heating in the floor, but the residents voted to wait until May 30th to turn on the heat and it's already chilly there. They use estufas which are okay, but you can't leave them on at night because of fumes. New buildings have central heat and air, but they are much more expensive and not really worth it, or so I've been toldy by my sister and brother in law who also live in Santiago. I'll have to find a nice apartment... electric heaters and portable a/c looks like what I'll be doing. I've also noticed how classical music is supported well there. It seems to be looked at in a much better way than in the states! Can't wait...
Originally Posted by globetrotter
good luck. I'll be back down the week of 22 June, maybe we can grab dinner.
Thanks! Dinner sounds good, but unfortunately, I won't be in Chile yet. I'll be leaving the states in late June/early July. Let me know if you visit later in the year. I guess I should've said that I was leaving Chile that day in the OP, not leaving the states!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads