• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on breeks

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I really like this style from Voxsartoria's Weekly, but I need advice? What's it called? What are its do's and don'ts. Where is it appropriate? Are these VINTAGE TWEED BREEKS or are there modern pieces produced? Would people here consider this interesting or just a joke? Thanks

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I really like this style from Voxsartoria's Weekly, but I need advice? What's it called? What are its do's and don'ts. Where is it appropriate? Are these VINTAGE TWEED BREEKS or are there modern pieces produced? Would people here consider this interesting or just a joke? Thanks

Breeks are useful for walking through bushes and dense vegetation as they are much less likely to get caught than ordinary cuffed trousers. Bounding about in these today in an urban environment is silly and makes you look like a twat. Don't do that. If you have an actual use, ie you spend time walking in the country, by all means get them. They are still produced today most easily obtained from British hunting equipment shops. Bookster and one or two others will do them MTM.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Those capri pants in the OP are apparently apropos stalking stiletto heeled pumps 'midst the rugged gorse and hanging boughs of a footwear fetish emporium, apparently considered a tweedish sporting pursuit amongst urban Byronic johnnies.

Manly men are more inclined to > www.spencers-trousers.com

turtleorrodeo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by larsrindsig
Breeks are useful for walking through bushes and dense vegetation as they are much less likely to get caught than ordinary cuffed trousers. Bounding about in these today in an urban environment is silly and makes you look like a twat. Don't do that. If you have an actual use, ie you spend time walking in the country, by all means get them. They are still produced today most easily obtained from British hunting equipment shops. Bookster and one or two others will do them MTM.

Is there a real difference between breeks and plus X's? I've heard something that looks like these are decent pants for cycling, practically at least.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turtleorrodeo
Is there a real difference between breeks and plus X's? I've heard something that looks like these are decent pants for cycling, practically at least.

Breeks, breeches, britches, and Knickerbockers (to the Americans, typically baggier) are all the same. Plus-twos and plus-fours describe the length below the knee.

jrk264

Reaction score
I'm not sure I've seen any off the golf course. A buddy of mine does have a pair of cargo pant-style plus 4s that he likes for casual wear (to be honest, I don't usually notice my friends' sartorial choices, but a pair of pants ending at the shin does tend to catch the eye), but (1) he's English and (2) he's a big cyclist, so I think that explains that.

Also, here in southern California we can use the space in our wardrobes that most people dedicate to winter wear to calibrate our warm weather gear--athletic shorts, board shorts, cotton shorts, long shorts, linen pants, etc. I guess the plus-2s and 4s are a logical extension of that line of thinking.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are capri pants. You're teetering wearing something like that.

David Watts

Reaction score
Czech out Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. Three hours of breeks pr0n galore. Ruined me for office pants.

Breekin 2: Electric Boogaloo:

29fotxt.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads