• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles area: Recommend MTM/MTO shirt makers please.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I called Freddy today and unfortunately he is not taking in new customers at the moment. He said I can call back in a couple of months to see if he has more time then. The folks at Richard Lim got back to me. They told me that there are no limits when it comes in ordering shirts and a shirt ranges from $225-275. Should I also inquire with Ascot Chang and Anto? I inquired with Ascot Chang and I was told I need to put in an order with no less than 4 shirts, starting at $200 per shirt. I browsed Anto's website and there are no contact information. I tried to Yelp Anto as well, but no luck. I'm tempted to get one shirt from Richard Lim to see how the quality and call Freddy back in several months to see if he has any openings by then. I don't mind the 4 order minimum for Ascot Chang, but I'm kind of hesitant because I don't know what to expect since it will be my first time requesting their service.
Come to think of it, there is one other shirtmaker I've tried in Los Angeles. Mr. Lee on Fairfax (the block south of Samy's Camera). http://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-lee-custo...op-los-angeles I used him before Richard Lim and Freddy V, but his prices are very similar. As for the experience, it's a bespoke process with multiple fittings, however, it can't be compared to Freddy's shirts. Top of the list in LA would be Freddy / Anto (from what I've heard). But Anto has a much higher profile location, hence the minimum shirt order and slightly higher costs. Mr. Lee would be a step down, and probably a tie with Richard Lim in terms of quality. However, as much as I love Richard's jackets and pants, the shirts are a bit wanting. My collars were fused (though I'm sure it's possible to get a soft collar) and there were no fittings.
Originally Posted by teddieriley
This. Freddy is straight bespoke. He files the paper patterns for all of his clients in a metal file drawer. Best fitting shirt you're likely going to get in L.A. I'm sure he can get most any fabric you want. Very reasonably priced as well.
Freddy just can't be beat. He's a zero BS guy, yet still comes off as warm and happy to work with you. I had some friends I wanted to steer his way; I'm both happy and sad to hear he's not taking any new customers. I hope he stays in business for a long time to come.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
This. Freddy is straight bespoke. He files the paper patterns for all of his clients in a metal file drawer. Best fitting shirt you're likely going to get in L.A. I'm sure he can get most any fabric you want. Very reasonably priced as well.
frown.gif
frown.gif
You guys are making me feel bad for not being able to obtain Freddy's service at the moment.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
Come to think of it, there is one other shirtmaker I've tried in Los Angeles. Mr. Lee on Fairfax (the block south of Samy's Camera). http://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-lee-custom-tailor-shop-los-angeles I used him before Richard Lim and Freddy V, but his prices are very similar. As for the experience, it's a bespoke process with multiple fittings, however, it can't be compared to Freddy's shirts.

Top of the list in LA would be Freddy / Anto (from what I've heard). But Anto has a much higher profile location, hence the minimum shirt order and slightly higher costs. Mr. Lee would be a step down, and probably a tie with Richard Lim in terms of quality. However, as much as I love Richard's jackets and pants, the shirts are a bit wanting. My collars were fused (though I'm sure it's possible to get a soft collar) and there were no fittings.

Freddy just can't be beat. He's a zero BS guy, yet still comes off as warm and happy to work with you. I had some friends I wanted to steer his way; I'm both happy and sad to hear he's not taking any new customers. I hope he stays in business for a long time to come.

That is very true. The first thing he stated when I called was that he is sorry but he is not taking in customers at the moment due to his work load. And I was more than welcome to call him in a couple of months if I shall still need his service.

I think I'm going to give him a call in a couple of months as I'm not in a rush. I don't want to come out as rude and ask you guys for his prices. However, are his prices in the same bracket as Richard Lim and Ascot Chang?

I thought that Anto would be the most expensive out of the bunch when I saw his website, based on the press and movies he serviced.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
frown.gif
frown.gif
You guys are making me feel bad for not being able to obtain Freddy's service at the moment.

Freddy might be experiencing the "SF effect". Luckily though, he's at least being honest and turning away business, compared to taking on a large backlog
nest.gif

If I were you, I'd do one of three things:

A) Visit Mr. Lee and get a shirt (he MIGHT have a 3 shirt minimum these days, not sure) that fits well after multiple fittings. Then take that to Richard Lim and work with them to pick fabrics and style modifications, using that shirt as a template to copy from.

B) Visit Richard Lim, see if they'll do multiple fittings and/or a trial shirt (increasing the cost of the first shirt order). Once you're happy with the fit / construction, you can start working on style modifications.

C) (The one no one ever picks) Be patient and check back with Freddy in a few months. Hopefully then he'll be able to take you on as a client.

Lord Byron

Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles. Last year, my wife gave me a gift certificate for made to measure shirts from Joe Hemrajani of mytailor.com. Joe fitted me personally at a hotel room in Century City. I chose midrange fabrics, and added a monogram and extra thick MOP buttons. I spent approximately $150 per shirt for four shirts. The construction, fabric, and fit, while not a bespoke experience for double the price, are superb. OTR shirts do not fit me, either, and while I'm usually just wearing a shirt with jeans, I want it to fit and look good. I have had shirts made for me over the years. Some bespoke, some MTM. For the price, mytailor.com is a very good value, IMHO. Joe travels to LA regularly, and he has a brick and mortar shop in OC. He also does excellent cuff and collar replacement, which I've had done by him on several occasions. That said, I have heard nothing but good things about Freddy, and I'm delighted to hear that he's busy.

http://lordbyronsrevenge.blogspot.com/

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freddy might be experiencing the "SF effect". Luckily though, he's at least being honest and turning away business, compared to taking on a large backlog
nest.gif
If I were you, I'd do one of three things: A) Visit Mr. Lee and get a shirt (he MIGHT have a 3 shirt minimum these days, not sure) that fits well after multiple fittings. Then take that to Richard Lim and work with them to pick fabrics and style modifications, using that shirt as a template to copy from. B) Visit Richard Lim, see if they'll do multiple fittings and/or a trial shirt (increasing the cost of the first shirt order). Once you're happy with the fit / construction, you can start working on style modifications. C) (The one no one ever picks) Be patient and check back with Freddy in a few months. Hopefully then he'll be able to take you on as a client.

I will get in touch with Mr. Lee. Thanks for the suggestion, my friend. Edit: I called Mr. Lee, he said I can just get one shirt..there is no minimum. Price has went up $10-20 over the last several years. I think I will go get 1 from him to test the water. The reviews on Yelp looked good. Only complaints were his fees.
Originally Posted by Lord Byron
I live in Los Angeles. Last year, my wife gave me a gift certificate for made to measure shirts from Joe Hemrajani of mytailor.com. Joe fitted me personally at a hotel room in Century City. I chose midrange fabrics, and added a monogram and extra thick MOP buttons. I spent approximately $150 per shirt for four shirts. The construction, fabric, and fit, while not a bespoke experience for double the price, are superb. OTR shirts do not fit me, either, and while I'm usually just wearing a shirt with jeans, I want it to fit and look good. I have had shirts made for me over the years. Some bespoke, some MTM. For the price, mytailor.com is a very good value, IMHO. Joe travels to LA regularly, and he has a brick and mortar shop in OC. He also does excellent cuff and collar replacement, which I've had done by him on several occasions. That said, I have heard nothing but good things about Freddy, and I'm delighted to hear that he's busy. http://lordbyronsrevenge.blogspot.com/
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm in this category with you. I wear a suit just a handful of times in a year. The shirts will be worn with regular pants, but I still want good fitting & high quality shirts.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Found Freddy through this forum. Haven't looked back since. Quality and service is outstanding.

You can even bring your own fabrics in. Labor cost is $150.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I browsed Anto's website and there are no contact information. I tried to Yelp Anto as well, but no luck.

Did you look under the Contact tab?

http://www.antoshirt.com/index.php/contact/

As someone said earlier, there is a minimum shirt order, and they are a bit more expensive compared to other MTM operations (though midrange by bespoke standards), but the fit can't be beat, they have an amazing selection of cloths, and are great guys to work with.

--Andre

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As many others have said, i echo that you should wait for Freddy V. or try Anto. A Y correct me if I am wrong, I believe Anto does CMT. Anto is definitely more expensive than Freddy V. due to the 6 shirt minimum. I didnt know Anto had a Sherman Oaks location. They must be doing well.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Did you look under the Contact tab?

http://www.antoshirt.com/index.php/contact/

As someone said earlier, there is a minimum shirt order, and they are a bit more expensive compared to other MTM operations (though midrange by bespoke standards), but the fit can't be beat, they have an amazing selection of cloths, and are great guys to work with.

--Andre

That's weird. I was on the site earlier and the Contact tab didn't show for me. I just emailed him.

Thank you to all who helped.

I will test the water with a shirt or two from some of the folks mentioned. And in the meantime I will try to get on Freddy's list.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like Anto is out of the picture for now. He requires an order of no less than 4 shirts and each runs at least $325. Too rich for my blood at the moment.

I will give Mr. Lee a try and continue to inquire Freddy every now and then.

I just want a good fitting shirt and I probably will not be able to differentiate between a middle tier from top tier craftsmanship to be honest.

Again, I thank everyone who helped out in the thread.

I will inquire about the shirt in 2 weeks when I return from my vacation. I'm excited to get some shirts done. Prior to being able to afford such service, I would just find the best fitting OTR shirts and have a local tailor take in the width and arms.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
As many others have said, i echo that you should wait for Freddy V. or try Anto. A Y correct me if I am wrong, I believe Anto does CMT. Anto is definitely more expensive than Freddy V. due to the 6 shirt minimum. I didnt know Anto had a Sherman Oaks location. They must be doing well.

Yes, they do CMT. They had to leave their old location because the landlord wouldn't renew their lease (so that the landlord could tear down that corner and develop it into something else), so they moved to a smaller space down the block, which is just their showroom, and they moved all their production to Sherman Oaks. They used to make everything at their old location. Now they have some kind of fancy video conferencing system between the two locations so they can fit and measure people across the two locations.

It's kind of surreal sometimes walking into their old place, because you'd see some famous movie star's pattern sitting on the cutting table. They make for a lot of movies, so it's easy to see their work out and about.

--Andre

kngrimm

Reaction score
This is more for posterity's sake at this point, but Freddy Vandecasteele is my vote...

Amazing quality, fit and price. If you're in LA, you'd be silly not to seek him out...

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
This is more for posterity's sake at this point, but Freddy Vandecasteele is my vote...

Amazing quality, fit and price. If you're in LA, you'd be silly not to seek him out...

You guys are killing me here!
frown.gif

I will call Freddy daily and tell him my well dressed internet buddies are demanding that I get serviced by him!
biggrin.gif

kngrimm

Reaction score
Please don't do that... do what he said - call him in a couple months. Nothing good can come of badgering a person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads