• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on a Lauren by Ralph Lauren suit

iPadTwo

Reaction score
Just checked out the Macy's website and found this suit: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...BRAND%3DLauren by Ralph Lauren Mens%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D23

The description says it is a regular suit with a modern fit. What does that exactly mean? I am looking for a slimmer-cut suit and I was wondering if anyone has tried this suit on and could provide an advice as to whether this fits like a slim cut?

Thanks.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a suit on B&S an you'll get a much better deal.

cc3peat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Buy a suit on B&S an you'll get a much better deal.

+1

And $500 is very steep for Lauren by RL anyways. I see them on sale for $250-$300 all the time at my Macy's.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
+1 whatever

Or, check out thick as thieves, which makes slimmer-cut suits MTM. The owner is a member here (or at least used to be), and I think most members who have purchased suits from him have been pleased. (I have never purchased one, so I have no personal perspective to provide.) I think their suits come in at about the price point you're considering, and almost certainly will be "better" (no matter what subjective criteria define "better" for you) than that Lauren suit.

JMayle

Reaction score
Lauren by RL suits can be had for about $150 at most Marshalls or whatever they call them in your area.

bwp

Reaction score
Skip it, for that amount go for something from Suitsupply.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lauren by Ralph Lauren is the trash brand of RL. Had a look at them years ago before I new much about suits. Even then they looked terrible and felt terrible. I doubt their stuff improved since then...so I would not waste money on it.

iPadTwo

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I was considering these because they're 40% off right now, which makes it very affordable. I need a suit sometime very quickly, so I do not think MTM would be an option at this point....and I don't feel comfortable taking my own measurements and ordering online.

I've seen a DKNY suit at Macy's for around the same price range and was considering that as well...but it was wool/polyester. Thoughts?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iPadTwo
I've seen a DKNY suit at Macy's for around the same price range and was considering that as well...but it was wool/polyester. Thoughts?

You should checkout Jos A Banks.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I was considering these because they're 40% off right now, which makes it very affordable. I need a suit sometime very quickly, so I do not think MTM would be an option at this point....and I don't feel comfortable taking my own measurements and ordering online.

wool/polyester = terrible

Which is your price range? Not sure where you live...are there stores other than Macys within reach?

iPadTwo

Reaction score
I'm from NY and my price range is around 300-400. What other stores would be my option? I went to several other stores and it seems like macys would be my best choice.

Jermyn

Reaction score
I'm from NY and my price range is around 300-400.

Get to Century 21, you should be able to pick something pretty decent up for around $400.
Certainly better than Ralph's diffusion brand.

iPadTwo

Reaction score
It's currently going for about 250. Is it still too expensive? Better to get something else?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads