• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paleo diet

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah it is. who knows how much grain they actually ate. i'm not even sure if you could analyze stomach contents of a body several thousand+ years old

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That would be true as AB is the most American poster on SF.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Take that, Fartisan Pan!

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but there is plenty of evidence that they did eat grains. The thing to remember is the majority lived in a constant state of starvation. Disease and famine were rampant. I'm not sure were people got the idea that they were healthy by modern standards and should be idealized.

I'm pretty sure that is not true.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Life is sad for you without MetroStyles, isn't it?

Translation:

"Whoooooooo!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee!!! WOOOO-oooooooooo!!!"

(Those are whale sounds, because you're a fat whale, lawl)

gauche.story

Reaction score
Against: Humans routinely lived for only a few decades in ancient time.
Pro: Whole food is better for you, and much more nutritious

Against: Whole food is much more expensive by weight
Pro: You need to buy less, and you save money on health costs

Basically, you can eat a higher protein, less carb diet and get most of the benefits of the Paleo diet.

As far as diet gimmicks go, Paleo has a cool name, and it is pretty fun.

I like how it advocates getting quality food made by people who care. This is what everyone should do anyway.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gauche.story
Against: Humans routinely lived for only a few decades in ancient time.
This has nothing to do with the actual composition of the ancient diet, though, and everything to do with factors like no germ theory of disease, high risk of physical breakdown or death by any number of wild animals, accidents, no sanitation or personal hygiene, and various other "occupational hazards" associated with the prehistoric lifestyle. I mean, ****, without something approaching modern medicine, a broken leg might have been a death sentence 50,000 years ago. Try again, piggypork smoothbelly.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I eat what could be considered a "paleo" diet, however, I don't label myself "paleo" or "primal"; it all seems a bit too cultish to me. I follow the basic principles of the diet: no refined or processed carbohydrates, grains, and limited legumes. I eat a lot of meat, and probably am keeping D'Artagnan in business. I am not fanatic or obsessive about it, though. The term "orthorexia" implies an unhealthy obsession with your health. You will end up with more issues from stress and anxiety worrying about everything that you're putting into your mouth then if you actually ate everything you're "supposed" to; the idea is to be practical, but still exercise good judgment and common sense with the knowledge you have of what constitutes a healthy diet and what you can tolerate. Listening to your body and the signs it gives you is essential.

And to echo another post, just because cavemen did something does not necessarily mean we should as well. I enjoy cooking and fine dining, and when I go to a restaurant, I allow myself to enjoy it. Fussing over the polyunsaturated fats in the canola oil the chef is using, or whether the beef you're eating is grass fed is just not worth the overall hassle and worry. I've learned to take a moderate approach and just be mindful of it all. If I eat something I'm not supposed to, it's going to be in a chef's tasting menu, or something of high quality that is really worth it. Eat slow, savor what you eat, and you will be satisfied with much less.

Eating the foods we evolved to eat is most likely the healthiest diet. It does not have to be done in a fanatical or obsessive way, and it shouldn't be thought of as a "diet" in the current sense of the word. It's just a matter of living with common sense.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The surest sign of a sham intellectual is his need to justify every action with an elaborate philosophy, then give it a snappy name.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but there is plenty of evidence that they did eat grains. The thing to remember is the majority lived in a constant state of starvation. Disease and famine were rampant. I'm not sure were people got the idea that they were healthy by modern standards and should be idealized.
Do you have any evidence to support the claim that our ancestors lived in a constant state of starvation? Both the anthropological remains and eyewitness testimony of early European explorers suggest that much of the planet, prior to the last century or two, was a "paradise for hunting", in the words of Emory University anthropologist Melvin Konner, with a diversity of game, both large and small "present in almost unimaginable numbers." Famines have certainly been documented, but there's no reason to believe we were in a constant state of starvation prior to the agricultural revolution. How would we have survived and thrived as a species if this were actually the case? As far as disease being "rampant", I have no idea where you are getting this idea from. Seems more like an anally derived statistic than anything actually based on fact or evidence. And perhaps grains were consumed in very limited quantities prior to the advent of agriculture (though I haven't seen much evidence of this), however, they were certainly not in the refined and processed forms, entirely devoid of fiber, consumed today.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The surest sign of good food is that...mmmmmm....i love to eat...nom nom nom nom nom....nom nom nom....mmmmmm...mmmm...mmm...mmmmooooooooooo!!!!! mooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

FTFY

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I feel as if the theme song for this threak should be "Under the Bridge."

Like flies to a honey pot.

^_^

To all mah peepz in the DT who said my last album was The Chronic, who said rap's changed and want to know how I feel about it: if you ain't up on things, Dr. Dre be the name; I'm ahead of my game.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Really? I was thinking "Trapped in the Closet"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads