• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To undershirt or not to undershirt

nizzer

Reaction score
I'm still relatively new to suiting on a daily basis, old as I may appear.

Does everyone wear a white t-shirt under their dressshirts?

I tend to hate the look in a casual setting where you can see the white t-shirt at the edges of the button-down, but I think I can get the plusses of wearing an undershirt when suited up.

Thoughts?

Appreciated.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go without and keep your jacket on. Works if you don't sweat too much.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think wearing t shirts underneath looks stupid. If you have a sweating problem, get drysol, it works wonders.

Blamm

Reaction score
Yes. White or gray undershirt. Assuming you're wearing a tie - you can wear a v-neck or crew neck. If you aren't wearing tie - or may loosen/lose it - wear v

Roger Everett

Reaction score
I like having a free from snug feeling. Don't do no stinking undershirt. It's uncomfortable enough wearing underpants with a suit only.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey v-neck at all times is invisible and adds years to the life of my $300 shirts...

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those people that don't wear undershirts, do your nipples not show when wearing just a dress shirt?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many times do we have to go through this topic again?

Barnabus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
For those people that don't wear undershirts, do your nipples not show when wearing just a dress shirt?

Not at all

maybe i don't have pointy nips
lol8[1].gif

gsgleason

Reaction score
Try some CVS cloth tape over your nipples?

A common recommendation is to wear gray rather than white undershirts which supposedly is less noticeable on your arm.

Some shirts are more translucent than others. If your areolas are of a shade quite different than your surrounding skin, they will be noticeable.

Of the two evils, which is worse, seeing a man's nips through his shirt, or seeing the delineation at the end of his under shirt? I would vote that the latter is preferable.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm insanely sweaty, and drysol isn't going to keep my BACK from sweating through a shirt. I wear either grey or an olive drab, as they're both less visible than white. V-necks for open collar. Crew-necks for closed because the V sometimes shows through the shirt.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I'm insanely sweaty, and drysol isn't going to keep my BACK from sweating through a shirt. I wear either grey or an olive drab, as they're both less visible than white. V-necks for open collar. Crew-necks for closed because the V sometimes shows through the shirt.

Probably due to the relatively cheap fabric of many of my shirts, but not wearing an undershirt can lead to some very unpleasant chaffing. And we simply can't have that. No sir.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
V-necks for open collar. Crew-necks for closed because the V sometimes shows through the shirt.

+1; i always wear an undershirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads