• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the deal with Armani suits?

dernier_cri

Reaction score
I know that people here might have wildly varying opinions on Armani Collezioni. What is the fit like? Should I take the plunge on a new one for $600? Is it worth $600? I know it certainly isn't worth the $1800 price tag of retail. Thanks.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I just havent found one that fit me the way I like. Seems the lapel notch is always lower than i prefer.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giorgio Armani Black Label (GA BL) is the best Armani has to offer. I personally do not like fit or styling of the typical GA BL suit, but they are well made with nice fabrics and usually (but not always) have a full canvassed construction. I also notice they are still constructed with many of the "hand-made" features one usually associates or takes for granted with the Napoli based tailors, or even Brioni or Kiton. GA BL are good suits for those that like their look or prefer ventless backs (many GA suits are ventless, although you can pick up single or double vents occasionally). Were I interested in the GA BL suit, I would consider anything under $1000 to be a pretty good deal. However, with my eyes on other suit manufacturers, I would not purchase a GA BL for even $200, I simply do not like them well enough to put them on my radar.

As for Armani Collezioni, half canvassed typical, better cut than GA BL in my book, but worse quality of course. I would not bother spending $600 on it, if you can get it for $400, power to you, go for it. For $600, you would much prefer other brands like Canali, Isaia, Ralph Lauren Black Label etc - it depends on how well you like the fit and cut of other suits.

Armani Collezioni is not Giorgio Armani Black Label - quite different in fact.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll add one other point: I love the fuller/straight cut of Armani Collezioni trousers, and have found over time that Armani experiments wildly with alternative and man made materials like polyester. In general, I'm just not interested unless it's 90%+ wool (preferring 98% or 100%). If I were you, I'd keep an eye on the materials of the suits so you're not surprised post purchase to find that you got a 50/25/25 polyester/viscose/rayon modern novelty.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
I'll add one other point: I love the fuller/straight cut of Armani Collezioni trousers.

Me too! I largely avoid the fashion brands, but these trousers fit pretty dang well and the quality is quite passable. Good overall pants, I purchase several pairs at once if I pass an Armani outlet. I would not spend full retail on them though, but at $100 a pair on some sales, I like I like
bounce2.gif

Icehawk

Reaction score
I have an AC tuxedo and love it - their jackets are one of the few that fit me perfectly OTR so quality and SF approval take a back seat. The average person will think it is very nice too.

I saw a great AC linen SC recently at Nordstrom's and was glad they didn't have my size in stock... I would have considered full price.

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
For $600, you would much prefer other brands like Canali, Isaia, Ralph Lauren Black Label etc - it depends on how well you like the fit and cut of other suits.

Could you tell us where one can find Isaia or RLBL for $600 new?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by othertravel
B&S, Ebay. Even bluefly or Yoox (sometimes).
^this

boltzmann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Giorgio Armani Black Label (GA BL) is the best Armani has to offer. I personally do not like fit or styling of the typical GA BL suit, but they are well made with nice fabrics and usually (but not always) have a full canvassed construction. I also notice they are still constructed with many of the "hand-made" features one usually associates or takes for granted with the Napoli based tailors, or even Brioni or Kiton. GA BL are good suits for those that like their look or prefer ventless backs (many GA suits are ventless, although you can pick up single or double vents occasionally). Were I interested in the GA BL suit, I would consider anything under $1000 to be a pretty good deal. However, with my eyes on other suit manufacturers, I would not purchase a GA BL for even $200, I simply do not like them well enough to put them on my radar.

As for Armani Collezioni, half canvassed typical, better cut than GA BL in my book, but worse quality of course. I would not bother spending $600 on it, if you can get it for $400, power to you, go for it. For $600, you would much prefer other brands like Canali, Isaia, Ralph Lauren Black Label etc - it depends on how well you like the fit and cut of other suits.

Armani Collezioni is not Giorgio Armani Black Label - quite different in fact.

How much would you pay for a Paul Smith NWT?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boltzmann
How much would you pay for a Paul Smith NWT?

I have no idea - I know nothing about them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads