• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit to interviews?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I don't think I have ever seen a RTW 36L suit... Are you a true 36 or more like a 37? Because the alterations from a 38 to a 36 are pretty drastic. I should know, I've had it done when I was a 36, I'm sop happy I'm now a 38.

I bet I'm more of a true 37 or maybe 36.5. The 36 is ever so slightly tight, but definitely not bad at all. It fits a hell of a lot better than a 38.

Now that I've brushed up on how a suit should fit properly, I'm going to head to Zara to see if there are any suits I like and fit.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I bet I'm more of a true 37 or maybe 36.5. The 36 is ever so slightly tight, but definitely not bad at all. It fits a hell of a lot better than a 38.

Now that I've brushed up on how a suit should fit properly, I'm going to head to Zara to see if there are any suits I like and fit.

What is your suit budget? Per suit I mean.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
What is your suit budget? Per suit I mean.
I mean.. I'd be willing to spend up to $500 for a nice custom suit, like Thick as Thieves.. but really, it all comes down to whether I'd be required to wear a suit for my job. Most jobs these days, or the ones I'm applying for at least, are more business casual, so a nice suit isn't as necessary in my eyes. If a suit is required, I'd spend maybe up to 2 grand for a nice one. That being said, I'd be willing to drop up to $350 or $400 for a suit.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean.. I'd be willing to spend up to $500 for a nice custom suit, like Thick as Thieves.. but really, it all comes down to whether I'd be required to wear a suit for my job. Most jobs these days, or the ones I'm applying for at least, are more business casual, so a nice suit isn't as necessary in my eyes. If a suit is required, I'd spend maybe up to 2 grand for a nice one.

That being said, I'd be willing to drop up to $350 or $400 for a suit.

Depends where you live, but you could check out Filene's, C21, etc... and maybe find a decent 38 L and then have it tailored. If you were going to buy RTW at full price, something slim like Ralph Lauren Black Label is cut for your body. Even though its crappier, if you can find a drop 8 Z Zegna for a good price, that might be worth looking into as well.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M suits may seem like a steal, especially if you're in an environment where suit-wearing isn't all that common. But H&M suits are basically hipsterwear meant for clubbing and getting crap spilled on them while girls rub themselves on your lap. It's not the best option in your arsenal for a job interview.

I'd take the advice here of getting a decently priced suit that will be more versatile overall, and will last more than a year. Charcoal or deep navy, yada, yada, yada - I'm sure you've heard it before. Even a novice in a corporate setting can see the difference (I've had people called out where I work for wearing stuff that looks like crap - even in a "business casual" environment). Spend a bit, and get yourself a suit that will cover all bases. And then, if needs be, hang it up and never wear it again. But I promise you it will serve you more than something from H&M. Events will pop up where you may want to impress, and you won't be doing it in what you currently have.

I don't mean to be harsh, but when I see kids come in the office in suits like this - extremely skinny silhouettes, with pointy faux-crocodile shoes, 1-inch wide black ties, and fat black belts with a buckle the size of Texas, I can't help but laugh. They look like American Idol contestants / hosts. No one like that has ever been hired. Details are fun, but go a bit more conservative. I'm not saying wear something big so it doesn't fit you, but in office-wear there's a difference between "tailored" and "skinny".

Go with "tailored."

Hope this helps at all.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
H&M suits may seem like a steal, especially if you're in an environment where suit-wearing isn't all that common. But H&M suits are basically hipsterwear meant for clubbing and getting crap spilled on them while girls rub themselves on your lap. It's not the best option in your arsenal for a job interview. I'd take the advice here of getting a decently priced suit that will be more versatile overall, and will last more than a year. Charcoal or deep navy, yada, yada, yada - I'm sure you've heard it before. Even a novice in a corporate setting can see the difference (I've had people called out where I work for wearing stuff that looks like crap - even in a "business casual" environment). Spend a bit, and get yourself a suit that will cover all bases. And then, if needs be, hang it up and never wear it again. But I promise you it will serve you more than something from H&M. Events will pop up where you may want to impress, and you won't be doing it in what you currently have. I don't mean to be harsh, but when I see kids come in the office in suits like this - extremely skinny silhouettes, with pointy faux-crocodile shoes, 1-inch wide black ties, and fat black belts with a buckle the size of Texas, I can't help but laugh. They look like American Idol contestants / hosts. No one like that has ever been hired. Details are fun, but go a bit more conservative. I'm not saying wear something big so it doesn't fit you, but in office-wear there's a difference between "tailored" and "skinny". Go with "tailored." Hope this helps at all.
Thanks! Definitely does help. I guess I'm going to return my hm suit. And I would NEVER dress the way those kids you described do at an interview.. crocodile shoes? lol

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You won't not get a job because you are wearing a black suit or your jacket length is a few inches too short. If you have time or the opportunitiy to replace it, go ahead and get a jacket your size. If you have the chance to change the color to a shade of grey or navy blue, go for it. Otherwise, treat this as a learning opportunitiy and good luck with interviewing.

Max82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
Jacket length is too short and the sleeves are too short, it is just covered up by the fact that your shirt sleeves are too short also.
you look perfect for an interview. Was your jacket available in other colors? I need a blue jacket and I wouldn't spend so much...
Good luck!

Max82

Reaction score
you look perfect for an interview. Was your jacket available in other colors? I need a blue jacket and I wouldn't spend so much...
Good luck!

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you have 600 posts here and not know that your suit is way too short,
facepalm.gif

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
how do you have 600 posts here and not know that your suit is way too short,
facepalm.gif

Because I don't go to MC?

Anyway, I returned the suit.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jcrew is reasonable, go get a charchaol or navy suit ina 36R from there, it'll probably do better than the H&M. Second option would be Rugby RL.

I kinda doubt that you wear a 15.5" collar, I imagine that's probably about 1" too big. Size down until you can't button it then size up 1/2".

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Jcrew is reasonable, go get a charchaol or navy suit ina 36R from there, it'll probably do better than the H&M. Second option would be Rugby RL.

I kinda doubt that you wear a 15.5" collar, I imagine that's probably about 1" too big. Size down until you can't button it then size up 1/2".

I'm actually closer to a 16".. 15.5 is kinda tight, if anything.

I'm thinking of heading down to Zara to check out some suits.. I don't like the boxy cuts of Jcrew and such mall brand stores.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because I don't go to MC?

Anyway, I returned the suit.

Well, you do know this website is called Styleforum, right? So it may be helpful to you to start browsing the style oriented parts of the forum. It will be a big help to you professionally. If MC is too formal/traditional for you (which I think is BS), then there is Streetwear and Denim where people are equally knowledgeble about finding your size.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^lol

you make it sound like everybody that comes here is obligated to go to MC simply because this is STYLEforum

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads