• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paleo diet

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, here's my take - I honestly believe that there is a lot of wisdom in the idea that we should eat the foods that we evolved eating - we evolved eating a lot of various vegetables, fruits nuts, raw grains, meat and fish. we didn't evolve eating a diet of 90% cooked refined grains, which is where most people were at 100 years ago. that said, I don't follow a paleo diet, but I try to eat very little processed foods, and not very much refined and processed grains. I think that being too fanatic about it isn't good, either. and I am not sure that it is the best tool for long term health or weightloss.

*******, I like pasta and lots of it. However, I balance that by hitting the gym hard, getting lots of raw fruits and vegetables and over 1 g of protein per lb of body weight a day.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
It's three factors. 1. Total daily calorie intake. 2. Activity levels 3. Genetics. The thing to remember is everyone is different. That's why some people can eat like pigs all day, hardly ever work out and stay in "shape," while other people can maintain a perfect diet, work out frequently and struggle to achieve the body they desire. You have to figure out what works for you and not directly compare yourself to others. Science has consistently shown that a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss or gain. Worrying about carbs, sugar or fat won't do you nearly as much good as watching your total calorie intake and exercising enough to burn the excess calories away. The reason a lot of people loss weight when they start a diet like Paleo or Atkins is not because they cut out any type of "bad" food. It's because these diets are so restrictive in what you can and cannot eat, that the typical American ends up cutting out enough of their daily calorie intake to drop some excess weight.
Exactly. Look at Plitt:
GregPlitt24.jpg
He eats once a day... and its a massive meal; he sometimes eats 5 whole pizzas in one sitting. I could never do that. I need to break up my meals and eat at least 4-5 times per day (6-7 is actually better for me). I also have the misfortune of not having an even fat distribution, so my arms stay slim, but all the fat likes to stay around my mid-section. Compare that to a friend of mine whose fat likes to evenly distribute itself throughout his body, so he pigs out often (chocolate at 2 am, etc...) and looks terrific. To each his own, you just have to figure out what works for you. Also, most people will never, ever, ever, ever look like Plitt... deal with it (I have)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This is the most American thread on StyleForum.

That would be true as AB is the most American poster on SF.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this article made me think of this thread

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2011/...ghts.html#more

to whoever said beer was ok: beer - 9000 bc. paleolithic - 2mill to 10000 bc.

this claim of human not being evolved to eat certain foods is not true. paleo ppl cite milk as being bad for you as paleo humans didnt drink milk or eat milk products, but norther europeans seem to have very little lactose intolerance. isolated human populations also seem to be very well adapted to their own diets that are different from what paleo humans ate.

and who knows what a paleo human ate? certainly not grass fed, organic cows or free range chickens, especially not the kind that are alive today (ie bred through artificial selection for more milk, bigger size, etc)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum

this claim of human not being evolved to eat certain foods is not true. paleo ppl cite milk as being bad for you as paleo humans didnt drink milk or eat milk products, but norther europeans seem to have very little lactose intolerance. isolated human populations also seem to be very well adapted to their own diets that are different from what paleo humans ate.

and who knows what a paleo human ate? certainly not grass fed, organic cows or free range chickens, especially not the kind that are alive today (ie bred through artificial selection for more milk, bigger size, etc)

Chalk it up to all the cheese and chocolate.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Chalk it up to all the cheese and chocolate.
smile.gif

Yes, because coco beans grow in northern Europe.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but there is plenty of evidence that they did eat grains. The thing to remember is the majority lived in a constant state of starvation. Disease and famine were rampant. I'm not sure were people got the idea that they were healthy by modern standards and should be idealized.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
. I'm not sure were people got the idea that they were healthy by modern standards and should be idealized.
Come on! Most lived into their 30s. How many people today make it that long?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yes, because coco beans grow in northern Europe.
No, but they seem to find their way there pretty damn well. They went from milk, to cheese to chocolate... the natural evolutionary change of human culinary refinement. You like it, the chocolate? I mean the big ***** kind they have at wine tastings
wink.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but there is plenty of evidence that they did eat grains. The thing to remember is the majority lived in a constant state of starvation. Disease and famine were rampant. I'm not sure were people got the idea that they were healthy by modern standards and should be idealized.

Also, people idolize things they really don't understand. If it's not Paleo, than they want to eat like Spartans (Lacedaemon)... food has completely changed since the days of Lycurgus, Leonidas, and Menelaus.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, most people will never, ever, ever, ever look like Plitt... deal with it (I have)
I thought you had 5.3% body fat?
confused.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I thought you had 5.3% body fat?
confused.gif

'Had' is the optimal word (first long winter in NY, plus ****** diet due to crappy job, plus not going to the gym = ****** shape. I have been going back to the gym now and eating unbelievably well again). I have never had his muscle mass, and also, if you read post #62, you would have read "I also have the misfortune of not having an even fat distribution, so my arms stay slim, but all the fat likes to stay around my mid-section." So I can't get my arms / shoulders anywhere close to Plitt levels (not naturally anyways) and its basically impossible to spot-reduce fat from a particular area. I mention in passing that I love SF sniping regarding a post that is 3 years old.
rolleyes.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
The point, you missed it.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads