• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
myles. I hate you. Brooklyn in 1:27:27, complete with a two minute stop to void my insides at mile 9.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great times on those halves guys.
about11oclock - I think that given that time you should easily break 3:05 with marathon specific training.
myles - that type of time just a month or less after an ultra? awesome. just awesome. Day one of taper today - took it off after yesterdays 20. Going to run 50 this week, and 25 + marathon next week at equivalent intensity to what I have been doing.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
about11oclock - I think that given that time you should easily break 3:05 with marathon specific training.

Thanks Sam, scary, but motivating that you remember my goal
lookaround.gif

And, nothing easy about breaking 3:05, I think.

5 more recovery miles today, picked up the pace a little from last night.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Antirabbit, clarinetplayer, and sam, thanks for the support! My right knee and hip were giving me some issues so I passed on Saturday's run, but am looking forward to tonight's. We'll see how it goes.

One thing I can say is that I'm starting to notice things that annoy me about my shoes. Specifically, I wish they has less of a heel on them.

What shoes are you using?
Also, if you are not a true mid-foot runner, you have to be very careful to transition correctly, or pay the piper with some injuries to your lower legs. those suck, cause they are nagging issues that dont go away easily.
I can recomend a bunch of minimal heel to toe shoes if you like.
Do you know if you are a pronator or supinator?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got in just under 4 miles this morning. I had been running the same 6.25 mile route 3 of the last 5 days (along with a 10 mile route in there too) and have had continually improving times but decided I better give it a break for a few days so my legs don't get too tired and I don't get too bored of the route too quickly.

I've also been walking about 6 miles a day most days with a baby stroller. I want to try running with her in it, but just haven't yet... maybe this evening once through my neighborhood after work.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
What shoes are you using? Also, if you are not a true mid-foot runner, you have to be very careful to transition correctly, or pay the piper with some injuries to your lower legs. those suck, cause they are nagging issues that dont go away easily. I can recomend a bunch of minimal heel to toe shoes if you like. Do you know if you are a pronator or supinator?
Mild/Medium pronator, according to the guy at the running store. Shoes are Saucony ProGrid Guide 4. edit - it seems that most (all) of the minimal heel to toe shoes I find are for neutral runners. I am tempted to try the Nike Air Zoom Streak XC 2 just because they're really cheap and seem pretty optimally set up for a Warrior Dash type of run (lightweight, with a mesh upper to drain water/mud, and some traction on the sole). They're also not crazy low on padding so I'm hoping it'd be less of a shock.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
myles - that type of time just a month or less after an ultra? awesome. just awesome. Day one of taper today - took it off after yesterdays 20. Going to run 50 this week, and 25 + marathon next week at equivalent intensity to what I have been doing.

About11 - there is nothing wrong with a 1:27:27, that's a legit time.
Sam - Thanks for the compliment. What's funny about your ultra comment is that I more saw this as speed work for my next ultra (in less than 2 weeks) and less a quality run after my last ultra, though I was surprised by how well I ran.
What time are you aiming for at your marathon coming up?

As for the elusive 3:05. I just signed up for a summer marathon that I plan to use to attempt a BQ. We'll see how that goes...

Fatto_in_Italia

Reaction score
You guys are running way too fast..

Just got back from a nice run. Only wanted to go for an easy 10k as I hadn't run for over a week, but things felt good so I just kept on running. What do you know, just finished a half marathon in 1:43, 5 minutes faster than my fastest time, though I have only run two now..

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I have a good day on the 5th, I am hoping to go around 2:50-2:48 . based on a few of my fast finish long runs and the consistent training I have in I think I can hold a 6:30 pace. That being said, the goal with every marathon is to finish! Right now I am off to the track for my last real full workout before tapering.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
3.3 miles along the East River last night in 21:01. This morning ran 4.9 miles across the Queensboro Bridge in 33:39. Legs are feeling good. hopefully good enough for 50 miles in 10 days...

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Mild/Medium pronator, according to the guy at the running store. Shoes are Saucony ProGrid Guide 4.

edit - it seems that most (all) of the minimal heel to toe shoes I find are for neutral runners. I am tempted to try the Nike Air Zoom Streak XC 2 just because they're really cheap and seem pretty optimally set up for a Warrior Dash type of run (lightweight, with a mesh upper to drain water/mud, and some traction on the sole). They're also not crazy low on padding so I'm hoping it'd be less of a shock.

I run my track workouts in nike streak 2's - they are definitely a fast shoe with very few frills. For my first minimal-esque shoe I ran in Asics Speedstars. They are light and offer good support. I think they are on sale on roadrunnersports.com for like 60 bucks.

tonight: 10 miles including 6 x 1 mile with 3 mins rest. Was able to speed up through the workout fairly easily, and felt great on the last mile. Just the type of confidence booster to take into a taper.
Miles started at 5:30 and wound down to 5:13 for the last two.

thesecondprize

Reaction score
leisurely 2.87mi .. first run in 10 days due to foot soreness followed by work overload

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.5 @ 7:30/mile last night in Queens. 10x400 bright and early this morning.

edit: should really take a week off one of these days.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
7.6 miles in 49:47 this morning, mostly on the bridle path. Summer humidity is in the air but I need to get used to it. From what I'm told the race I'm running next week has very humid conditions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads