• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lenovo thread

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use an x200 at work. we all do. they are beasts. Small as hell, not too heavy, does everything and then some. We beat on them pretty hard out in the field with no issues.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
imo sony z series are not as durable (no milspec testing) and they're almost double the price. I do love the design tho.

I have tried many times to 'like' the Sony Z but I can't get past the keyboards. They are awful.

I am extremely fast typist, averaging 120-130wpm without thinking about it. I taught myself to type when I was about five or six and therefore do not follow the standard hand placement and only use three fingers on each hand.

I cannot live without the Thinkpad keyboard. Anything else just fails to work.

The Sony keyboards strike me as an egregious example of 'form over function.' Why all the wasted space between the keys? Why the horrible key feel? Why so long for the key to rebound? Key needs to get back up quick so I can hit it in again, most keyboards don't rebound quick enough and I find myself hitting still partially depressed keys.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
I use an x200 at work. we all do. they are beasts. Small as hell, not too heavy, does everything and then some. We beat on them pretty hard out in the field with no issues.

Seriously. I will never buy anything besides the x series again. Small, excellent battery life, even on full brightness, and light, even with the 9 cell.

If you want a nice speed boost, swap your hard drive for an SSD. I hardly ever use my desktop anymore.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tbh I'm a big fan of how they look. I see laptops like alienware and I feel like there's just way too many lines and ideas going on. I like how the thinkpad line looks simple, understated, and utilitarian like it's not here to **** around

this. i will be buying one as soon as my mbp dies

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I always hear great things about these laptops, but I wish they would step up the game in their designs. Never been a big fan of how they look.

It's a minimalist, no-frills design done just right. That's one of the many reasons I own Lenovos

montyharding

Reaction score
^i really wish the new generation had the same pixel count. 1440x900 with ips would be killer

imo sony z series are not as durable (no milspec testing) and they're almost double the price. I do love the design tho.

i think a close second to the thinkpad line in terms of user interface and aesthetics are the apple products and in terms of ruggedness and durability would be HP's elitebook series

Lenovo's are very surviveable - some of my machines have been through impacts that would give a Toughbook pause for thought, but I put the everyday durability in as a caveat. Elitebooks are good too. But it's a different kind of durability with the VAIO's - a more bamboo vibe, as it were. I've dropped flagship VAIO's down stairs and while they've been cracked and panels have popped out (sometimes it's just down to a few unsightly scuffs and popping back assemblies into place), they've for the most part worked. On the other hand, I've done similar things to heavier-for-spec Crapbook Pro's for example and they've expired, V/W-shaped or not, more often than not.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we've had information here and there, but I thought it might be nice if we had a thread I was going to buy and x201 during the black friday sales thanks to gqgeek, but i decided to wait for sandybridge and after a 3 week wait finally got my x220. I'm going to write a mini review in the next post. pretty excited for this company as they have a few new exciting products coming out like the X1 (macbook air competitor) and the Le pad (it's a hybrid computer where the screen is actually a tablet computer you can remove) anybody else own lenovo products?
I have the X220. Love it, screen is beautiful. Love the mini-review. I was hoping they would make an X220 with a 1440 high res. screen, but the way it is now looks great. The widescreen takes some getting use to.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Best Laptop Ever:
57111.jpg
Lenovo Thinkpad X120e Yes, it is so good.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ You and me both man.

*posted from my Lenovo x120e*

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I have been using IBM/Lenovos for the last decade. I currently use an X301. I think it is the best laptop ever made. I have 8GB of RAM in it, a Verizon WWAN card, and a 256GB SSD. It has a six cell battery and a three cell battery in the option bay. It has a 13.3" 1440x900 screen with an extremely bright LED backlight. It weighs 3.2lbs, has the best laptop keyboard in the world, has better fit and finish than the average Lenovo (X301 had a more expensive rubberized finish), and is extremely thin. I work from home a lot, and live near the water. On a beautiful day I take the laptop to a waterfront park and sit in the sun. I get about 3 hours of battery life with the screen on full brightness (extremely legible in direct sunlight) and WWAN. Unfortunately Lenovo did not continue to develop this model. It cost $4000 or so when it was new and was a poor seller. I picked mine up brand new for $900. It is underpowered in the processor department (SU9400 1.4GHz) but the fast SSD more than makes up for it for most work. Even with a VM or two for testing things it is still quite fast (when plugged in)
+1. I've been abusing the x301 every day for early 3 years now (I know cause my warranty is expiring this month). It's never had a problem except I had to replace the AC adapter last month cause the end was too chewed up. The only reason I would upgrade to something else is if it had a 1440 IPS screen, and it would have to be a thinkpad. I have two batteries but have used only 1 for most of this time and I still get 1.5 hours life on full brightness with it. Love this thing. I'm typing on it from the ******* right now!

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X301 are nice, only ever seen one in person. Iroh, X120e is NOT the X1 correct?

Bentech

Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
X301 are nice, only ever seen one in person. Iroh, X120e is NOT the X1 correct?

Correct, the X120e is a cheaper netbook style computer with an AMD Fusion Processor.

The X1 is Lenovo's newest ultra-thin laptop set to be released tomorrow. It features full power Intel processors (All the way up to the i7 dual-cores) and is set to be roughly 3 times the price of the x120e

I am extremely excited to pick one up!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just dont understand how they could choose a 13" screen and have it be the same pixel ratio as the 12" screen.

also would prefer the traditional thinkpad keyboard over the island, but maybe that's just me. island is pretty nice with keeping crumbs out of the keyboard

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree i wish Lenovo would have opted for 1440x900 instead of 1366 x 768. MacBook Air 13" has 1440x900.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics