• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles area: Recommend MTM/MTO shirt makers please.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,

Sorry if this doesn't warrant a new thread. I searched a bit and couldn't find anything that correlates to what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to get some MTO/MTM shirts for myself. OTR shirts don't fit me too well.

I have some decent fitting shirts now, mall brands that have been tailored to fit me better. But I'm looking for shirts of higher quality now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

I'm in the Los Angeles area. But I will be willing to travel as far down as the OC.

Cheers.
bigstar[1].gif

EDIT: I went to Mr. Lee as suggested in the thread. For the first shirt, I was happy with the outcome. For the second and third shirts, I saw the craftsmanship falling off. I will no longer be heading back because I don't think the almost $200 per shirt is worth it.

I am back to square one now. Freddy is still busy and not taking in new customers, haha.

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Richard Lim might make custom shirts, too. I never really researched MTM shirts in LA, because I'm quite happy with my modern tailor MTM shirts.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
This place.

Also, Richard Lim might make custom shirts, too.

I never really researched MTM shirts in LA, because I'm quite happy with my modern tailor MTM shirts.

Richard Lim does do shirts, but at similar prices as Freddy Vandecasteele, and Freddy IS THE man to see. He's hands down amazing.

As for other options, Ascot Chang comes to mind. They market bespoke, but I've always got the MTM vibe when reading about it.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Richard Lim might make custom shirts, too.

I never really researched MTM shirts in LA, because I'm quite happy with my modern tailor MTM shirts.

Hi pal,

Thanks for the quick help.

The reason I want to stay local is so I can have the person measure me in person. I emailed Richard and the comments in regards to Freddy look very promising.

Thank you again.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
Richard Lim does do shirts, but at similar prices as Freddy Vandecasteele, and Freddy IS THE man to see. He's hands down amazing.

As for other options, Ascot Chang comes to mind. They market bespoke, but I've always got the MTM vibe when reading about it.

I need to stop by some time.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Studio City is actually only a 15 min drive for me. One of the reviews stated that a shirt is how much roughly a Boss shirt run with tapering from a tailor. I assume he will charge about $150 per shirt. I will call Freddy tomorrow for more details.
biggrin.gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a quick Google on Ascot Chang and I get the sense that his fees are quite expensive.
tinfoil.gif

Going off from your quote, if Lim and Freddy charge the same or similar prices....Freddy's quality would be the better of the two.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I did a quick Google on Ascot Chang and I get the sense that his fees are quite expensive.
tinfoil.gif

Going off from your quote, if Lim and Freddy charge the same or similar prices....Freddy's quality would be the better of the two.

I was talking about Freddy. I wouldn't switch from my current MTM to try another MTM. Full bespoke is a whole different matter though, so I might stop by Freddy's place after the next bonus.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you have one of Freddy V's shirts, you will understand why he receives so much praise. There is also Anto in Beverly Hills, 6 shirt minimum at approx. $250 a shirt for basic fabrics. But it might be more now.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking about Freddy. I wouldn't switch from my current MTM to try another MTM. Full bespoke is a whole different matter though, so I might stop by Freddy's place after the next bonus.
How do you like Modern Tailor? I'm asking because I see the prices are pretty low, even for OTR mall brand shirts.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
How do you like Modern Tailor? I'm asking because I see the prices are pretty low, even for OTR mall brand shirts.
An occasional mistake here or there, but I've been more than satisfied. I posted some shirt fits in the modern tailor thread that I won't repost here; you can search for them if you're interested. I'd say I'm very happy with them for the price they offer. Also, FWIW, I long stopped looking at OTR shirts.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called Freddy today and unfortunately he is not taking in new customers at the moment. He said I can call back in a couple of months to see if he has more time then.

The folks at Richard Lim got back to me. They told me that there are no limits when it comes in ordering shirts and a shirt ranges from $225-275.

Should I also inquire with Ascot Chang and Anto? I inquired with Ascot Chang and I was told I need to put in an order with no less than 4 shirts, starting at $200 per shirt. I browsed Anto's website and there are no contact information. I tried to Yelp Anto as well, but no luck.

I'm tempted to get one shirt from Richard Lim to see how the quality and call Freddy back in several months to see if he has any openings by then.

I don't mind the 4 order minimum for Ascot Chang, but I'm kind of hesitant because I don't know what to expect since it will be my first time requesting their service.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
Freddy Vandecasteele, and Freddy IS THE man to see. He's hands down amazing.

This. Freddy is straight bespoke. He files the paper patterns for all of his clients in a metal file drawer. Best fitting shirt you're likely going to get in L.A. I'm sure he can get most any fabric you want. Very reasonably priced as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads