• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Are those Albers' on your wall?

I wish!
laugh.gif

The stuff on our walls is mostly Verner Panton (vintage stretched fabrics) and contemporary paintings.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
Incredible Edit: Going through the rest of the photos of that house I'm so jealous. I love it http://www.kalach.com/casaromany01.html Edit: Unless I pulled up the wrong satellite photo the neighborhood is awful. I need that house in the middle of the woods. Not surrounded by the 800 Mcmansions

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm digging up photos from the first built project of all the major modern architects. Very interesting stuff. I'll put it together later, but I'll leave one here for your consideration.
mi1.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
While not his first design, the Venturi house is almost an identical play on symmetry to the one above: symmetrical form, centralized entrance, asymmetrical ground level windows, chimney displaced off to the left. Very clever, Robert!
LIVE.25-Venture_Vanna.jpg

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modernist architecture is so breathtakingly dull and unimaginative. Geometric heaps of steel, glass, and reinforced concrete piled together like fallen shipping containers.

I don't know how this awful trend was resuscitated after thirty years, but I wish it would go away again.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like buildings that have a rapport with the history and aesthetics of their location. I was walking around today and kept thinking to myself that traditional 'staircase houses' of central Montreal are great. The neighbourhoods they're in would be even better if the main floor was devoted to commerce, but that's a question of urbanism, not architecture.
tumblr_ll1wmdGNi01qah55ao1_500.jpg
tumblr_lkncyd2SeQ1qjdh6zo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ljijo5TwIC1qildjuo1_500.jpg
maison-architecture-montreal-canada-639696.jpg
montreal-qu005.jpg
In contrast with the ugliness and "out-of-place-ness" of something like Habitat '67:
tumblr_lk8438RtjG1qhatz1o1_500.jpg

roryben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Modernist architecture is so breathtakingly dull and unimaginative. Geometric heaps of steel, glass, and reinforced concrete piled together like fallen shipping containers.

I don't know how this awful trend was resuscitated after thirty years, but I wish it would go away again.

Originally Posted by StephenHero
Show us what you like.

It's a sweeping statement to say "modernist architecture" is so bad. But, to be fair, most of the things people seem to be posting and liking in here are smaller residential or boutique-office kind of size, and mostly seemingly surrounded by plush greenery and mountain views. The nature aspect makes all these projects easier to swallow. I'd like to see some examples of more urban projects that people are into, and some larger projects in here that people like.

(I think it would be a lot harder, which I think is holymadness's point...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads