• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

critique wanted

stevet47

Reaction score
This is for an outdoor wedding this weekend in San Diego.

My critique.... Shorten jacket sleeves by 1/2", exchange pants for next longer size, get white pocket square, buy brown shoes that aren't from the 90's.

Your critique?

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

mmhollis

Reaction score
The jacket actually appears to be too big. There's a gap between where your shirt and the jacket around the neckline, however it could be how you're standing?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks OK, but you really need to fix the collar.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Try a darker tie, perhaps deep textured navy blue; if you match the cream tie to the cream jacket it may look a bit washed out with the grey trousers and tan shoes.

You could wear the trousers a touch lower if need be and/or put on a pair of interesting socks or something, in which case the trouser length will be ok as long as it does not ride up too far to expose pale man-flesh.

I think the collar is a matter of posture?

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Agree with your thoughts re trousers and shoes (brown-tipped spectators, perhaps, would work). If you're taking the trousers back, a tan pair might work nicely. But that's a matter of personal taste.

Regarding the coat, I don't think it is too big (seems to fit in the shoulders and length of jacket), but you're right about the sleeves. And, as others have said, you need to do something about that collar, but it may just be popping out due to your having to hold the camera. A good tailor should be able to fix you up, but get it in ASAP so they have time to do a good job before the weekend.

Additionally, although it may be just the lighting, it looks like with your complexion you might benefit from a light/med blue shirt to help provide some contrast. (Personally, I can't wear cream colored jackets at all as they wash me out.)

Cheers,
AEP

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Brighter tie and a colorful pocketsquare. Jacket fit seems OK enough other than the already mentioned sleeve and collar issues.

Arsenal

Reaction score
Just to recap:

- Figure out what's going on with the jacket collar.
- Sleeve length needs attention (as you noted)
- You need to find more contrast in the top half of the outfit. Right now, the balance is off when comparing the top half of the outfit to the bottom half. I'd look at changing the tie or shirt - ideally finding something with a hint of grey to properly help bring your pants into the equation.

stevet47

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.
I hadn't noticed the collar issue.
Also, the tie is actually a golden yellow, it is just hard to see in the pics.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevet47
This is for an outdoor wedding this weekend in San Diego.

My critique.... Shorten jacket sleeves by 1/2", exchange pants for next longer size, get white pocket square, buy brown shoes that aren't from the 90's.

Your critique?

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

on the sleeves, a half inch will not do it. first make sure that your shirt sleeves are no longer than to the base of your thumb. then the coat sleeves stop and show 1/4" to 1/2" of the shirt sleeves.
the collar gaps a good deal at the back because of the heavy curve of your back and fore ward angle of the head and neck.
raising and shortening the collar may help. but there may not be enough cloth underneath the collar to raise it.
in the back the waist and hip area is too tight. needs to be let out. note the vent gaps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads