• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo Help

rengler22

Reaction score
My big day is coming up on July 2nd. I'm looking to buy a tux in the price range of $600-$700. Can I get something decent for that? Or will I need to up the budget?

As I said, the wedding is on July 2nd so I don't have a ton of time to look, buy, and have it tailored. I know B&S and GILT have some great deals but I'm just not sure I'll come across one of those in time.

So...Where would you all suggest I look? I live in Indianapolis, IN so there isn't a Rack or Off 5th for me to check out so I think I would mostly be looking online. Or would it be worth a 3.5 hour trip to Chicago to look at those stores mentioned?

Any tips on buying a tux are also appreciated. I'm looking for something modern fitting while maintaining the classic look. So any pointers you guys can give would be great on how to achieve that.

tgt465

Reaction score
1) If $700 is supposed to include shoes, cummerbund, shirt, tie, cufflinks, studs and suspenders then your budget will be very limiting. You can try Jos. A Bank for their Signature peak lapel tuxedo, as this is in your price range and has all the correct features for a classic tuxedo. You should be able to pick this up for less than $400 on sale, leaving the rest for shoes and the other stuff. If you can up the budget, $1000 (less sales/discounts) gets you a Brooks Brothers tuxedo which is arguably better quality.

2) If your wedding is in the daytime, do not wear a tuxedo.

3) Make sure to read http://blacktieguide.com/ for a comprehensive guide to picking a classically correct tuxedo.

rengler22

Reaction score
$600-$700 would be strictly the tuxedo. I already have a pair of AE tux shoes and will be sourcing the other items individually.

Is the BB tux something that is readily available right now? Or is this something I would need to wait for a sale or find on B&S?

And thanks a lot for the link. Looks very interesting and I'll be reading it closely.

tgt465

Reaction score
You can get the BB tuxedo online, right now, for $1000 (jacket and pants). I don't know about upcoming sales, but BB has their corporate membership program that gets you 15% off, if your company participates.

rengler22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Those patent leather tanks that AE sells? I'd shop around a little longer personally.

OK - Any specific suggestions, or at least what I should look out for as far as shoes go?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rengler22
My big day is coming up on July 2nd. I'm looking to buy a tux in the price range of $600-$700. Can I get something decent for that? Or will I need to up the budget?

As I said, the wedding is on July 2nd so I don't have a ton of time to look, buy, and have it tailored. I know B&S and GILT have some great deals but I'm just not sure I'll come across one of those in time.

So...Where would you all suggest I look? I live in Indianapolis, IN so there isn't a Rack or Off 5th for me to check out so I think I would mostly be looking online. Or would it be worth a 3.5 hour trip to Chicago to look at those stores mentioned?

Any tips on buying a tux are also appreciated. I'm looking for something modern fitting while maintaining the classic look. So any pointers you guys can give would be great on how to achieve that.

Can I be a bit controversial? If the wedding ceremony is before 6pm but you do not want to wear the full morning coat, what about going for what is known in Italy as "half morning coat" (mezzo tight)?

IMO is 100 times better then a tux for a wedding ceremony.

It looks like the guy on the foreground in the following picture:
http://www.isognatori.com/img_sposi/tight.jpg

Or here a close up:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dTu668PvgU...2520chiaro.jpg

I will campaign going forward for this look against the Tux ;-)

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Someone else's wedding isn't the place to fire the opening salvo on the morning coat campaign.

I think it is worth in this type of forum to steer people towards better form dress codes for those "once in a lifetime" events.

The positive aspect of the "Half" morning dress that can be also easily put together just with a regulat one button SB in black or characoal, a striped grey trouser and that both could be "recycled" for other use later as could the white, french cuff, shirt.

y3ahind0

Reaction score
Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I have tux 40R for sale.. Finding a tux at price range of $600 could be a challenge. The selections are limited to Jos A Bank, J Crew, etc. Most stores like Bloomingdale sell a Zzegna for around 1200. Brooks Brother has several nice tuxedo for $1000 and up.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers semi-annual sale should be in the next couple of weeks.

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Couple years ago I picked up a Joseph Abboud for around $500 online. I like that it had grosgrain instead of satin lapels. It's a great looking tux.

You may be able to find something similar from a reasonably respectable line, assuming you fit a standard size without much alteration.

(People here at SF may sniff that the tux I bought is likely fused rather than canvassed, but for the 2x a year I wear it that pricepoint made sense.)

Congratulations,
AEP

rengler22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Brooks Brothers semi-annual sale should be in the next couple of weeks.

Does BB have any fairly modern fitting tuxes? I would be looking for something somewhat slim fitting and with flat front pants. I think it is their Fitzgerald suit that fits that description, so I am wondering if the tux would too.

Any idea what a $1k tux would run during the semi-annual sale?

Also - I'm a 40R so anyone who has something they are trying to unload, feel free to PM me.

nelly

Reaction score
Fitzgerald is fairly slim fitting (many threads on this). Only issue would be that the notch lapel which is not as traditional.

The midnight blue tuxedo on Mr. Porter by Richard James looks awesome, maybe you could find some discount code:
http://www.mrporter.com/product/162324

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads