• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite albums of 2011

phildo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I've yet to hear a really good album.
I'm kinda in the same boat. Honourable mentions: Demdike Stare - Triptych The Weeknd - House of Balloons Peaking Lights - 936 Mountains - Air Museum Andy Stott - Passed Me By

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I was hoping the new Panda Bear album would be my favorite, but it's been the most disappointing album in a long while.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot about Cut Copy, probably deserves a mention. And why has no one told me about this video before now?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
So far i've liked 'Helplessness Blues' by Fleet Foxes, and I haven't listened to it yet but I think Explosions in the Sky put something out kind of recently.

I just read about 'Rome' and want to check it out. I didn't think it was that sort of project but I also think I heard they might try to tour w/ it.

The new Bon Iver should be pretty good too.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Funny, as long as Destroyer has been around, I just discovered it this year. Some of the songs are so good that, at certain sublime moments, they provide a fleeting glimpse into the musical equivalent of satori. I'm not even being pretentious - I actually mean it.

totally agree, like the woodwinds on Suicide Demo and that buildup towards the end of Bay of Pigs... incredible. Chinatown, too. also only heard about them this year (saw the video for Kaputt and was instantly hooked). i think from what i read this album is their first foray into the really jazzy elements, and damn it sounds good. i laughed when one reviewer likened them to a Kenny G revival, lol. with so many standout tracks i have yet to hear any other 2011 release that's as complete. Zonoscope might be a distant second but that's about it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
totally agree, like the woodwinds on Suicide Demo and that buildup towards the end of Bay of Pigs... incredible. Chinatown, too. also only heard about them this year (saw the video for Kaputt and was instantly hooked). i think from what i read this album is their first foray into the really jazzy elements, and damn it sounds good. i laughed when one reviewer likened them to a Kenny G revival, lol. with so many standout tracks i have yet to hear any other 2011 release that's as complete. Zonoscope might be a distant second but that's about it.
The guy is almost as anal Axl Rose when it comes to being a perfectionist with every small detail. The difference is that he makes it sound natural. The distorted guitar bits subtly placed through Kara Walker get me every time. Also, bay of pigs as a whole is just so epic. It's a cross between Lou Reed, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Pulp all together on a balmy Miami morning during a coke comedown in 1983.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cut copy album was awesome

Originally Posted by aphextwin07
honestly was surprised to see this mentioned here, in the first post no less. definitely the best album i've heard so far this year. actually Miami Horror's Illumination is the best album i've heard all year but it came out in 2010. unfortunately I missed Destroyer a couple months back cuz it was raining out and i was sick and just didn't feel like getting over to the show, biggest regret so far this year.

also:

The Holidays - Post Paradise (technically 2010, but released in Japan 2011-does that count? haha)
Cut Copy - Zonoscope
Friendly Fires - Pala
Starfucker - Reptilians
Bibio - Mind Bokeh
Holy Ghost - Holy Ghost

and anticipating Junior Boys - It's All True

acularw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SD1
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

I heard a lot of hype for this album and was a little disappointed with it. It's solid but not great. I am looking forward to seeing them at Lollapalooza though. Great live band.

I have been pretty disappointed with most recent albums I have tried getting into so I haven't listened to much music lately. I do still need to give fleet foxes and bon iver albums a good listen - hopefully they aren't a huge drop off from their debuts...

wootx

Reaction score
the king of limbs - radiohead
take care, take care, take care - explosions in the sky

looking forward to upcoming albums by yes, rush, primus, opeth, and tool

Dibidoolandas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Easy, w h o k i l l.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Also: The Twilight Singers - Dynamite Steps
Destroyer - Kaputt
Bright Eyes - The People's Key

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do believe it was 2010, but the best album I have heard in a while is the Janelle Monae album.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads