• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

inq89

Reaction score
I am nearing a 42 chest due to weightlifting but am lean and stay around a 32 waist. Since suit makers don't have drop 10 suits, do I have to resort to buying suit separates? I'd like to buy my first legit suit (1818 fitzgerald) but it seems BB 42 suits are only available in 36 pants. Can a tailor take in 36 pants to a 32 without drastically re-cutting it?

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
Any suit brands that usually have higher cut armholes? I'm hoping that'll stop my shoulders from rising to my ears when I bring my arms up.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
I noticed a great Isaia, and a nice Boglioli suit without buttons on the sleeves, just basting.
This kinda put me off buying them. What is the general consensus regarding buttonless sleeves on jackets?

Mac

Reaction score
The "buttonless sleeves on jackets" are there so your tailor can get the correct sleeve length for you, just like unhemmed trousers. The respective Isaia and Boglioli suits should come with buttons for the sleeves.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by easy_golfing
what shoes are these

campbellkliefoth20101214_0014a.jpg

Nice set. I'd bet money those are Aldens.

Originally Posted by inq89
I am nearing a 42 chest due to weightlifting but am lean and stay around a 32 waist. Since suit makers don't have drop 10 suits, do I have to resort to buying suit separates? I'd like to buy my first legit suit (1818 fitzgerald) but it seems BB 42 suits are only available in 36 pants. Can a tailor take in 36 pants to a 32 without drastically re-cutting it?

Yes. But consider the Regent model, which to my understanding has a 7" inch drop to the Fitz's 6".

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the outer limit, but it can be done.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
The "buttonless sleeves on jackets" are there so your tailor can get the correct sleeve length for you, just like unhemmed trousers. The respective Isaia and Boglioli suits should come with buttons for the sleeves.

Thanks for the reply. Thing is I hope the buttons are with the suit when t's sent. I'm going for the Isaia

Hotel Guy

Reaction score
Found a great pair of oliver peoples sunglasses the other day at the mall (Maceo - smoke). Does anyone have a reputable recommendation for a good place online where I might be able to save a few bucks?
Ive looked around but oliver peoples dont seem to be sold through too many retailers. Thanks

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, that would almost certainly require a re-cut. Same for almost any other major change in waist size.

There is another option. Look for an athletic cut suit. Try searching the forum for threads with lists of them.

zanderman

Reaction score
What (affordable) brands make a larger shirt collar? I want something with 3.25-3.75 inch points, ideally.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by easy_golfing
the suede in the picture looks to be lighter. or is it the same?
I think they are different colors. Linked the site because it tells you the last, maker, and a rough price range. My favorite color for that shoe is actually blue
smile.gif

refinery

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about the fit of Aquascutum slim fits.

Comparable to Express/UC of Benetton/Hugo Boss Black or other mall brands, how does the Aquascutum slim fits squeeze in between those brands and etc.?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads