• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tucking in the tie

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

Fantastic! I will clip and save this!!!!!!!!!!

For reference the next time I want to go to a costume party as "Louie 'Checks' Malnati, little-known Capone henchman".

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tie tucking? is this anything like penis tucking, like that dude in Silence of the Lambs?

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
lurker[1].gif

I dont think this is a reply that is setting up for a long drawn out conversation and/or lashing. In fact, there is a very big issue with being a below average height male and trying to dress correctly. Of course, I could get my ties custom made, and I am planning to slowly invest in the staple ties in sizes custom made for me. Until then, I promise you that having the tie clipped up is neither noticeable nor a bad idea when compared to the alternative of tucking in between shirt buttons or having my back blade longer than my front.

Originally Posted by BostonUSpartan
Just have the narrow end of the tie shortened for $7 by your local dry cleaner. How hard is that? Or, take scissors to the damn thing.

It is not hard to do that at all. I have tried, and unfortunately for me it had created problems. I've had ties start to get fabric pulls in weird areas because of the alteration and I've had them fray at the end. But, that all said, it might be worth giving it another shot with someone more professional.

atila

Reaction score
I had my tailor shorten my ties for me. Cost me about $10-12/each if I recall. No issues with the ties at all, just the point on the narrow end looks a little funky, but no big deal.

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
By the way, FIH is old-hat.

Say it ain't so! Am I broadcasting my dotage by using a four-in-hand? I've always found it quite jaunty--a sartorial relief from stuffy Windsors.

Mortified,
AEP

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
By the way, FIH is old-hat. The better way to tie the FIH that also cures the length problem is the double wrap FIH. Just do an additional twist during the tying process and shave off a few inches from the small end.

Double FIH is very 2007.

QBNCGAR

Reaction score
Kinda funny...I do a double four-in-hand and I barely have anything left of the short end of my tie. Of course I'm 6' 5".

Even for a short guy, that knot takes up a bunch of material. Plus it looks cool (at least I think so).

AxlJack

Reaction score
Ummmm.....

Im sorry but maybe this is getting way too complicated than it should be. There are two ways to fix this:

tietying.jpg

I just had to make this on paint... it was getting too ridiculous......

You can do both as well

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AxlJack
Ummmm.....

Im sorry but maybe this is getting way too complicated than it should be. There are two ways to fix this:

tietying.jpg

I just had to make this on paint... it was getting too ridiculous......

You can do both as well

I can't make any damn sense of the diagram to the right (side view).

Maybe this is why I never went into engineering.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf is going on here? People are actually saying it's okay to tuck a tie into your pants? Don't do that! Crazy stuff...

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
I can't make any damn sense of the diagram to the right (side view).

Maybe this is why I never went into engineering.

I misunderstood and thought all along that the OP's front blade was too long. If the back blade is hanging below, clearly he is doing something grossly wrong. OTOH, tucking the back blade is not hyper-egregious. I thought the point at issue was tucking the front of the fie.

I think the picture on the right is of a turbine.

AxlJack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
I misunderstood and thought all along that the OP's front blade was too long.

lol i didnt even think about that when I read the OPs statement...... well if thats the case my solution wont work .....
plain.gif

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why not just send them to TieCrafters to have them shortened? They're ridiculously cheap. Just stress to them that you don't want the tie cleaned or pressed; otherwise they may ruin your ties.

AxlJack

Reaction score
Cut the ******* back end MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
evil-laugh-o.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads