• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
What's your itinerary? I have 11 films lined up at the Sydney Film Festival.

Outrage
Trollhunter
Another Earth
Perfect Sense
Fire of Conscience
A Barefoot Dream
Juan
Vampire
Burke and Hare
Revenge: A Love Story
Gandu
Love
Norwegian Wood
4 films in the secret festival

and probably gonna add 2 or 3 others. Looking at the following:
As If I'm Not There
The Redemption of General Butt Naked
Poupoupidou (Nobody Else but You)
Black Bread

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Outrage
Trollhunter
Another Earth
Perfect Sense
Fire of Conscience
A Barefoot Dream
Juan
Vampire
Burke and Hare
Gandu
Love
Norwegian Wood

As If I'm Not There
Black Bread

Cool. I'll have a look through it. The site is a bit of a pain to navigate. I already see one I passed on, "˜The Troll Hunter'. The trailer shows it to be more of a fantasy film than horror. I was hoping it'd be the latter. No Miranda July's latest "˜The Future'?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cool. I'll have a look through it. The site is a bit of a pain to navigate. I already see one I passed on, "˜The Troll Hunter'. The trailer shows it to be more of a fantasy film than horror.

That was my second movie of the night.
I liked it. Not "horror" per se. Nor really "fantasy" either. It's entertaining though.
Kind of a Cloverfieldesque monster movie/ found film mocumentary. Less sci-fi and more Grimm's Fairy Tales.

No Miranda July's latest "˜The Future'?
A: It's playing at inconvenient times. One showing I am at work, the other happens right between two movies I'm more interested in.

B: It's getting very tepid reviews.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outrage
Trollhunter
Another Earth
Perfect Sense
Fire of Conscience
A Barefoot Dream
Juan
Vampire
Burke and Hare
Gandu
Love
Norwegian Wood

As If I'm Not There
Black Bread

You watch a lot of movies. People think I watch a lot of movies, but I've got nothing on you.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
That was my second movie of the night.
I liked it. Not "horror" per se. Nor really "fantasy" either. It's entertaining though.
Kind of a Cloverfieldesque monster movie/ found film mocumentary. Less sci-fi and more Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Based solely on its synopsis, I'd have bought a ticket. After looking at the trailer, it just wasn't what I expected.

A: It's playing at inconvenient times. One showing I am at work, the other happens right between two movies I'm more interested in.

B: It's getting very tepid reviews.

Fair enough.

These are the SIFF films that have piqued my interest:

Silent Souls (I shall be seeing it at the Sydney Film Festival)
The White Meadows (again, seeing at SFF)
The Future (SFF)
Artificial Paradises
The Most Important Thing in life Is Not Being Dead
Black Field
Flying Fish
The Off Hours
Bellflower
Rene Goes to Hollywood
Clink of Ice
Kosmos
Silent Sonata

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Watched Seijun Suzuki's Zigeunerweisen yesterday. It was pretty fascinating, but I feel like there was a lot of stuff in it that I just didn't understand.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^how would you compare it to other suzuki films? Branded to kill is a personal favorite, but I've only seen a few of his, not zigeunerwisen

Watched a lot of movies in the last two days. Catching up on some DVDs I bought a year ago and still haven't watched until now... Currently making my way through my Herzog/Kinski box, loving every second of it. Rewatching some Cassavetes as well, it's been too long since last time. Planned to watch Wings of Desire earlier today but it the disc doesn't play properly so I might just watch something else entirely. Shinoda's Pale Flower perhaps...

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
^how would you compare it to other suzuki films? Branded to kill is a personal favorite, but I've only seen a few of his, not zigeunerwisen

Have you seen Kagero-za or Yumeji? They're basically the second and third parts, respectively, of a trilogy that starts with Zigeunerweisen. It's a period drama set in the Taishō period that has some supernatural elements - so it basically has almost relation to his Yakuza films. It's a little slow, heavy on dialogue, and very cryptic at times. That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but it really is pretty good!
laugh.gif

Watched a lot of movies in the last two days. Catching up on some DVDs I bought a year ago and still haven't watched until now... Currently making my way through my Herzog/Kinski box, loving every second of it. Rewatching some Cassavetes as well, it's been too long since last time. Planned to watch Wings of Desire earlier today but it the disc doesn't play properly so I might just watch something else entirely. Shinoda's Pale Flower perhaps...
Great movie. You should watch it ASAP.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good actually!
laugh.gif
Will check out his non-yakuza stuff then. Been wanting to see gate of flesh for a while as well.

Originally Posted by dwyhajlo
Great movie. You should watch it ASAP.

Yeah, it's great. Seen it a few times but that was a couple of years ago, it's time to watch it again.

Nomy?

Reaction score
any Q. Tarantino film
inglorious bastards

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Based solely on its synopsis, I'd have bought a ticket. After looking at the trailer, it just wasn't what I expected.

You shouldn't expect things. Problem solved.

Fair enough.

These are the SIFF films that have piqued my interest:

Silent Souls (I shall be seeing it at the Sydney Film Festival)
The White Meadows (again, seeing at SFF)
The Future (SFF)
Artificial Paradises
The Most Important Thing in life Is Not Being Dead
Black Field
Flying Fish
The Off Hours
Bellflower
Rene Goes to Hollywood
Clink of Ice
Kosmos
Silent Sonata
I perused a couple of those, Bellflower in particular - but timing wise, just not possible for me.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
You watch a lot of movies. People think I watch a lot of movies, but I've got nothing on you.

Not many people do. Maybe Roger Ebert.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo
Watched Seijun Suzuki's Zigeunerweisen yesterday. It was pretty fascinating, but I feel like there was a lot of stuff in it that I just didn't understand.

Seijun Suzuki makes two types of films -- experimental with a narrative grounding (Fighting Elegy/Branded to Kill/Story of a Prostitute) and just straight up experimental (Zigeunerweisen/Pistol Opera, etc.) The former I usually watch with rapt attention while the latter I watch mostly for the experience with little though about actually "getting it".

Fantastic filmmaker though, and all of his stuff is worth a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads