• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first bespoke suit journey - advice/feedback please

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Good lord smaller images please.

As I understand, Nani at Iris will by default do a slanted chest pocket and straight hip pockets if you don't ask otherwise. It looks fine but I prefer the conservatism of a straight chest pocket.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts...

Jeffrey/Nani tend to cut the shoulders of their coats quite close to your natural shoulder; if you have narrow shoulders, I would suggest having the shoulders slightly overextended to accentuate the "V" of your chest. If not, the skirt flair of the coat may emphasise your hips rather than your shoulder/chest and may look a bit unbalanced.

Also their default sleeves are cut more narrowly. If you want a bit more mobility in your arms, you may want to ask them for a fuller sleeve than normal. Gshen recently asked for this with some success, and I have a current commission with them where I have also asked for fuller sleeves.

Re: lapels. I tend to find notched lapels a bit more flexible, particularly if this going to be your only suit for a little while.

Re: hacking pockets and ticket pockets; I disagree with poorsod that these are "trendy". My SR tailor (Mahon) has often suggested both as default on my commissions, and I don't think that either ticket or hacking pockets are seen as particularly trendy by the English tailors I've spoken with...

yeeth

Reaction score
academe, i have indeed had the hip flare issue with mtm shirts (which are thankfully tucked in). In that case would u suggest more padding than usual since Nani does softer shoulders?
As for sleeves - how do tight sleeves hinder mobility? Never had that issue tbh...

Lightbringer

Reaction score
It's just less easy to gesticulate with tighter sleeves. She also does a somewhat tight back -- I'm going to have to get that loosened up a bit. But don't expect perfection with your first commission as always

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeeth
academe, i have indeed had the hip flare issue with mtm shirts (which are thankfully tucked in). In that case would u suggest more padding than usual since Nani does softer shoulders? As for sleeves - how do tight sleeves hinder mobility? Never had that issue tbh...
I don't think you need more padding so much as have her slightly extend the shoulder line beyond your natural shoulder (i.e. slight overextension of the shoulder). If you think the skirt flair is too great on the coat, you might suggest that they straighten the skirt slightly...Probably the best thing to do might be to let her know you want slightly overextended shoulders when you place the order, and then go for your first fitting. Take a look for yourself whether you're happy with the proportions, etc. and go from there. No point overthinking this at this point, since she does give you multiple fittings... Re: sleeve width & mobility. Probably best for someone like JefferyD or Despos to comment on this one, as I am not a tailor and can only go based on my experience. My Mahon drape coats are cut with fuller sleeves and I find that I have a wider range of movement than my first few commissions from Nani/Jeffrey that have much narrower sleeves. My experience is that the fuller sleeves allow your arms to move more freely, simply because there's a bit more room in the sleeve...It might also have something to do with how the sleeve is shaped, too, i.e. where the fullness in the sleeve occurs (e.g. upper arm, etc.), but again, I'm no expert, just going experientially...

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
It's just less easy to gesticulate with tighter sleeves. She also does a somewhat tight back -- I'm going to have to get that loosened up a bit. But don't expect perfection with your first commission as always

+1

Even from the best bespoke tailors, there are always minor "imperfections"; but that's part of the beauty of a hand-made garment...

yeeth

Reaction score
alright, i'll take note of the sleeve issue... although i did mention that i do intend to wear the suit with French cuffs, so she won't be able to make it too tight.

Originally Posted by academe
I don't think you need more padding so much as have her slightly extend the shoulder line beyond your natural shoulder (i.e. slight overextension of the shoulder).

i was actually concerned with the suit shoulders sagging if it is overextended, and whether that would require more padding than she usually provides to fix. Also, would a slight overextension cause problems when i lift my hand up? =\\

Lightbringer

Reaction score
You spiteful man, clogging up Iris' resources so I have to wait all the way till Wednesday for my fittings
laugh.gif

I think you should just be careful about getting the fit you want -- the major risk is that it might be too slim in some parts for comfortability. Go slow. There's sure to be some small details you miss, but that's alright -- it's your first commission and take things from there.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was actually concerned with the suit shoulders sagging if it is overextended, and whether that would require more padding than she usually provides to fix. Also, would a slight overextension cause problems when i lift my hand up? =\\
Check with Despos or JefferyD but I don't think this should be problem. Again, for point of comparison, my Mahon coats have very little padding, overextended shoulders and an even cleaner shoulder line than my Iris garments....I don't think if they're cut/constructed properly that they should droop. I know this is a slight tangent, but take a look at some of Vox's garments from Steed (or check the Steed blog for images of their work; http://steeds-view.blogspot.com/). If I remember correctly (and this includes my own experience with A&S expats), one of the hallmarks of A&S and A&S-expat garments is a soft, slightly overextended shoulder, and if you take a look at any of these garments there's no problem with shoulder "droop" or cleanness of the shoulder line. My main point is that there shouldn't be a problem here if cut/constructed properly! I think you're overthinking this and getting anxious... Just ask for what you'd like and go for the fittings. You can tweak the garment throughout the fitting process to your heart's desire!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe

Re: lapels. I tend to find notched lapels a bit more flexible, particularly if this going to be your only suit for a little while.

Re: hacking pockets and ticket pockets; I disagree with poorsod that these are "trendy". My SR tailor (Mahon) has often suggested both as default on my commissions, and I don't think that either ticket or hacking pockets are seen as particularly trendy by the English tailors I've spoken with...

If you were to insist on hacking pockets on a suit (rather than just an odd jacket) then I think it would be best to go the route of Huntsman/Richard Anderson. I don't like them on drape suits. To me hacking pockets seem more suited to its structured equestrian origin.

RA_greyblue_suit.jpg

Even this good looking RA suit seems a little trendy to my eye.

I'm just not sure just any tailor would do it justice. I suspect in the hands of many tailors, it could turn out trendy or simply not good looking, rather than classic.

yeeth

Reaction score
alright... just checking academe, how much do you mean by overextension? 0.25" per side?

yeah well like i mentioned it's my first bespoke, and probably my only one for at least a year so i'd like to make as few mistakes as possible. but you're right i'm probably overthinking it, will post pics once i have a fitting and we'll see how it goes!

koolhistorian

Reaction score
First rule of bespoke - do not micro manage your tailor (he/she knows better than you what can be done)!
Second rule of bespoke - for the first commission KISS (keep it simple)! Do not venture in styles that you had not worn yet. 2 or 3 B SB, simple pants, etc. (keep it classic) if you need a good suit.
For the shoulder construction you can go either unstructured (more or less neapolitan) or get them with a rollino, if you feel that your body structure needs it. Normally, a good tailor will suggest it, just to keep things in balance. He/she will know how to compensate a sloping shoulder, or things like that. When the jacket will flow correctly (back and front) it is on the spot. Then you can add things!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
If you were to insist on hacking pockets on a suit (rather than just an odd jacket) then I think it would be best to go the route of Huntsman/Richard Anderson. I don't like them on drape suits. To me hacking pockets seem more suited to its structured equestrian origin.
RA_greyblue_suit.jpg
Even this good looking RA suit seems a little trendy to my eye. I'm just not sure just any tailor would do it justice. I suspect in the hands of many tailors, it could turn out trendy or simply not good looking, rather than classic.

We will have to agree to disagree... All my Mahon commissions with flap pockets have hacking pockets and ticket pockets, as I believe are many of A Y's (if I remember correctly), and most of them fairly "conservatively" styled. To my subjective eye they look just as "classic" as a coat with straight pockets... Again, the RA coat doesn't look particularly "trendy" to me, hacking pockets or not. This is a subjective point... Really no point arguing it as neither of us are going to agree.
blush.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alright... just checking academe, how much do you mean by overextension? 0.25" per side?

yeah well like i mentioned it's my first bespoke, and probably my only one for at least a year so i'd like to make as few mistakes as possible. but you're right i'm probably overthinking it, will post pics once i have a fitting and we'll see how it goes!

I have no idea having never met you or seen what you look like. The degree of overextension will depend on so many different things, e.g. how wide your hips are in relation to your shoulders, how close they cut the coat to your body, etc. Figure this out at the fitting!!!
ffffuuuu.gif

facet

Reaction score
hmm how about a slanted chest pocket but straight lower pockets? something like SB here:

14.jpg

Wow, that's a pretty girl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads