• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Common Projects S/S '07

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Id rather buy common projects
250 isnt a bad deal for soemthing that will last you a lot longer then a pair of chucks and will look a lot better.
They are amazing quality and they look great. To me, theyre like basic essentials.
Chucks arent

Max

Reaction score
What the hell? These are certainly nice sneakers (the silver low tops are clearly a shoe after my own heart), but there's no such thing as $275 worth of nice sneaker.

A pair of $500 wingtips can be bought with the knowledge that they won't go out of fashion and can be re-soled indefinitely. Sneakers, on the other hand, are disposable items; you wear them out and throw them out when they've got holes in the soles. These might be exceptionally well made sneakers, but they've only got a limited amount of mileage in them.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They last longer then chucks for sure. I like em. I have a huge rotation of sneakers so theyll hopefully last me a long time.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't feel they're 8x better than Stan Smiths <shrug>

As far as high end shoes go, I can justify spending some more money for JL or EG at discount because they will certainly last longer than something like J&M or the like, and of course the styling issue (beveled waist, etc) but I don't feel that CP are styled significantly differently than other shoes out there. Maybe they are made better and will last longer, but eight times longer? Sneakers are disposable to me, I guess.

mongo615

Reaction score
Normally, I wouldn't spend $250+ on a pair of sneakers either ,but I've got plenty of pairs of the Big 3 (Nike/Converse, Adidas &amp; Puma) and I'd like to try something a little different. I have Gucci/Dior/Prada sneakers as well--I just try to buy sneakers(all shoes for that matter!) that are classically styled in order to get the maximum mileage out of them, so 9 times out of 10, I will end up wearing my All-Stars (Chuck Taylors) or Jack Purcells most of the time. I consider a purchase like this a treat, and I believe that I will be able to wear my Achilles Low for a long time.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why this is even an issue, coming from people that spend hundreds of dollars on jeans and upwards of a hundred on t-shirts (which are arguably much more &quot;disposable&quot; than sneakers). It's all subjective, but it does get kind of annoying that this comes up every time someone mentions these shoes...

Ahaz

Reaction score
I tried a pair of the Achilles low in white from ShopJake. They weren't all that sleek (not an issue unless you have clown feet like me), they weren't very comfortable and they were stained yellow. The Jake folks were super apologetic about it. I had ordered their last pair in my size, and they were the display model sitting in the store window. So the sun turned them yellow. I know nothing about leather, and have no idea if this would happen to any shoe or not.

Overall it was a disappointing experience with such an expensive shoe. I think they look great in pictures, but (discounting the yellow-ness) was not enamoured with them in person.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The barcode on the outside of the shoes makes me go flaccid.
frown.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I just don't feel they're 8x better than Stan Smiths <shrug>

5x and yes they are, stans are garbage.

As far as high end shoes go, I can justify spending some more money for JL or EG at discount because they will certainly last longer than something like J&M or the like
We sincerely hope you continue to buy those and not these.

Originally Posted by jonglover
I don't know why this is even an issue, coming from people that spend hundreds of dollars on jeans and upwards of a hundred on t-shirts (which are arguably much more "disposable" than sneakers). It's all subjective, but it does get kind of annoying that this comes up every time someone mentions these shoes...

EX-*******-ACTLY

Originally Posted by Ahaz
I tried a pair of the Achilles low in white from ShopJake. They weren't all that sleek (not an issue unless you have clown feet like me), they weren't very comfortable and they were stained yellow. The Jake folks were super apologetic about it. I had ordered their last pair in my size, and they were the display model sitting in the store window. So the sun turned them yellow. I know nothing about leather, and have no idea if this would happen to any shoe or not.

Overall it was a disappointing experience with such an expensive shoe. I think they look great in pictures, but (discounting the yellow-ness) was not enamoured with them in person.

No problems here.

Originally Posted by macuser3of5
The barcode on the outside of the shoes makes me go flaccid.
frown.gif

If shoes give you an erection I think you have other more important things to worry about. PS. Everyone else including myself thinks the stamp is genius.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
If shoes give you an erection I think you have other more important things to worry about. PS. Everyone else including myself thinks the stamp is genius.
Meh, the stamps put them into G-Star faux mil territory. Not a fan at all, especially for $200+ shoes

ps. If you think stamps on the sides of shoes are genius you have more important things to worry about.
teacha.gif
<3

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go ahead and keep buying your "artisan" made sneakers then. Don't let me stop you.

I don't disagree with the T-shirts being overpriced sentiment either. $100 for a graphic T is ridiculous when shops like BBS are selling "designer" made Graphic Ts for $10 by the same designers selling them for $100.

As far as jeans go, certainly there are differences in longevity and build quality that are orders of magintude different than sneakers. I don't see anyone complaining that their Stan Smiths ripped open the second time they wore them, while I bought a pair of $20 Club Monaco jeans a few months ago because they were nearly exactly what I wanted in looks. Very dark, smooth denim, slim fit straight leg, and one-wash so they'd stay dark for a long time. The second time I wore them the crotch button popped out and some of the fly buttons were coming out. Obviously this was defective but it's a clear indication of poor build quality. If someone made a jean that was the cut and fabric I wanted for $20 i'd be all over it. I could give a **** if it was by Levis or R by 45 RPM.

For people who are supposedly anti-brand there's a shitload of brandwhoring here and this lemming like behavior and IMO that gets a lot more annoying than people giving others a reality check about pricing on products.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Meh, the stamps put them into G-Star faux mil territory. Not a fan at all, especially for $200+ shoes

ps. If you think stamps on the sides of shoes are genius you have more important things to worry about.
teacha.gif
<3

If they were cloak you'd be all over them
crackup[1].gif

Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Go ahead and keep buying your "artisan" made sneakers then. Don't let me stop you.

I don't disagree with the T-shirts being overpriced sentiment either. $100 for a graphic T is ridiculous when shops like BBS are selling "designer" made Graphic Ts for $10 by the same designers selling them for $100.

As far as jeans go, certainly there are differences in longevity and build quality that are orders of magintude different than sneakers. I don't see anyone complaining that their Stan Smiths ripped open the second time they wore them, while I bought a pair of $20 Club Monaco jeans a few months ago because they were nearly exactly what I wanted in looks. Very dark, smooth denim, slim fit straight leg, and one-wash so they'd stay dark for a long time. The second time I wore them the crotch button popped out and some of the fly buttons were coming out. Obviously this was defective but it's a clear indication of poor build quality. If someone made a jean that was the cut and fabric I wanted for $20 i'd be all over it. I could give a **** if it was by Levis or R by 45 RPM.

For people who are supposedly anti-brand there's a shitload of brandwhoring here and this lemming like behavior and IMO that gets a lot more annoying than people giving others a reality check about pricing on products.

I'm a lemming by liking something few others like. Nah, people trippin on how others spend their money and getting defensive is definitely more annoying g.

You can have your 5 stans, I'd rather have one cp.

Brian SD

Reaction score
They're expensive, yea. But this forum is practically founded upon the act of paying out the ass for extra details that aren't apparent to the average onlooker. So please, stop terrorizing the cp threads. This is like the 3rd or 4th time this has happened.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Big fuckin word.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads