• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
Fritzl - here they are. The other representatives of the Hungarian shoemaking craft.
m1040006.jpg
m1040012.jpg
m1040004.jpg
m1040009.jpg

Please put these in the Spectator Appreciation thread Marcel...beautiful spectator budapesters....something different.
inlove.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
checking in to the vienna thread, i found these beauties.

thanks to cn for his wonderful contribution...

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Materna and Petkov who have their stores next to each other

1621qbo.jpg

acxwkx.jpg

nn8w1z.jpg

w9bt36.jpg

10pvau1.jpg

bijde9.jpg

now, we just need an icebreaker to take the plunge...
cheers.gif

C&A

Reaction score
No shoes yet. But after speaking with Fritzl, Banis, Cravatte and some others I decided to take the plunge and meet with Lucian Maftei when he was in Hamburg last month.

First shoe will be black a cap toe oxford with a a little bit of punching along the edge of the toe cap. Similar to this shoe:

photo021.jpg

I went with an almond toe, quite similar to the Lobb Paris 7000 last. I received this picture earlier today:

Mafteilast.jpg

Waiting to get some more pictures of the last and maybe of the prova shoe. Will certainly keep this thread updated once I've tried on the prova shoes and will in due course post the end product.

Must say that Lucian Maftei is a really nice gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. Oh yeah, and ofcourse thanks to Fritlz, Banis and Cravatte.

banis

Reaction score
Glad that you are having a good experience with Maftei. I hope you enjoy your shoes once they are ready. Keep posted on the process of following fittings.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by C&A
Must say that Lucian Maftei is a really nice gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. Oh yeah, and ofcourse thanks to Fritlz, Banis and Cravatte.

Yes. He is a nice guy with good spoken English and excellent customer service.
Maftei also have very nice prices for their shoes, forgot about bespoke.
I think among the best in Austria although Fritzl will probably be quick to correct me!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
I think among the best in Austria although Fritzl will probably be quick to correct me!

why?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by C&A

you're welcome.

imo, the almond shape is the best this kind of style dishes out.

thanks for keeping this thread alive and looking forward to your updates. cheers

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
why?

Because you are going to say another one of your obscure Austrian shoemaker, no one heard of, Mr A Doll Hister sells RTW handmade shoes cheaper than Maftei.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because you are going to say another one of your obscure Austrian shoemaker, no one heard of, Mr A Doll Hister sells RTW handmade shoes cheaper than Maftei.

sorry, i dunno, what you're talking about.

btw, i really love my two pairs of maftei's.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
sorry, i dunno, what you're talking about.

btw, i really love my two pairs of maftei's.

Pictures please. Did the dad or son made them for you?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pictures please. Did the dad or son made them for you?

look'em up on the first pages here.

one by the son, one by the dad. dad messed up the order, though. forgotten and forgiven.

C&A

Reaction score
Originally Posted by C&A
Waiting to get some more pictures of the last and maybe of the prova shoe. Will certainly keep this thread updated once I've tried on the prova shoes and will in due course post the end product.

A few more pictures of the last

WP_000074.jpg

WP_000073.jpg

WP_000071.jpg

WP_000075.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
another great example of craftmanship combined with the heritage of the old world:

Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Demeter & Halmos: Alt Wien (semi-brogue apron) monk, Budapester style raised toe box last, dead stock Freudenberg burgundy box calf leather.

DHAltweinmonk1.jpg

DHAltweinmonk.jpg

ajv

Reaction score
Looks like sting-ray to me.

Adrian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads