• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches for a Rookie

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the SF scale its as if entry level starts at $500 for just about everything.
laugh.gif

And I thought entry level start with $100 Seiko 5s...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
On the SF scale its as if entry level starts at $500 for just about everything.
laugh.gif
And I thought entry level start with $100 Seiko 5s...

Seiko 5s are great inexpensive watches.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
Check out the Seiko divers on ebay. Some of the Japan-only Seikos are very nice and affordable. There are other sites to get them, but I've found ebay to be the cheapest.

I did and I bought a Seiko Diver's Automatic for $160. I have to say I'm very pleased with the purchase and wear it about 90% of the time so thanks btinl!

Buying online was great but what about buying at a pawn shop? I found a swiss made gold gucci watch a few weeks ago and put it on hold (this meant putting down $35 that I could easily get back) just in case it could be something worth getting.
The watch has a white dial, no numerals on the face but does have roman numerals on the bezel, and an hour and minute hand only. It's a little scratched up but I think a jeweler can do something about that.

Orgininally the pawn was selling the watch for $460 but after a generous discount the watch came out to $180. Should I pull the trigger? WWYOUD and why?

V

Lord Byron

Reaction score
You might consider looking at a vintage Cartier tank watch. The simplicity of the white face, black Roman numerals, and black leather or lizard band speaks volumes. I've seen many models online in the $300 range. Have a reputable jeweller confirm the authenticity of the watch prior to purchase. And do not assume that anything is out of the realm of possibility simply because you are on a budget. Put the word out to your friends as to what you're interested in. Someone always knows someone. In these economic times, almost anything is possibly for sale at almost any price, given the right situation. Finally, be patient. Good luck.

http://lordbyronsrevenge.blogspot.com/

claerion

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a parnis power reserve automatic. I have seen some really good reviews of it and love the look of it and it is cheap!

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Parnis before but that's a great looking watch for under $100. No mention of waterproofing so I assume it's not though. Any idea how they hold up?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please check out the watchyouseek forum for more information.

santino

Reaction score
depends on what kind of dress you wear. I have a few good looking Seikos to co-ordinate with different shoes. I just bought Omega seamaster from ebay for 400 bucks. Checked with jeweler- it is authentic. You can try ebay too if you can jugde between right and wrong.
Good luck,
Sonny.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for tip LB, I've been dying for leather banded watch and this sounds like a good place to start the hunt
smile.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Seiko and Victorinox. Hamilton can be reasonably priced, as can Tissot. If you want to go real cheap, Timex can make some beaters that look reasonable.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by claerion
I am thinking of getting a parnis power reserve automatic. I have seen some really good reviews of it and love the look of it and it is cheap!

Parnis is a made up chinese brand and the power reserve is a knock off of the IWC Portugese.

Quality Control is non-existant so you may get an ok one, and you may get one that doesn't work or has other serious defects. I would tread carefully here.

If you ask me, save your money for a while, and buy a pre-owned Stainless steel/black Rolex Submariner.

Its a watch you will have for the rest of your life and it will look as good then as it did in 1960

Arsenal

Reaction score
I can chime in on the Parnis Power Reserve for those interested.

I purchased one about several months back and it looked to be quite nice for what I paid. Cosmetically, it was close to flawless, but there was a small nick out of the '7' - not enough to seriously bother me, but I'm a bit OCD and perfectionist. After about two weeks, the watch stopped working completely. The power reserve was pegged at 40, and despite all of my efforts, I couldn't get it to tick again.

So I sent it back to China, and got a free replacement, with no hassles. My replacement is flawless cosmetically, though I am not terribly confident of how long the movement will last given my last experience.

I really like the look of the watch, and I haven't been able to find anything close to this style for the price, or else I probably would have bought something else instead. I certainly can't afford the IWC Portuguese.

TL;DR - Nice looking watch. Quality control is sketchy. YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads