• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hunger Games

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First look at Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in 'The Hunger Games' -- EXCLUSIVE

vk8EQ.jpg

Fans of The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins' terrifically urgent dystopian trilogy about children forced to fight to the death "” have always been protective of 16-year-old heroine Katniss Everdeen. So when Lionsgate and director Gary Ross announced that they had cast 20-year-old Oscar nominee Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone) in the lead role, the community was thrown into an inevitable tailspin. Was she too old, too blonde, too pale, too pretty to do the gritty warrior girl justice? In this week's cover story, EW was granted an exclusive interview with a newly brunette Lawrence, and spent hours watching her train on a Los Angeles archery range and track, just days before she was due on the North Carolina set.

In a free-wheeling interview, Lawrence describes her first encounter with Ross last winter, during the height of Oscar season. "He was asking me what the experience was like," she recalls, "and I just kind of opened up and said, "˜I feel like a rag doll. I have hair and makeup people coming to my house every day and putting me in new, uncomfortable, weird dresses and expensive shoes, and I just shut down and raise my arms up for them to get the dress on, and pout my lips when they need to put the lipstick on.' And we both started laughing because that's exactly what it's like for Katniss in the Capitol. She was a girl who's all of a sudden being introduced to fame. I know what that feels like to have all this flurry around you and feel like, "˜Oh, no, I don't belong here.'"

When Lawrence was offered the role, she describes her response as a mixture of elation "” and desperate anxiety. "I knew that as soon as I said yes, my life would change," she says. "And I walked around an entire day thinking "˜It's not too late, I could still go back and do indies, I haven't said yes yet, it's not too late.'"

And yet, who can turn their back on Katniss? "I love this story," she says, "and if I had said no, I would regret it every day." After officially signing on, Suzanne Collins herself called to offer a starstruck Lawrence her most hearty congratulations. "I feel like when you said yes," the author told her, "the world got lifted off my shoulders."

For more on The Hunger Games, including photos of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss and a guide to the film's other characters, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, on stands May 20.
via EW

I'll admit, I had my reservations when she was first cast but she looks amazing as Katniss. I cannot wait for this ******* movie.

darnelled

Reaction score
I've read them all and think it will be an interesting movie. Is this just from the first book or are they combining them?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnelled
I've read them all and think it will be an interesting movie. Is this just from the first book or are they combining them?

This is just the first book. I couldn't imagine combining both Hunger Games and the rebellion into one movie!
tongue.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lionsgate may make four movies out of 'The Hunger Games' trilogy

hunger-games_510.jpg

A Deadline report today offhandedly broke big news that Lionsgate hoped to deliver four movies out of Suzanne Collins' ridiculously popular dystopian trilogy The Hunger Games. The move, as revealed by some Lionsgate execs in a conference call with Wall Street analysts, would follow the recent trend of splitting the final book in series like Harry Potter and Twilight into two films. But not so fast, number crunchers. Turns out that the plan is not solid yet, as the focus remains on the first film and how it performs next March. (Lionsgate has no comment.)

But even the prospect of four films has the potential to send hardcore fans into an emotional tailspin. On the one hand, this means more of Katniss Everdeen and the rest of her friends and foes on the big screen. (More Jennifer Lawrence, Stanley Tucci, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland... seriously, this cast!) But the move would also run the risk of offending purists who could bristle at what might be interpreted as the studio making an easy cash grab. Surely they'll take some heart that writer Suzanne Collins continues to assume such an active role in the screenwriting process. The original architect of this whole universe would ostensibly remain at the center of creative decisions, which means the best interests of Katniss' story should remain in good hands.

In the meantime the studio is staying mum on their four films fantasy, let alone where it might split up the action. So fans will have to debate in a vacuum about which book might be lopped in two. With the requisite SPOILER ALERT! flashing red and making siren noises in everyone's mind, allow me to make my own humble suggestion: Leave the relatively slimmer third book, Mockingjay, alone. Instead dig deep into meaty Book 2, Catching Fire. I always thought Collins cut the scene in the hunting cabin with Bonnie and Twill, the runaways from District 8 who spoke of revolution, a little short. There's more tense fun to be had with them and their revelations. Perhaps a natural gut punch of an end to a second movie could follow Snow soonafter dropping his bomb on Katniss that he's tossing her back in the arena. Boom! Jennifer Lawrence herself said this was her favorite scene of the entire trilogy, and the one she could not wait to bring to life.
via EW

Um..yes, please.

comicto

Reaction score
Great books! Finished reading all 3 a couple weeks ago. I'm excited for the movies, hope they do it justice.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Still have the book unopened, going to start reading them next week while wasting time at work.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On a scale of 1 to Twilight, how **** are the books? Would consider reading, but am scared this is tween-girl lit. The name "Katniss" is **** as all hell, so that's not a good omen.

Thoughts?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
irdk.

It's not really an old people book. You probably wouldn't like it. You should stick with Ulysses or Blood Meridian or something like that.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
irdk.

It's not really an old people book. You probably wouldn't like it. You should stick with Ulysses or Blood Meridian or something like that.

Probably true.
frown.gif

But the movies star my girlfriend Jennifer Lawrence, so no doubt she'll drag me to see 'em.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just read the first book. It's not bad. It's not groundbreaking YA literature or anything, but it's better than most of what's out there.

At any rate, is this movie going to show the scene where Katniss strips naked and has her legs and ***** meticulously waxed clean? If not, the movie is not true to the book, and I refuse to watch it.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
About 1/4 of the way through the second book. It is sucking fat cock so far. The writing style is clumsy and needlessly expository. It's as if a new writer has taken over on this one. I don't get it. And why is Suzanne rehashing everything that took place in book 1, as if the reader of book 2 has never read the first installment? This is garbage. I am disappoint.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the first two, then just got too bored to continue. The story was somewhat interesting, but the writing dreadful. Worse, it was so simplistic and plot development.

That all said, Katniss seems to be cast well.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Read the first two, then just got too bored to continue. The story was somewhat interesting, but the writing dreadful. Worse, it was so simplistic and plot development. That all said, Katniss seems to be cast well.
Yeah, that's been my experience so far. The writing is atrocious. It's not a huge step up from fan fiction, really. But the premise is interesting. The plot of the first book, and the novelty of the setting, were enough to keep me turning pages. But the construct is wearing thin in book two and, with the visceral thrill of the Games over, the plot seems forced to nonexistent. The first book is a breeze to read; the second one feels like a chore. At this point I am reading mostly out of a sense of obligation to finish what I have started.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
That all said, Katniss seems to be cast well.

I keep going back and forth. When I first heard Jennifer Lawrence got the part, I was disappointed as I really wanted someone younger and thinner (Hailee Steinfeld is my ideal Katniss). After the EW cover, I adored her. However, recent pictures of Lawrence show she's as heavy as ever so I'm back to wishing Hailee got the part.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
T At this point I am reading mostly out of a sense of obligation to finish what I have started.

That's the only thing tempting me to pick up the third. I like to know how things end, or rather, I need to know. But the plot has middle school logic it seems. Though it is book aimed at youth, so I guess it can't be truly faulted.

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I keep going back and forth. When I first heard Jennifer Lawrence got the part, I was disappointed as I really wanted someone younger and thinner (Hailee Steinfeld is my ideal Katniss). After the EW cover, I adored her. However, recent pictures of Lawrence show she's as heavy as ever so I'm back to wishing Hailee got the part.

Hailee would be a solid choice, but if Lawrence sheds some baby fat from her face, she'll be fine. Besides, she has to get thinner as the filming progresses, so she might as well start out a bit thicker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads