• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tucking in short-sleeve woven shirts - ok?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never knew it was not ok. I more often than not tuck them in.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, I can't stand short sleeve shirts. Just roll up your sleeves!

TRA8324

Reaction score
Nice article. I agree with everything stated in there. I prefer my short sleeved button ups to be slim and loud. Nothing worse than a plain solid colored short sleeve shirt that's 2 size too big and has sleeve going down to the elbow.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Meh, I can't stand short sleeve shirts. Just roll up your sleeves!

Try living someplace where hot doesn't mean 80 degrees.

Short sleeves make a big difference in airflow inside the shirt, which is important in hot weather. Just don't wear any short sleeve shirt with a tie. Ever. Despite the, "well, perhaps you could try it" line from the WSJ, don't. You will look like a fashion victim. Same with the blazer and shorts. Just don't.

And yes, tucking in is fine. You should be tucking everything in more often than not. Untucked shirts, unless they fit very well and have an appropriate hem, just come out looking sloppy. Knits like polos or tee shirts you can get away with as a bumming around look, but even with those, tucking 'em in sharpens up your look. Especally if you have a waist that you can accentuate, which makes you look nice and fit even if you have an average build.

The michael kors photo shown is how I've been wearing 'em for years, minus the contrived over-long belt. Patterns or texture, matched with appropriate jeans or shorts and tucked in. Casual enough to wear a ballcap with, polished enough to outclass just about everybody else's casual dress during the summer.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand short sleeve dress shirts. It just seems to make the shirt that much less versatile. for the normal temp months. Rolling up does the job and it looks better in my opinion. As a person who is always a little too warm, I think the whole "air-flow" thing takes it too far. There is a lot of insouciane to the rolled up sleeve.

elgreco

Reaction score
Haha, I'm actually rocking this look today. Specifically, I'm wearing htis Black Fleece shirt, but the top two buttons are undone and I've cuffed the sleeves to hit mid-bicep:
med.jpg
The fact of the matter is that in the summer months in DC, when it gets absurdly hot and humid, this look is my go to. I much prefer these shirts to polos because they look a bit better in the office (I would argue). But adjusting the sleeve length makes all the difference (going all the way to the elbow looks a bit silly, when you could wear a regular shirt and roll up the sleeves).

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't understand short sleeve dress shirts. It just seems to make the shirt that much less versatile. for the normal temp months. Rolling up does the job and it looks better in my opinion. As a person who is always a little too warm, I think the whole "air-flow" thing takes it too far. There is a lot of insouciane to the rolled up sleeve.

Try coming south of the mason dixon line once in a while. When it's hot and humid, a rolled up sleeve does not do anywhere near the same job.

JeremyIFisher

Reaction score
Short sleeve shirts were associated with the working class back in the day. So snobbery/tradition dictates that its wrong to wear them like "normal" *****. Most decent quality short sleeved shirts aren't made to be tucked in but as alternatives to t-shirts. But I suppose the recent geek trend is making them popular.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Try living someplace where hot doesn't mean 80 degrees.

Short sleeves make a big difference in airflow inside the shirt, which is important in hot weather. Just don't wear any short sleeve shirt with a tie. Ever. Despite the, "well, perhaps you could try it" line from the WSJ, don't. You will look like a fashion victim. Same with the blazer and shorts. Just don't.

And yes, tucking in is fine. You should be tucking everything in more often than not. Untucked shirts, unless they fit very well and have an appropriate hem, just come out looking sloppy. Knits like polos or tee shirts you can get away with as a bumming around look, but even with those, tucking 'em in sharpens up your look. Especally if you have a waist that you can accentuate, which makes you look nice and fit even if you have an average build.

The michael kors photo shown is how I've been wearing 'em for years, minus the contrived over-long belt. Patterns or texture, matched with appropriate jeans or shorts and tucked in. Casual enough to wear a ballcap with, polished enough to outclass just about everybody else's casual dress during the summer.

Just my .02. I'm in the midwest where it was already 90-05 for 3 days straight. I had my sleeves rolled up on my thin cotton shirts and it seemed to be fine. Then again it's not as humid here so who knows how I would dress in your situation.
thumbs-up.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Try coming south of the mason dixon line once in a while. When it's hot and humid, a rolled up sleeve does not do anywhere near the same job.

I don't know. I stand in the New York City subway tunnels wearing a full suit and want to die. I just suffer for style.
smile.gif

elgreco

Reaction score
Nick Wooster making a strong case for the short sleeve woven shirt, stupid Thom Browne pants notwithstanding (in fact, I think Wooster's looks would generally be elevated to another plane if he quit relying on Thom Browne clothes so heavily).
144903_565.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads