• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan to Como Transport.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I need to get to Lake Como from Milan centrale station and I need to know my options, I've ruled out the train because of the awkward times of departure. Any other suggestions? The hotel I'm staying at is quoting me 240EUR for a private car pickup.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either car (you can rent one in Centrale with satellite navigator) or train.
Don't get the "awkward times of departure" line, you have trains more or less each hour from Milano Centrale or Milano Porta Garibaldi (second stop of the green line from Centrale), maybe you can tell us your time of arrival in Milano Centrale.

Also, if flying to Malpensa you might want to look for a bus/taxi/car from there, should be shorter than from Centrale).

mauser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
So I need to get to Lake Como from Milan centrale station and I need to know my options, I've ruled out the train because of the awkward times of departure. Any other suggestions? The hotel I'm staying at is quoting me 240EUR for a private car pickup.

I don't quite understand your stance regarding the train. There are hourly trains from Milan Centrale to Como and it takes about 35 minutes, should be less than driving from center to center. Cars can be rented in Como if you need one, but public transport exists amply in the area with buses and boats. A car can be useful if you need to get to roads less traveled.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are offering for 126 e in Merc E class. You should be able to find a lot of these type of private tour operators. Whenever I travel with family and have to travel between cities in Europe, I try to get a van or something rather than train. Saves the hassle of loading the luggage into the taxi, then train, then taxi at other end. http://www.milanobycar.com/booking/rates.htm

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong train tables. I get into centrale from Venice at 11:30 am.

aj thanks for the find.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We took a car arranged by our hotel in Bellagio. Didn't cost anywhere near 240 euros.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong train tables. I get into centrale from Venice at 11:30 am. aj thanks for the find.
Try bahn.de for timetables Edit, checked, trains every half hour

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong train tables. I get into centrale from Venice at 11:30 am.

aj thanks for the find.

www.trenitalia.it for timetables

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
www.trenitalia.it for timetables

Exactly.

Direct trains from Milano Centrale to Como San Giovanni take around 35 minutes.
The direct trains do NOT depart every 1/2 hour.
Only Como S. G. is served directly by Ferrovie dello Stato (Trenitalia).

There are also 2 other stations in Como, Como Nord Borghi and Como Nord Lago, but they are served by a different line, TreNord, and those trains depart from Milano Nord Cadorna, not Milano Centrale.

After 11:30:
Depart MI. C.LE: 13:10
Arrive COMO SG: 13:43

Also departing at 15:10 (no 12:10 or 14:10); 16:10; 17:10; 18:10; 19:10; 20:10....

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's why I want to take a car - I don't want to wait around the station for two hours wasting valuable time at the resort!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. That will take some time too, though, to rent, get out of town, etc.

The other option is to take a quick taxi from Centrale to Milano Cadorna. and take the TreNord train from Cadorna to Como Lago (right on the lake, in the center of town, beautiful) or Como Borghi (the prior stop) depending on where you are staying.

The TreNord trains from Milano Cadorna to Como Lago depart at 12:10; 12:40; 13:10; 13:40, etc. and take 1 hour.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
The other option is to take a quick taxi from Centrale to Milano Cadorna. and take the TreNord train from Cadorna to Como Lago (right on the lake, in the center of town, beautiful)
I did this last time I went to Milan and was very happy with the result.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The train service seemed okay to me the last time I did Milan to Bellagio.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I want to take a car ...
Show us you're a real big timer, get on your own private train

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Show us you're a real big timer, get on your own private train

call george

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads