• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is RLBL going downhill?

tmcevoy213

Reaction score
Are the comments about value at the price point referring to retail price or what a RLBL suit goes for on B/S? What would be a better way to spend the ~$650 for a used suit (assuming the same general slim aesthetic)?

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't fit me well but RLBL represents an excellent value for the money with classy fabrics and a nice cut. I am impressed that they never went for the super short jacket with narrow lapels aesthetic.

Also, I can see no difference in quality between the current and past seasons.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
I wore for the first time yesterday, a Beige Silk RLPL (Caruso) Suit purchased last year and i hate it. This no reflection on Caruso, but rather a ****** decision on my part, to buy a Silk Suit. It is going to stain like a Mother (oils from hands etc) and wrinkles something shocking...

Do you mean a silk blend? (If so, wool and/or cotton?) Surely it's not a pure silk suit ... ? (Though I imagine they exist, come to think of it.)

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tmcevoy213
Are the comments about value at the price point referring to retail price or what a RLBL suit goes for on B/S? What would be a better way to spend the ~$650 for a used suit (assuming the same general slim aesthetic)?

Although they are only half-canvassed, I've bought a few Polo suits for under $400 that are VERY slim with high armholes... they were all brand new with tags and one was a three piece suit.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
What would be a better way to spend the ~$650 for a used suit (assuming the same general slim aesthetic)?

Quoting to emphasize the question.

I have a large drop (39 or a small 40 down to a 31 waist) and I both don't want to buy a Theory/J Crew/other tiny lapel suit [nevermind the quality problem, the tiny lapels are a huge no-no for me]...I'll spend $500-600 or so each on two suits but am having trouble narrowing my field.

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ive never been impressed with RLBL, TBH.
You have to try on more of them.
laugh.gif
wink.gif
But fun aside, I understand that you have better options available.

Originally Posted by Klobber
Part of the reasoning behind the love here for RLBL revolves around the price, fit, and reasonable quality. The quality is decent enough to meet SF approval (mostly fully canvassed), and the price make it worthwhile. Compare RLBL with other suits at the same price point, RLBL blows most the competition apart. Sure if you are willing to spend $3K plus, you will find better quality suits than RLBL - but reality is RLBL = mid range suit masquerading as an upper range OTR suit. Bottom of the top is better than top of the bottom if that makes sense
eh.gif

I think that's it. When you're used to high end suits, you will not get the hype. RLBL is a fine mid-range suit with an aggressively fashionable cut for the poor chaps who get along reasonably well with OTR while not able to spend the money for a decent Kiton/Attolini/... suit. Like me.
wink.gif

rsuhandy

Reaction score

Speaking from personal experience Isaia.
I got all of my Isaia suits for under $750, the pre-owned ones
that I've acquired I got for around $500....

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was at the new NYC RL store in Soho recently and one of the SA's said that RLPL isn't doing well at all. I wonder if this is the reason for the switch to Caruso, maybe a price thing, or they feel the quality wasn't there. I dont know?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I was at the new NYC RL store in Soho recently and one of the SA's said that RLPL isn't doing well at all. I wonder if this is the reason for the switch to Caruso, maybe a price thing, or they feel the quality wasn't there. I dont know?

The people who can afford RLPL at retail do not know the difference in quality between RLBL, Polo, or RLPL... my dad doesn't even know the difference between Lauren Ralph Lauren and Purple Label
laugh.gif

tmcevoy213

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsuhandy
Speaking from personal experience Isaia.
I got all of my Isaia suits for under $750, the pre-owned ones
that I've acquired I got for around $500....

Wow you got an awesome deal! May I ask how/where? Is it just lots of patience with B/S?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow you got an awesome deal! May I ask how/where? Is it just lots of patience with B/S?

There's plenty on eBay for that price. (or at least used to be)

CrimsonSox

Reaction score

I stopped by the RL store in Boston last week, and found out that it will no longer be stocking Purple Label suits. What's going on with RLPL?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I stopped by the RL store in Boston last week, and found out that it will no longer be stocking Purple Label suits. What's going on with RLPL?
I believe they are moving/have moved to MTM only.

Last edited:

vida

Reaction score
I have several Black Label suits that I have purchased over the past 5 years and I would say that the quality is as solid as ever. It has improved if anything. Fabrics are better and there seems to be a move towards slightly different styling options (3 piece, ticket pockets, etc...) The FIT/CUT is what really sets BL apart from other good quality makes.
BTW, the Atlana RL has also moved drastically away from Purple Label. I can't figure this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads