• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
This is a bit old ....but....

I do on a DB coat. I see nothing wrong with doing the bottom button up on an SB lounge coat either. You should just do what looks good.

This is what Berhard Roetzel had to say recently:

http://mannerofman.blogspot.com/2010...d-roetzel.html

I agree - it's not a hard and fast rule. I will often button the second button on a suit/SC if it's a windy day - it's certainly a better look than having your jacket blow up like a skirt to reveal your shirt in such circumstances.

Generally though, I feel buttoning the 2nd button on a SB coat can make the wearer look a bit "stuffy", especially if one has a pocket square etc. as the added elements in the outfit already mean one runs the risk of looking fussy.

I agree though on a DB coat leaving a button undone often looks sloppy.

Tano

Reaction score
HB perth city sale; all chinos $229 and sweaters are $399. Is there another herringbone in Perth?

Tano

Reaction score
Didnt know there was a HB in 914 Hay St perth. HB London Crt is still full priced

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the guys at Travelers Apparel still giving good deals on suits? Looking to buy about 5 (only one of them is going to be mine) and hopefully I can get an overcoat and sports coat.

Oh and what's with Lygon Street eateries. Are they seriously desperate lately or something? Was down there last week for dinner and while I didn't mind wait staff trying to call us into their restaurant, some of them were down right rude and pushy. No less than 4 occasions literally had waitstaff block us off to try get us into their place.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lygon Street is a shitehole (shite places with shite wait staff) ... two nice places and they are trotters and ti amo across the road.

Oh and Carlton Espresso is a good coffee place.

But that's it.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Are the guys at Travelers Apparel still giving good deals on suits? Looking to buy about 5 (only one of them is going to be mine) and hopefully I can get an overcoat and sports coat.

Oh and what's with Lygon Street eateries. Are they seriously desperate lately or something? Was down there last week for dinner and while I didn't mind wait staff trying to call us into their restaurant, some of them were down right rude and pushy. No less than 4 occasions literally had waitstaff block us off to try get us into their place.

Lygon Street has unfortunately been terrible that way for some time. I refuse to go anywhere near it any more. I'm certain that they don't realise that for every 'extra' customer they think they get with those tactics they are not realising the 10+ that they are putting off.

__PG__

Reaction score
Re : Lygon St. I never eat south of Grattan St. That way you avoid all the spruikers. My favourite 'cheap eat' is Papa Ginos.

EDIT : The exception is the Gelati store near the park.

RE : Travelers. I'm sure that in today's retail environment anyone would give you a great deal on 5 suits.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Re : Lygon St. I never eat south of Grattan St. That way you avoid all the spruikers. My favourite 'cheap eat' is Papa Ginos.

RE : Travelers. I'm sure that in today's retail environment anyone would give you a great deal on 5 suits.

By how much is reasonable though?

50% off the marked price + free alterations?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman

Originally Posted by lennier
Lygon Street has unfortunately been terrible that way for some time. I refuse to go anywhere near it any more. I'm certain that they don't realise that for every 'extra' customer they think they get with those tactics they are not realising the 10+ that they are putting off.

This actually sounds very authentic Italian...all the bad restaurants in Rome have spruikers; it usually works on Americans.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
One napkin for the collar, one for the lap.

591148.jpg

I use the knapkin Italian style precisely because I am sick of the dry cleaning bills. The wife has her own version of events...
lol8[1].gif

Any views whether this is gauche de max or simply being realistic like our Mediterranean friends....?
eh.gif

Does the restaurant Vesperi Siciliani still exist in Melbourne?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
EDIT : The exception is the Gelati store near the park.

Is that the one with all the unique flavours including some very Asian?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
I use the knapkin Italian style precisely because I am sick of the dry cleaning bills. The wife has her own version of events...
lol8[1].gif

Any views whether this is gauche de max or simply being realistic like our Mediterranean friends....?
eh.gif

Does the restaurant Vesperi Siciliani still exist in Melbourne?

If I go straight from work for a laksa, at one particular Canberra establishment, then yes, never had problems with Italian and as for gauche have seen many a man do it, if its any consolation.

Also this was posted on the Guardian web site today only a short blurb but the photos are great, well if you like that 1970's tastelessness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...on-in-pictures

ned kelly

Reaction score
Sicilian Vespers closed down some years ago. Shannon Bennett opened Vue De Monde in the same building and was a great success.After some years he moved to the CDB. A top pizza place called DOC opened and they are still doing a roaring trade.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
If I go straight from work for a laksa, at one particular Canberra establishment, then yes, never had problems with Italian and as for gauche have seen many a man do it, if its any consolation.

Certain foods just don't take to being eaten with knife and fork. When we used to eat hot pot in Sydney with colleagues we used to take our own bibs! Not a good look appearing with soup stains in front of the punters. Then AUD6 to clean the tie.

That Tommy Nutter won't be replicated on the Row for a few years. You have imposters like Boateng but none with his cache et panache...you know wha' I mean sorta fing?

Originally Posted by ned kelly
Sicilian Vespers closed down some years ago. Shannon Bennett opened Vue De Monde in the same building and was a great success.After some years he moved to the CDB. A top pizza place called DOC opened and they are still doing a roaring trade.

Thanks I went there years ago with a few friends and had a wonderful night with excellent food and the high point...served by a woman that could only have been Sicilian in the fullest sense...think poor man's Monica Belucci/Claudia Cardinale....bellissima!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
Oh wow, I didn't quite realise how cheap the Herringbone warehouse sales were. Are the suits of the same quality that they sell in stores, just previous season stuff? If you can really get them for $599 then that just about answers my question about more affordable suit options.

Yes, exactly the same suits, usually left over from previous seasons.

At previous warehouse sales, there used to occasionally be some really nasty, made-in-Malta suits that felt like cardboard that Herringbone stocked about five years back and which kept on turning up at warehouse sale after warehouse sale, but thankfully I think that they're all gone now.

You can sometimes score amazing deals at the warehouse sales, so it's well worth popping in to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads