• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is RLBL going downhill?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have RLBL suits maintained the same quality over the past few years?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the RLBL love on here is a little overshot. People are buying used RLBL suits for $650
facepalm.gif
. I have a couple sport coats myself, but they're definitely overrated here.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do have a reputable manufacturer (Caruso) but I'm curious if there has been a drop off in quality.

I sold a couple of RLBL suits recently, and they were beautiful, but I'm just curious about the current season.

Saltricks

Reaction score
I've tried on some of their stuff in store...the fit and construction is still pretty great compared to other things at that price level. If you have a nice big drop, RLBL looks like a million bucks.

chet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I've tried on some of their stuff in store...the fit and construction is still pretty great compared to other things at that price level. If you have a nice big drop, RLBL looks like a million bucks.

New here. Nice big drop?

rsuhandy

Reaction score
Drop in quality....maybe just slightly...but that's just my gut feeling.
I think they are terribly over-loved here on SF. Certainly could do better
for the prices that people are paying for RLBL.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chet
New here. Nice big drop?

A big number difference from chest to waist. A big drop would be maybe 7+ inches.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has RLPL changed since Caruso took over from St. Andrews?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of the reasoning behind the love here for RLBL revolves around the price, fit, and reasonable quality. The quality is decent enough to meet SF approval (mostly fully canvassed), and the price make it worthwhile. Compare RLBL with other suits at the same price point, RLBL blows most the competition apart. Sure if you are willing to spend $3K plus, you will find better quality suits than RLBL - but reality is RLBL = mid range suit masquerading as an upper range OTR suit. Bottom of the top is better than top of the bottom if that makes sense
eh.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a range of jackets from different years made of wool and cotton and I find no difference between their construction quality.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
A big number difference from chest to waist. A big drop would be maybe 7+ inches.

8+.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 5 Suits purchased in the last 2-3 years - costing between $600 - $800 (new) and they fit me straight off the rack, with only Cuffs being required. IMHO this equates to decent value.
On the other hand I have some St Andrews S Coats / Suits & love them.
I wore for the first time yesterday, a Beige Silk RLPL (Caruso) Suit purchased last year and i hate it. This no reflection on Caruso, but rather a ****** decision on my part, to buy a Silk Suit. It is going to stain like a Mother (oils from hands etc) and wrinkles something shocking...

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL's strength is its cut, construction and durability. They last a long time if used gently, making it a great investment. Some other designers, while they construct nice suits, use fabrics that just don't last.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have one RLBL (navy DB) that I purchased on here for $400 NWT. Best $400 suit I ever purchased... only $400 suit that I ever purchased. Very lightweight and delicate. I had had a few issues with its durability and I probably won't purchase another. I have been much happier buying BB GF Regent suits on sale--both are full canvas but the BB has more handiwork and better materials IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics