• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Review - Richard Lim Tailor – PLUS - Finished Navy Summer Jacket Pics

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
backarms.jpg

Do you have a photograph of the back like this but with your arms resting at your side?

- M

JakeLA

Reaction score
Beautiful jacket. Can I mention you if I drop by Mr Lim's shop?

Also, am I right in assuming this Brisa cloth was some private deal for that other forum and isn't available anymore?

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Do you have a photograph of the back like this but with your arms resting at your side?

- M

Hi mmkn, sorry none that turned out well. I was using a timer and had trouble staying still at the right moment. I'll try and take another shot sometime soon.

Originally Posted by JakeLA
Beautiful jacket. Can I mention you if I drop by Mr Lim's shop?

Also, am I right in assuming this Brisa cloth was some private deal for that other forum and isn't available anymore?

Thanks a lot :) Feel free to mention me to Sunny or Richard. Just say it's Alex who has been taking pictures for the forum post. They'll know who it is!

The Brisa was a private deal via the London Lounge. But if you email Michael Alden, he does have some Brisa remaining. In particular, there should be extra navy Brisa available.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn

- M

Here's a shot I just took this morning. Please ignore the green cords
smile.gif

There are a few things I'm going to ask Richard to tweak i.e. armhole size and some pulling along the shoulder blades.

backarmsdownb.jpg

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this thread. Nice work. It's quite incredible considering the price he charges. And considering his personality and your experience, it sounds great. I love the blunted corners. I would have gone for a diferent lapel style but it's unique and interesting.

I find it hilarious that everyone is wearing super baggy (what seems like) OTR shirts.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very, Very, nice and distinctive. It undoudtedly
reflects your own sensibility. Where is Lim in LA?
I'll be there in July.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Just stumbled upon this thread. Nice work. It's quite incredible considering the price he charges. And considering his personality and your experience, it sounds great. I love the blunted corners. I would have gone for a diferent lapel style but it's unique and interesting. I find it hilarious that everyone is wearing super baggy (what seems like) OTR shirts.
I'm glad you appreciate the details! Yes, it's always interesting to see what a tailor wears, and how far it can sometime deviate from iGent ideals
wink.gif
Originally Posted by RangerP
Awesome review. Any chance you could post pics of the other pieces he has made for you? I'm sure others would be interested as well. Thanks!
I'll take some pics of the final version of my first and second jacket when I get a chance. Here are links to the threads I started for each commission: My first jacket order. Also ordered a shirt, but Freddy Vandecasteele is my guy now: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=97396 My second jacket order. First experimental notch design (precursor to this design): http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133441 First pair of trousers: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=225341
Originally Posted by comrade
Very, Very, nice and distinctive. It undoudtedly reflects your own sensibility. Where is Lim in LA? I'll be there in July.
Thanks again, here's Richard Lim's contact info: Phone: 213.383.3333 E-mail: [email protected] Address: 2974 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90010 (Korea Town, between Vermont and Hoover) His assistant, Sunny, is the one who answers emails and usually picks up the phone.

coolal

Reaction score
Just snapped some new pics of my first and second order from Richard Lim. I'm also wearing my new Freddy V. shirts, that were posted in "Folded Up Shirt Appreciation" http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2727

My first jacket order. Freddy V white linen / cotton shirt
checkscwhitelinen.jpg

checkscwhitelinenback.jpg

My second jacket order. Freddy V blue linen sport collar shirt
navygarbbluesportcollar.jpg

navygarbbluesportcollarback.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the 2nd one better - the sleeves hang cleaner the buttoning point seems to high in #1. Also, there seems to be an issue with rippling below your back collar. Did you make adjustments in the patterns between each commission?

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I like the 2nd one better - the sleeves hang cleaner the buttoning point seems to high in #1. Also, there seems to be an issue with rippling below your back collar. Did you make adjustments in the patterns between each commission?

My preference is for the second one as well. The first jacket is now a "bar jacket" that I don't have to worry about too much.

The patterns have been tweaked between each commission. I believe that the third is now the best fit. That said, the pulling between the shoulder blades is an issue that keeps popping up. I think it has to do a bit with my posture being a bit too perfect when I get measured or try on the jacket; in use I hunch a bit more.

BTW, you may notice that the armholes are much higher on these jackets than the summer jacket. I'm still not convinced I want the same close fit for a summer garment.

I believe the fourth commission will be the one that comes out closest to "perfect". I've been hesitant to tweak these pieces too much.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
My preference is for the second one as well. The first jacket is now a "bar jacket" that I don't have to worry about too much.

The patterns have been tweaked between each commission. I believe that the third is now the best fit. That said, the pulling between the shoulder blades is an issue that keeps popping up. I think it has to do a bit with my posture being a bit too perfect when I get measured or try on the jacket; in use I hunch a bit more.

BTW, you may notice that the armholes are much higher on these jackets than the summer jacket. I'm still not convinced I want the same close fit for a summer garment.

I believe the fourth commission will be the one that comes out closest to "perfect". I've been hesitant to tweak these pieces too much.

Just need to shorten the back at top, will pull the vents up as well so they lie flat. You said the jackets were fully canvassed? Difficult to tell from the picture they very well might be, but it looks to me like they used fusing.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. I know that these kinds of threads take a lot of time and effort to start and continue. You are a true gentleman to do both. I applaud also your decisions to break away from the pack and develop your own personal brand. PGuido has done that to very good advantage. Thanks again.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
Just need to shorten the back at top, will pull the vents up as well so they lie flat. You said the jackets were fully canvassed? Difficult to tell from the picture they very well might be, but it looks to me like they used fusing.

Coolal goes to all this trouble to take all these photos and do a very detailed write-up, and all you can do is **** on him. So classy.

To Coolal: The jackets are beautiful I Richard Kim is now at the top of my to-do list. Thanks for one of the best posts I've seen on here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads