• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How am I doing for a 16 year old?

Oleg

Reaction score
Hope you've learned to take care of yourself if you're a 16 year old from New Zealand who dresses like that. I got called a '******* fruit' in Wellington for having a suit that fitted, properly shined shoes and a tie. I was 37 at the time and it was the middle of a working day.

Tie's horrible and the shirt in the first photo doesn't fit. But other than that, why the feck do you want to dress like Alan Partridge at 16?????

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yet another post by somebody who wants their ego stroked. They realize they are a little fish in a big pond and get upset.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people telling you to make new glasses a priority over a new suit are right.
As were those telling you to get rid of that check shirt, if no one did I am. At least don't wear it with a suit and tie.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
A suit might more attract a pervy male sport teacher .

lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Loathing
I don't really agree with a lot of what's been said here. Girls with any real taste appreciate quality, design, & style at that age. Why would you want to shag a girl who's dumb enough to like branded gucci/ralph?

I would say continue to buy things that are nice & that you like. You'll get the girls you actually want that way, and you won't look like a prick.

Dude, I don't know if you grew up in the 30s or something, but today, 99.5% of 16 year old girls care more about the smartphone you have than the quality of your suit. At that age, wearing a suit is dorky, and the only girls that age recognize is brands. Abercrombie is "cool", Kiton is "never heard of it".

Originally Posted by lasbar
At the tender of 16 , you're not going to marry the girl you're shagging...

You're not looking for a lifelong partner for heaven's sake...

Who cares if she is a bit dumb?

Being a Mensa's member is most liekly not high on his shopping list...

+1

Originally Posted by alphaO888
Are you being serious or did you not lose your v card until you were in college? Girls at that age could care less about a guy wearing a suit, let alone anything that you're wearing. It's so much more about social status within your school. As long as you're not dressing like a dork (which a suit does NOT help to do at that age) you'll be good.

bingo

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really agree with a lot of what's been said here. Girls with any real taste appreciate quality, design, & style at that age. Why would you want to shag a girl who's dumb enough to like branded gucci/ralph?
This is one of the most heinously idiotic things I've ever read on StyleForum. To a 16-year-old (who's not in some wealthy, ivy league prep academy), American Eagle is typical everyday clothing, Abercrombie and Banana Republic are "nice," and Gucci/Prada/etc (sportswear) are stratospherically desirable and concomitantly out of reach. Suits/jackets make you look like a nerd when you're in high school, particularly the way they tend to end up fitting people around that age -- in HS I had to wear a uniform with a tie, and had no choice, but everyone leapt at the opportunity to wear jeans and t-shirts on "grub days." Even at 30+, far more women fawn over branded Gucci and Ralph Lauren sportswear than any unbranded suit you can name, regardless of quality (very much including everything up to Savile Row, Brioni, Oxxford, and Rubinacci). See http://www.authenticforum.com, which is devoted to the likes of Rock & Republic, 7 For All Mankind, and True Religion, and is populated primarily by moms and professional women. To say that 16 year old girls "know better" (by SF's hermetically inbred standards) than to valorize mainstream designer labels is so stupid as to be offensive. No high-school girl (or guy, for that matter, outside of such narrow trust-fund-baby criteria as to be a meaningless demographic) has ever even heard of Kiton.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Yet another post by somebody who wants their ego stroked. They realize they are a little fish in a big pond and get upset.
I think he expected us to be blown away by his "plum check" shirt, animal print tie and the fact that he's 16.
confused.gif
OP: the whole get-up looks a bit silly and contrived. To a certain degree I applaud you, but I think the "I'm going to wear grown-up clothes" mentality will do more to distance you from your peers than attract them (unless that's your intention). With that said, you don't pull it off particularly well either - so those that might be inclined to appreciate it probably won't. You really should start with slimmer fitting garments - glaringly indicated by your shirt's collar size and sleeve length. Slim clothes would fit your body much better, both physically and proportionately. While I don't think you should aspire to be a Justin Bieber knock off, he really does do an outstanding job of portraying high style for a 16 year old. Everything he wears is cut to his proportions (key word as opposed to size) and he looks sophisticated and mature without dressing crotchety and old. Granted, I'm sure he has a team of stylists and every fabric on his body is custom made - but you can use him as a point of reference while infusing your own resources and preferences into the final product. You may have some luck on Topman.com. Their clothes are cut way slim and I'd imagine you'd be in their range for a well fitting blazer, pants and shirts. I can't swear by their stuff, but their brand would be better suited for you than many of us here. Also, the prices seem fairly reasonable - and in some cases downright cheap. Lastly, best of luck to you. Relax a little. Regardless of how well you put your outfits together, I promise you will look back at your 16 year old self evoking feelings embarrassment and inferiority. Just trust me on that.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
women are actually good for 4 things: cook, cleaning, vaginas and their sister's vaginas

Eight

Reaction score
Most "adults" in this thread aren't showing you their good side in my opinion. Sure, your collar is gaping but you're clearly having fun with this and have put some attention to it. That's what it is all about.

You seem to have a pretty good eye and I don't think your look is too "costumey", for what it's worth. I didn't have as much style as you at your age, you'll do great with this. Please don't get fazed by all the apparently "angry for some reason" people in this thread.

Bentley

Reaction score
Many posters on this thread seem to know far too much about picking up 16-year-old girls.

Just sayin'

peepwall[1].gif

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eight
Most "adults" in this thread aren't showing you their good side in my opinion. Sure, your collar is gaping but you're clearly having fun with this and have put some attention to it. That's what it is all about.

You seem to have a pretty good eye and I don't think your look is too "costumey", for what it's worth. I didn't have as much style as you at your age, you'll do great with this. Please don't get fazed by all the apparently "angry for some reason" people in this thread.

ffffuuuu.gif

VelvetGreen

Reaction score

I would say continue to buy things that are nice & that you like. You'll get the girls you actually want that way, and you won't look like a prick.

Good. *******. Luck.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
pozkpnhmgwvzcr.jpg
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Ahh yes, because one photo of one outfit is indicative of a celebrity's entire style.
justin-bieber-4.jpg
108103688.jpg
justin-bieber-11.jpg
justinbieber-dolcegabana-dg-05-2011.jpg
justinbieber-dolcegabana-dg-03-2011.jpg
Come on, for a 16-year old pop sensation he dresses pretty f'ing well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eight

I have to disagree with comments like this. People say it is all about having fun with it and don't listen to anybody else. While this may be the case for somebody putting on something and smiling and going about their way, this isn't the case for people signing on to a forum and posting pictures of themselves on the internet. The fact that somebody is going out of their way to do do this means that it is indeed more to them than just having a good time dressing up so they should take criticism and decide what to let in one ear and out the other and actually learn from the more constructive criticism. Some people really need to hear the crticism and if it is praise they are after they should just go about their way and impress the average boobs out there who don't know the difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads