• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first bespoke suit journey - advice/feedback please

yeeth

Reaction score
Hi guys,
i've finally dipped my toes into the inviting pool of bespoke and scheduled a fitting with Iris Tailors (maker of gshen's awesome suits). As this is my first bespoke (and probably the only one for at least a few years) i've been reading up quite a bit, but i have no experience in this and would really like to get it right.
Here's what i have in mind (i'm about 5'6" and 134lbs if it helps).

jacket:
navy blue SB double-vented
2-button with a lower button stance (first button at, or even 0.25" below, natural waist)
peak lapel, slightly slim but not skinny (around 2.75")
normally structured shoulder (vs the unstructured SF consensus)
high armholes
medium-high gorge
no ticket pocket, functional boutonniere, angled pockets
3 or 4 sleeve buttons?
either a neutral-coloured or a burgundy lining?

pants:
2 flat-front uncuffed pairs; 1 with belt loops and 1 with side adjusters
very little break and hemmed at an angle
right rear pocket only
not sure how wide the leg opening should be

to explain it all...
at my current income this suit is an investment for me so it has to look classic rather than trendy, and i'm hoping it stands out quietly with some of the details.

for the jacket:
i know that slim lapels are probably past their peak for the sartorially inclined, but they help balance out my rather narrow shoulders.
a structured shoulder should help with that as well, and as a bonus it balances out the "trendiness" of the slim lapels and the high armholes should make the structured shoulder look less jock-like.
the slightly high gorge and low buttonhole stance should make me look a little taller =D
i really like the idea of a burgundy lining but combining that with slanted pockets and peak lapels would stretch the definition of "stand out quietly" so maybe not.

as for the pants... i'm kind of lost here. i have rather large thighs, so i'm guessing tapered legs would make me look like a chicken? should i get a moderate leg opening?

any comments, criticisms, opinions or questions on any of the details i've proposed are welcome.

thanks guys!

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Don't fret the details too much, Nani will know most of what you want almost immediately. She does do quite a bit of waist suppression though - depending on tour build and preferences you might want to tone it down. She also does a very very clean fit and back which can be slightly constricting.

yeeth

Reaction score
yup well it's my first bespoke and i don't have that many RTW/MTM in the first place, so i'd like to have some opinions before my fitting so as not to look like a clueless monkey =D

i'll watch out for those characteristics, thanks! clean fit sounds good though, i don't envision myself wrestling a bear or doing the steeplechase in that suit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeeth
Hi guys,
i've finally dipped my toes into the inviting pool of bespoke and scheduled a fitting with Iris Tailors (maker of gshen's awesome suits). As this is my first bespoke (and probably the only one for at least a few years) i've been reading up quite a bit, but i have no experience in this and would really like to get it right.
Here's what i have in mind (i'm about 5'6" and 134lbs if it helps).

jacket:
navy blue SB double-vented
2-button with a lower button stance (first button at, or even 0.25" below, natural waist)
peak lapel, slightly slim but not skinny (around 2.75")
normally structured shoulder (vs the unstructured SF consensus)
high armholes
medium-high gorge
no ticket pocket, functional boutonniere, angled pockets
3 or 4 sleeve buttons?
either a neutral-coloured or a burgundy lining?

pants:
2 flat-front uncuffed pairs; 1 with belt loops and 1 with side adjusters
very little break and hemmed at an angle
right rear pocket only
not sure how wide the leg opening should be

to explain it all...
at my current income this suit is an investment for me so it has to look classic rather than trendy, and i'm hoping it stands out quietly with some of the details.

for the jacket:
i know that slim lapels are probably past their peak for the sartorially inclined, but they help balance out my rather narrow shoulders.
a structured shoulder should help with that as well, and as a bonus it balances out the "trendiness" of the slim lapels and the high armholes should make the structured shoulder look less jock-like.
the slightly high gorge and low buttonhole stance should make me look a little taller =D
i really like the idea of a burgundy lining but combining that with slanted pockets and peak lapels would stretch the definition of "stand out quietly" so maybe not.

as for the pants... i'm kind of lost here. i have rather large thighs, so i'm guessing tapered legs would make me look like a chicken? should i get a moderate leg opening?

any comments, criticisms, opinions or questions on any of the details i've proposed are welcome.

thanks guys!

Really? You find it inviting?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that advice (I'm in a similar positin to the OP), but what makes you say

Your chances of success are low
Is that because it's his first attempt? Or you don't know the tailor, or...?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that a notch lapel is better than a peak lapel. It will soon be dated.

Hacking pockets are already dated.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
Thanks for posting that advice (I'm in a similar positin to the OP), but what makes you say Is that because it's his first attempt? Or you don't know the tailor, or...?
Member voxsartoria has 500 bespoke garments, and only recently has he had moderate success with their outcome. He is speaking from experience.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I mean if that's all then I see the humor in the statement! The joke cuts a little bit close if a small-timer like me takes it too seriously...!
ffffuuuu.gif
But of course Vox is operating on a different scale of success/failure.

Good advice anyway so thanks.

yeeth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I agree that a notch lapel is better than a peak lapel. It will soon be dated.

Hacking pockets are already dated.

hmm... dated as in no longer "trendy", or dated as in it looks like i bought it 5 years ago?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have hacking pockets on one of my jackets and it feels aged. I think the hacking pocket trend is 4-5 years old. Peaked lapels might return as a trend but is not classic ageless, unless on a tux.

yeeth

Reaction score
hmm how about a slanted chest pocket but straight lower pockets? something like SB here:
14.jpg

yeeth

Reaction score
oh and since i was on SB... here's something like what i originally had in mind. although i don't like that style of peak lapels...
0013.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads