• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

xCrunchx

Reaction score
considered that, too hard, synth said that before. Do you guys reckon I could dye each sleeve a colour? If so how should I do that, like stopping the dye from going past the sleeves. Should I remove them :S and then do it?

I bought $5 sweats pants and shirts to do random stuff to.

mmmmpay

Reaction score
Question: Does clipping the collar and cuffs off a long-sleeve polo make for a serviceable henley approximation? I have two L L Bean long sleeve polos that are near 6 years old and have been worn maybe twice each. They're smalls but too big on me to wear without looking a bit unkempt. So my theory is, I might as well get some use out of them for layering/collarless pursuits.

So has any one tried this before? Does it look completely ridiculous or is this something I can get away with/possibly be happy about? Is it doomed to fail?

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Work in progress. Yeeeeeaaaaah.
Gwgjb.jpg

xCrunchx

Reaction score
Thats heaps good. How did you learn? Internet? Book?

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks, I learned the basics from my ex, the rest from internet videos. There's a lot of repetition involved, so once you figure out how to not mess up the basics it's pretty easy. As per Drew's advice I had a look at some patterns from japan. Those guys are ******* crazy. The patterns are really nice, but it's like they never hold back. Crazy techniques all over them, some I've never seen before. And their symbol guides suck:
vZOvj.jpg
What is this ****?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying to make my own cardigan but after seeing the indecipherable pic above I'm totally discouraged.
laugh.gif

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Unless you learn to knit and find that you really enjoy it I wouldn't recommend it. Enough (nice) materials to make a sweater can be anywhere from $40-200+, and then you have to factor in the time it'll take to complete. A hat can be done in a weekend, if you're fast. Socks in maybe a week. A sweater would be quite a bit longer, as you might imagine. It's hard, for me at least, to find a pattern that's both interesting and within my skills. Can't make it boring if you're going to be with a project for a long time.

xCrunchx

Reaction score
How long do you knit a day? Watching TV or somethign doesn't it get boring after a while?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Subscribed!

I have a few things to contribute...will have to find pics.

Some that I can think of:
-Dyed a pair of prescription sunglasses orange (a favorite of mine, and the color of my cycling team) but they broke while I was playing tennis a few weeks ago so I can't take pics.
-Dyed a cotton field jacket. Was going to make it a waxed cotton jacket (that is a good thread to link to here if the pictures are still alive...) but decided I liked it how it was.
-Made some slim cuffed shorts out of some thrifted pants.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xCrunchx
How long do you knit a day? Watching TV or somethign doesn't it get boring after a while?

The times I posted above are probably only accurate if you're really going for it, knitting a few hours a day. Obviously I don't do that, though. An hour would be a really productive day for me. Like I said earlier, it's really not worth it from an efficiency standpoint. Buying what you want is almost always cheaper and easier. But it is entertaining/relaxing, and if you enjoy it, why not?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So far this summer my DIY has consisted of:

cutting drkshdw combo pants into shorts

cutting rick swing shorts into shorter swing shorts

cutting the sleeves off a pleasure principle hoodie

I shouldn't be allowed near scissors.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I could have sworn you did the same with silent pants too ?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh right. Those got turned into shorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads