• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me round out my tie wardrobe.

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Some people buy ties to go with a specific outfit. Others just buy ties that they like. Regardless of how you approach your tie buying, you still have to do it within the context of your wardrobe, otherwise outfits look incongruent. From what I've seen, you don't really have a "knit tie" wardrobe. Knits look good with tweeds, odd jackets etc. You also don't have the wardrobe for paisleys/repps. You seem to favor patterned suits/jackets and non white/blue shirts. When you have pattern/color is the suit or shirt, which are such large expanses of fabric, you can't go hog wild on the tie. Even if the patterns are small, it becomes too much IMO when you have a patterned suit, green, peach or whatever color shirt and a tie with 3/4 colors.
edmorel & spoopoker are right. I agree about collars, have a look at what James Middleton & his father were wearing at that recent wedding (could be tied better but the idea is right).
hbz-royal-wedding-james-middleton-de.jpg
Here's some basic wardrobe combos: charcoal/grey suit + white shirt -> just about any tie. charcoal/grey suit + light blue shirt => yellows, greens, dash of red charcoal/grey suit + thin red striped shirt => grey tie Blue suit + white shirt -> red, maybe blue yellow tie. Blue suit + light blue shirt -> red tie, getting into dangerous territory Having more than one of patterned suit, shirt or tie starts looking odd. If you have a single colour shirt or tie, try textures to add interest. I really dont like shirts apart from white or pale blue, getting into solid teal or green or pink gets very difficult to coordinate.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in a good position: your tie collection may be small (mine is roughly the same size, BTW) but is very solid. Even if you wear ties every day at work, you're covered and you don't "need" any more so you can focus instead on what you want. You're in the enviable situation of being able to take your time and see if you come across anything you like, rather than having to hunt down something specifically.

That being said, if you're looking for ideas, I second the person that suggested the Sam Hober Macclesfield ties. You may see something there among the geometric prints that sparks your whimsy, since you don't really have any of those in your collection. Also, maybe look into linen and wool ties. This is my personal bias coming through but rather than go for loud patterns to break up monotony, I go for different materials.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Hi Threadbearer, your collection is good, but you need brighter colors and finer patterns.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColonialBoy
Too conservative = people think you are a fuddy duddy.
That's just the look I'm going for!

I DONT wear striped ties, I leave that to everyone else. If you refuse to wear striped ties your mindset completely changes.
Oh, come on, CB! You can't make an enigmatic statement like that and then just leave us all to wonder what it means. Please elaborate.

Originally Posted by blackdice
For the geometric / patterned ties, I'd start with navy / brown based ones. Both Drake's and Cappelli do a lot of lovely patterns in these colours and the patterns they use are usually not loud at all (e.g. circles, flowers, crests, etc.) and more modern than the ones used by Marinella so fairly easy to coordinate. Then I'd move into other colours such as dark green, burgundy, etc. My Cappelli tie that idfnl quoted above is in dark green, which is very versatile and works well with pretty much any shirts.
Thanks for the advice, bd.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im +1000ing the MTM shirts, rather than playing with your ties. There is nothing here that you are really missing besides a few neats, but the shirt thing is major, major advice.
Yep. I'm definitely indebted to ed for the shirt critique. For the record, though, nearly all my shirts are MTM and they already have taller-than-standard collars by one-quarter inch. (It sounds like I should add another eighth of an inch, though, eh?) Also, in response to advice I've gotten in WAYWRN, I have stopped ordering traditional spread collars and am switching over to wide spread and English spread collars, but not many of those have arrived yet.

edmorel & spoopoker are right. I agree about collars, have a look at what James Middleton & his father were wearing at that recent wedding (could be tied better but the idea is right).
hbz-royal-wedding-james-middleton-de.jpg

I'm confused, CB. It seems to me that the collar in the pic is exactly what ed and Spoo are trying to help me avoid. Did I misunderstand your point?

Originally Posted by tim_horton
I second the person that suggested the Sam Hober Macclesfield ties. You may see something there among the geometric prints that sparks your whimsy, since you don't really have any of those in your collection. Also, maybe look into linen and wool ties. This is my personal bias coming through but rather than go for loud patterns to break up monotony, I go for different materials.
Thanks, tim. Good suggestions.

either/or

Reaction score
-Liking where this thread is going, curious about the striped ties as well (I don't like them either).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
For the record, though, nearly all my shirts are MTM and they already have taller-than-standard collars by one-quarter inch. (It sounds like I should add another eighth of an inch, though, eh?)

Just cause they are MTM does not mean they are right. You need a wider spread and much longer points. You are a tall, slim dude - no need for narrow or puny points.
smile.gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just cause they are MTM does not mean they are right.
So I've been hearing.

You need a wider spread and much longer points. You are a tall, slim dude - no need for narrow or puny points.
smile.gif

Now I'm afraid that the English collar shirts I recently ordered still won't have long enough points. What's the ideal here, just long enough to hide under the lapels of one's jacket? If so, that seems rather arbitrary since each of my jackets has a different gorge.

Oh dear! What's a pencil-necked geek to do?
musicboohoo[1].gif

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Which brings me to your shirts. Your outfits would improve drastically if you got better fitting shirts. I think you were doing a MTM jacket recently, forget that for now. Get MTM/custom shirts. Your shirt collars are not doing you any favors. The points are too small, not spread enough and not enough height.

Really educational read, Ed, not just for Threadbearer either.

Curious, I know you go to CEGO for your custom shirts. Do you have a recommendation for online MTM however? I've been using someone local, and am wary of online operations, but I'm working on a write-up about online MTM shirts (as if the world needs another). Have you had any experiences with these things?

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
That's just the look I'm going for! Oh, come on, CB! You can't make an enigmatic statement like that and then just leave us all to wonder what it means. Please elaborate. I'm confused, CB. It seems to me that the collar in the pic is exactly what ed and Spoo are trying to help me avoid. Did I misunderstand your point?
Here's some recent non-striped ebay purchases. They are silk, vibrant colours, about $5 from China.
%3F%3F_278.jpg
7IwQp.jpg
t0331_%2821%29.jpg=600
t0306_%288%29.jpg=600
James Middleton wasnt the best pic, Mark Steines generally has good shirt/tie combos.
mark_steines_5094853.jpg

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's some recent non-striped ebay purchases. They are silk, vibrant colours, about $5 from China.

Sorry to see you overpaid.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HarleyBob

Reaction score
If it was $5 for the lot, I wouldn't say he over paid, but he certainly wasted $5.

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
Sorry to see you overpaid.
I'ts clear that this place is full of stuck up twats with more money than brains so I have asked the moderators to cancel my account here. Goodbye and good riddance.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
You're missing a lot of those great printed silks that makers like Marinella and Capelli are fond of. Drakes does good ones. Panta has made a number as well.

This. Get some neats as well as some more simple repp stripes: navy with wide spaced white stripes, brown with white/light blue stripes... Navy with white pindots, wine/burgundy with white pindots... Hmmm.

I'd also get some wool weaves like shepards check etc. Ed is offering a great brown shepards check wool piece in the Panta thread! Good luck buddy.

btw, ever felt the finer grenadine weave? if so why do you prefer the larger weave? Just curious here. Thinking of trying a garza gross in chocolate brown for my next grenadine, only have a navy garza fina currently.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'ts clear that this place is full of stuck up twats with more money than brains so I have asked the moderators to cancel my account here.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Before you go, educate me on how my money would be best spent on those ties, please. My brains dont fully comprehend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads