• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Planning to Cook?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Slightly different approach than some other threads. I often plan out something different for a weekend meal or line up a big project like a batch of sausage. I thought a thread where we talk about what we're planning and can solicit input might be a good idea and not clutter up Kyle's Random Questions thread. Pics of results will be well thought of in this thread.

So I plan to make the crispy pork belly confit recipe in Ruhlman's book this weekend. The only difference is that I plan to do it sous vide. I'm thinking of cutting it into about 2x4" rectangles and doing two of those per pouch. About 18 hours at 176. I should get three pouches out of a belly and plan to freeze two of those portions. For finishing I plan to pan fry them in the fat from the cooking pouch until crispy or torching them until crispy.

Thoughts on the sous vide vs. traditional lard poach and finishing method? FWIW, the book's recipe calls for deep frying them to finish.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is, AFAIK, overcooking. At 176 you don't need 18 hours, 12 is more than enough. Also, the bags can be kept at fridge temp for pretty much ever, no need to freeze. They are effectively sterilized after 8 hours at 80C.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That is, AFAIK, overcooking. At 176 you don't need 18 hours, 12 is more than enough. Also, the bags can be kept at fridge temp for pretty much ever, no need to freeze. They are effectively sterilized after 8 hours at 80C.

You're probably correct on the time, thanks. I use 18 hours at that temp for my short ribs which is no doubt a tougher cut. I'd not thought about just using the fridge as I guess I've trained myself to freeze things for longer term storage.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know what I'm gonna cook when I get home tomorrow, but I have tons of beautiful vegetables I bought at Kinokuniya today. Will have to think of proteins to go with.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You're probably correct on the time, thanks. I use 18 hours at that temp for my short ribs which is no doubt a tougher cut. I'd not thought about just using the fridge as I guess I've trained myself to freeze things for longer term storage.
Freezer might be marginally safer if you keep them for too long, but the texture will be compromised. I've never seen a recommendation to cook anything other than abalone at that high a temp for that long. The standard high temp braise is generally 8 hours at 176. I can't really speak from experience, though, because I cook meat for longer at much lower temps.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pound of frozen baby octopi I picked up at the Asian market. Thinking of making a Spanish-inspired braise with them but I'm coming up a little light on inspiration. Any suggestions?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I have a pound of frozen baby octopi I picked up at the Asian market. Thinking of making a Spanish-inspired braise with them but I'm coming up a little light on inspiration. Any suggestions?

No suggestions but looking forward to seeing the finished product.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

Octopus is one of the few things that I think are best grilled.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wrong thread I guess, but since we're on the topic of octopus...

I LOVE grilled octopus but I recently read something from Mike Symon (I have no idea what the SF cooking bigtimer opinion of Symon is but I can guess) saying you have to cook the crap out of octopus. I think the article said something about sauteeing it, then essentially boiling the **** out of it, before finally grilling it. He said that kept it from being tough... it made it sound like it might be mushy though the way he recommended. Any thoughts from the intelligentsia?

Bear in mind that there's basically no way for me to get optimally fresh octopus, btw.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think octopus is a little like calamari and abalone in that it can either be cooked very quickly, or for a long time. Anything in the middle doesn't work and ends up tasting like tire rubber.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
as for "planning to cook" it would have been better to catch me on Sunday. I went to the farmer's market (really the only big one around here i can get to) and then the "regular" supermarket and brought home a huge haul and went to work for the week. i prepped a bunch of stuff for the week and got ready for a bunch of meals:

slow roasted a pork shoulder for about 6-7 hours with some thyme til it broke down enough for me to pull it out for sandwiches for the week... and then some.

made up some asparagus soup for the refrigerator. had some chilled tonight for dinner with morels. couldn't resist a few bites of pork.

I've got a beef short rib braise pretty much done, just have to reduce the sauce and add a starch for company on thursday.

bought some good eggs - i've never tried poaching eggs before and i figured i should have some decent ones to try.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Wrong thread I guess, but since we're on the topic of octopus...

I LOVE grilled octopus but I recently read something from Mike Symon (I have no idea what the SF cooking bigtimer opinion of Symon is but I can guess) ...

We ate at Lola Bistro last year. Loved it. His beef cheek perogies were one of the best appies we've ever had. His house made charcuterie plate included duck speck. Phenomenal.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think octopus is a little like calamari and abalone in that it can either be cooked very quickly, or for a long time. Anything in the middle doesn't work and ends up tasting like tire rubber.
I've heard this too. One time I picked up a dozen or so baby octopi at the grocery store because they looked interesting, and got a oiled pan super hot, threw them in for a couple seconds with some minced garlic and took them out. Added salt pepper and lemon. Viola: nicely seasoned rubber. There must be more to the technique, because they barely touched the pan.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quick cooking really only works with very young and small octopus. For med/lrg ones I whack the hell out of them with a mallet, simmer for a long time with a cork or a big piece of daicon. Only then do I grill, saute or deep fry.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
what can i do with zucchini flowers? I've got a couple that will go off in the next couple days, want to use them properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads