• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American table manners

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most Americans don't know the proper table manners. Is it the same in Europe?

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Most Americans don't know the proper table manners. Is it the same in Europe?

Yes.
But my intention was to discuss manners themselves, not people's respect of them(or lack, thereof).

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
American's have grammars?
confused.gif

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
American's have manners?
confused.gif

ha...right. "American table manners" is a paradox in itself. I'm appalled by the **** I see even in "nice" restaurants. Eat as Europeans do... with some decor & common sense!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels
ha...right. "American table manners" is a paradox in itself. I'm appalled by the **** I see even in "nice" restaurants. Eat as Europeans do... with some decor & common sense!
How, exactly, do you eat with decor? Do you snag some wallpaper and use it to wipe your chin, or do you grab a candy dish and use it to shovel soup into your mouth? -An American

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any generalization will be sterotypical to some extent... I'm in HK now so you could just grab your chopsticks, put the bowl to your lips and shovel it in!!! No one here seems to care
plain.gif

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean not like a slob or a little kid.... just recently at a "nice/ upscale" restaurant in LA I saw a grown man with his wife for dinner, in between audible belching, pushing food onto his fork with his finger.... I mean really... that falls into the realm of the indecorous....

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies I should have said "decorousness" but I figured the point was clear... I wasn't aware the grammar police were out in force today....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels
Apologies I should have said "decorousness" but I figured the point was clear... I wasn't aware the grammar police were out in force today....
Oh, my bad. Tuesday is for the manners police and wednesday is grammar police day?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Oh, my bad. Tuesday is for the manners police and wednesday is grammar police day?

anyway... c'mon.... I'm not being argumentative.... the point was/is having some level of propriety while eating .... in public I guess should be added. It can't be ignored sometimes when you're dining in a small, cozy bistro and the people at the next table are belching, talking and chewing while food is dropping out of their mouths, etc....

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
matt, you're being really american, I mean rude.

;-)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
matt, you're being really american, I mean rude.

;-)

thx Master-Classter
bigstar[1].gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I invite my North American family to restaurants in France, they are shocked by our practice of making mouillettes (dipping bread into the leftover sauce on the plate).

North Americans also love dressing up to eat out somewhere nice, which means I frequently come off as a slob in restaurants here.

Different strokes?

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
It I hold my fork in my left hand with the curved part up...

Originally Posted by fwiffo
I learnt from my mother who was born in a British colony so it was always tines down with the fork in the left.

This is absolutely the proper way to use a fork in terms of etiquette, but how contra-functional!

Next question: who spoons their soup away from them?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that the way people hold their knife and fork to be a reliable indicator of their social class. It's rather amusing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads