• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Picked up a Ferragamo suitcase (more like overnight bag) the other day.

Things have been pretty dry around here.

DSC_0572.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

Etro Tie-

DSC_0560.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

Some other things not exciting enough to list.

Anybody have any ideas on the value of the Ferragamo suitcase? I can't find anything similar but I have no use for it and no real way of pricing it.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
PM'ed. Picked up two Brioni suits today (one for $10, one for $8), thought I had something decent lol. I'll probably return em tomorrow.

011-5.jpg

Oh god that's such ****** stuff. I feel bad for you, I'll take them off your hands.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM'ed. Picked up two Brioni suits today (one for $10, one for $8), thought I had something decent lol. I'll probably return em tomorrow.

011-5.jpg

Wow - those are truly bottom-end stuff. I'll be happy to take both off your hands for what you paid. PM sent!
biggrin.gif

lilmann40

Reaction score
Hey, I was hoping you guys could help me out...I've been seeing a lot of ties, blazers, etc. by brands that "look" nice, but I just don't know if they are worth picking up. I'm just going to throw some names out and feel free to let me know if any of these are decent...and also, feel free to add any that are not known as much as more mainstream brands.

I mean I see tons of Made in Italy/Pure Silk/Made in Paris, etc.

Memphis Milano
Daks
XMI
J. Garcia
Countess Mara
Jhane Barnes
Ralph Marlin
Damon
Hardy Amies

I know there's more...will keep brainstorming as I remember what I've seen around.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey, I was hoping you guys could help me out...I've been seeing a lot of ties, blazers, etc. by brands that "look" nice, but I just don't know if they are worth picking up. I'm just going to throw some names out and feel free to let me know if any of these are decent...and also, feel free to add any that are not known as much as more mainstream brands.

Memphis Milano
Daks
XMI
J. Garcia
Countess Mara
Jhane Barnes
Ralph Marlin
Damon
Hardy Amies

I know there's more...will keep brainstorming as I remember what I've seen around.

and here we go again
lurker[1].gif

krspdla

Reaction score

Memphis Milano
Daks
XMI
J. Garcia
Countess Mara
Jhane Barnes
Ralph Marlin
Damon
Hardy Amies

Just read the thread, you'll honestly learn everything you need. It's what I did.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Memphis Milano
Daks
XMI
J. Garcia
Countess Mara
Jhane Barnes
Ralph Marlin
Damon
Hardy Amies

Try not to focus so much on brands. There are less and less out there everyday.
The Goodwill here is now holding everything from Armani to Zegna. Most thrift stores these days are opening their own ebay accounts. The days of finding random Kitons, Hermes, Zegna,... ties are over.

If you are looking for items for yourself, keep an eye out for older Banana Republic, Lands End, Gap, Eddie Bauer, Orvis, Harris Tweed items,... They have little/no resale value on ebay so the pros won't snatch them up.
Some Lands End ties are fantastic. Made in USA, wool lining,... Higher quality than the current Brooks Brothers made in USA ties that retail for $100.
Older made in USA Gap and BR wool sweaters are great too.

jobro

Reaction score
Here is a useful tip.

If you would wear it, it looks good on you, and is decent quality; buy it.

A name does not change the quality of the item.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Memphis Milano
Daks
XMI
J. Garcia
Countess Mara
Jhane Barnes
Ralph Marlin
Damon
Hardy Amies

The Daks, made in England, are good finds.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much frustration today:

A bunch of handmade Italian suits in my size, but all a couple of inches too short (i.e. beyond alteration).

A pair of J M Weston and a pair of Ducker & Sons bespoke that were too small.

A pair of Berluti that fit, and I was about to buy, until I saw the 1" rip on the side of the toebox.

An orphaned Brioni suit jacket for $250.

But at the end of the day I came home with an 18-month old Benson & Clegg suit that only needs the sleeves lengthened a bit, so it wasn't a wasted trip.

krspdla

Reaction score
I remember finding a BNWT Alan Flusser suit about a month ago, is their stuff any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads