• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Wow, those look great!

I just peeped them on LS's website. Too bad the BH branch doesn't carry them. I would love to see the quality in person. I may buy those as I really like the shape. Sans the monks, the only other pair of shoes I plan on buying is a pair of navy Tricker's. Price is surely a lot more than Aldens, but I don't mind paying for quality.

If you live in Southern California, why not visit the John Lobb store in Costa Mesa?

Tricker's are actually comparable to Alden in price.

Originally Posted by wj4
Zippy,

Where do you buy your C&Js from? Aside from Barneys, I know of no place that carries them instore.

Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers both have some of their shoes made by C&J.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Two Shoes
I posted about a month ago with a pair of 10E Rough Roys that were too big for my feet. I returned them for the next-closest-down size which was a 9D. The length on the big toe seems ok but the outside of my foot feels kinda jammed and my little toes feel kinda jammed. How much will these stretch?

On my next pair of Aldens (Turbalance last) should I go up a size or just increase the width?

Also, I have a history with boots where my foot eventually bulges out the side, to the point where the outside edge of my foot falls on the little raised ridge that connects the sole to the upper (see pic), making it uncomfortable to walk and making the boot, eventually unwearable. Would going to an E width alleviate that? What is the danger in erring on the wide side?

pgMAm.jpg

The difference in a D width to an E width is 3/16ths of an inch. When sizing up in width the heel size also increases, for example a 9 B/D to a 9 C/E. This leaves you the possibility of the heel being too wide for you. From what you have said I would either go to a wider size or size up a 1/2 size to alleviate the width problem.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some cool suede Indys on crepe soles at the Bureau.
aalden1.jpg

thebunk

Reaction score
Looking for a good all purpose long wing shoe and am leaning towards the J Crew tobacco calf shoes. I already have a pair of black calf wingtip boots (Epaulet) and preordered a pair of Ravello Cordovan wingtip boots (Epaulet). Wondering if I should wait though and get a pair of cordovan long wings instead of settling for J Crew shoes. Arrrg, decisions.

Any thoughts? As I mentioned earlier, I am heading to NYC next month.

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
Looking for a good all purpose long wing shoe and am leaning towards the J Crew tobacco calf shoes. I already have a pair of black calf wingtip boots (Epaulet) and preordered a pair of Ravello Cordovan wingtip boots (Epaulet). Wondering if I should wait though and get a pair of cordovan long wings instead of settling for J Crew shoes. Arrrg, decisions.

I have the J Crew tobacco LWBs and they get more wear than any of my others long wings. I wear them with jeans, kahkis, and have even worn them with a summer suit.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted about a month ago with a pair of 10E Rough Roys that were too big for my feet. I returned them for the next-closest-down size which was a 9D. The length on the big toe seems ok but the outside of my foot feels kinda jammed and my little toes feel kinda jammed. How much will these stretch?

On my next pair of Aldens (Turbalance last) should I go up a size or just increase the width?

you went from 10E to 9D, you fucked up

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
you went from 10E to 9D, you fucked up
+1 You went from a 10E to a shoe nearly equivalent in width to a 10B. When you consider that you also dropped one full length, it's shocking that you can even get your foot into that shoe. It just goes to show how ****** the 10E shoe fit to begin with. Stop buying expensive shoes until you know what you're doing.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk

I think the J Crew tobaccos are best seen as an all purpose longwing. Since they are in chromexcel and cost less than cordovan, you may not fuss over them as you would a pair of whiskeys. Yet they are as sturdy as any Alden and can look very handsome when cleaned up, polished, etc. You can wear em out to bars, wear em in the rain, wear em with khakis, denim, dress pants, etc. It's like a more refined version of an all-weather walker

Two Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
+1
You went from a 10E to a shoe nearly equivalent in width to a 10B. When you consider that you also dropped one full length, it's shocking that you can even get your foot into that shoe. It just goes to show how ****** the 10E shoe fit to begin with.

Stop buying expensive shoes until you know what you're doing.

Lol that's fukin funny. Stopped by B&S lately? Nobody here knows what they're doing.

How else go about finding the right size? Try on shoes, ask questions, see what feels right.

Clearly, the 10E was huge on my foot. You can see the pics in my first post on the topic. It was the result of ****** sizing recommendations given to me by a local Alden retailer after measuring my foot- didn't have any Trubalance lasts to try on. The 9D was the next closest size down when I returned the 10E and it fits fine except I'm worried about the width. Hence, my question about going up a size vs increasing the width. My wallet is fine and I'm buying more Aldens. Sizing help is appreciated.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you fly to a retailer that knows what the **** they're doing instead of asking a bunch of people on the internet what you should do?

Alden in SF would be able to at least get you into a shoe one standard deviation from your true size.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How else go about finding the right size? Try on shoes, ask questions, see what feels right.

I would probably just concentrate on the bolded. I don't understand how you went from 10E to 9D.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Why don't you fly to a retailer that knows what the **** they're doing instead of asking a bunch of people on the internet what you should do?

Alden in SF would be able to at least get you into a shoe one standard deviation from your true size.

Most people don't comprehend what it is like to live hundreds of miles from any store that carries Aldens. Sometimes you just have to take your chances (hopefully with a chance of returning them before you realize your feet are getting crushed).

On another topic, there's a pair of natural CE PTB's (9.5) on B&S, but that posting has the worst example of thread bumping I have seen. Not the fault of the original poster, but still annoying.

Why are responses like this to B&S posts considered acceptable?
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...00#post4473800

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Most people don't comprehend what it is like to live hundreds of miles from any store that carries Aldens. Sometimes you just have to take your chances (hopefully with a chance of returning them before you realize your feet are getting crushed).

On another topic, there's a pair of natural CE PTB's (9.5) on B&S, but that posting has the worst example of thread bumping I have seen. Not the fault of the original poster, but still annoying.

Why are responses like this to B&S posts considered acceptable?
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...00#post4473800

Couldn't agree more. I've only sold a few things on the forum but it pisses me off to no end when your thread gets bumped to page 2 in no time at all due to the BS on B&S. Wish the mods would try to curtail this a bit but I realize it would be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads