• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light moisturizer and sunblock combo

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it recommended to use one of the combo ones out there? I want a very light moisturizer that won't make me feel greasy.

I'm going to be spending a lot more time in LA soon and will need a good sunblock to apply every couple of hours.

What is my best bet? Is paying the extra money for Kiehls and that strata of products worth it?

Tried to search but I can't find anything. Thanks

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a big ass bottle of Alba Botanica. SPF 16, it goes on kinda heavy but is not at all greasy once there. Natural and all that crap. Check Amazon.

lexmann

Reaction score
Try Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer. SPF20, will protect your face well. Not greasy at all. Not expensive at all. I have been using it for more than 3 years.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lexmann
Try Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer. SPF20, will protect your face well. Not greasy at all. Not expensive at all. I have been using it for more than 3 years.

+1

I was gonna recommend the same thing.

turboman808

Reaction score
I use Kiehls SPF 50 on my face. It's great because it's designed to be used with whatever your favorite facial cream. I use Kiehls Rosa Arctica on my face then elemis mens eye cream and then the kiehls spf 50. Not as complicated as it sounds and works amazingly well.

http://www.kiehls.com/Rosa-Arctica/r...efault,pg.html
http://www.kiehls.com/Super-Fluid-UV...=face-sun-care
http://www.elemis.com/TimeForMen/Pro...s.aspx?pid=184

For my arm and neck I use Kiehls Creme De Corps with SPF 30.

http://www.kiehls.com/Creme-de-Corps...creme-de-corps

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get the Jack Black.

As for all that Kiehls stuff... I don't know how people can slather that much **** on their face without any clinical trials or proof that it works.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I use Anthony SPF15 almost every day here. I prefer it to Jack Black, although that is also good.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I use Anthony SPF15 almost every day here. I prefer it to Jack Black, although that is also good.

What do you like more about it?

aphextwin07

Reaction score
If you have the time for it it's better and recommended to use separate products but for convenience and daily moderate sun exposure the combos can be okay. Here's my 2 cents from reading the replies in here: Both the Anthony SPF and Jack Black Double Duty mentioned have parabens so I would immediately rule them out due to the toxicity and cancer causing potential. The Anthony SPF also has vitamin A which kind of defeats the purpose of it being an SPF product to begin with. Kiehl's is equally as bad/harmful as the Jack Black/Anthony (they're all ranked moderately harmful fwiw). In other words, avoid 99% of the recommendations in this thread. Alba Botanical is actually the only good recommendation so far in this thread (scores 2/10 for toxicity which is excellent) but I haven't tried it so can't comment on greasiness. The EWG cosmetics and sunscreen databases can provide you with all these facts for these and a plethora of other products so you should just check there for more info. With that said, I've been on a pretty exhaustive search for something safe/effective/non-greasy for daily use over the past few weeks. I just got the Desert Essence SPF in the mail yesterday, which is all natural and zinc-based and is not greasy or chalky even for a zinc-based product (as zinc sunscreens usually are). It doesn't have the best moisturizing characteristics but sunscreen/moisturizer combos never do anyway so that is to be expected (part of the reason why it's recommended to use separate products). Their products also rank amongst the safest according to EWG so I would recommend you give it a look, or the Alba Botanica if you can find it.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toro
I'm thinking about trying this organic brand by Marie Veronique. It has be favored at the skin care forum.

http://mvorganics.com/_product_83436...F_30_-_No_Tint

interesting, safe ingredients list... looks to possibly be better than the one i've recommended due to the non-nano zinc oxide. was just reading up on that actually, some pretty interesting info on it here. i might have to give this a try once my desert essence runs out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads