• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USPS - Most Worthless Tracking System?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I get a tracking number for a package that is being delivered by USPS, it says "Electronic Shipping Info Received from Shipper". It continues to say that same sentence until after the package is delivered, at which point it is switched to "Package Delivered at Location on [Date]".

Is it just me, or is this the most worthless tracking system?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Every time I get a tracking number for a package that is being delivered by USPS, it says "Electronic Shipping Info Received from Shipper". It continues to say that same sentence until after the package is delivered, at which point it is switched to "Package Delivered at Location on [Date]".

They've recently updated their system so now it says "in transit" when it hasn't yet been delivered yet. hehe

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you are using Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. That is why it is so cheap/free.

There are other USPS services IIRC that have proper tracking

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Sounds like you are using Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. That is why it is so cheap/free.

I'm just talking about whatever service ebay shippers use to ship stuff.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just talking about whatever service ebay shippers use to ship stuff.

Probably that one... it is not real tracking. Delivery confirmation is free if you use USPS/Paypal for shipping and you use Priority mail.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As the head of the fulfillment / logistics department at the company I work for, I can tell you that without a doubt the USPS is the worse shipping service in America today, followed (ever so closely) by DHL (and seeing as DHL's @ home service uses the USPS for final delivery of the package, they might as well be the same piece-of-**** company).

The USPS system is so craptacular because it only updates when the package hits either major centers and / or major occurrences in the transit time/life of the package have occurred. Unfortunately for you (and me), the USPS only considers their receipt of the package and it's delivery as the "˜major occurrences' of the package. "˜In transit' is only stated when the USPS has no earthly idea where the package is currently located; they just know that it's neither delivered nor in the hands of the original shipper.

FedEx Ground's Home Delivery service is almost as bad (thanks Brooks Brothers and Polo for using utter **** to deliver my $500 orders, you cheap bastards; and they are the cheap ones, because I get charged $35 for shipping, when in actually it costs them $7...I guess they just needed yet "˜ANOTHER' revenue stream*). The package only updates when it is scanned at major service centers, but since they DON'T work on MONDAYS (WTF?) it is impossible to have a package rerouted to another delivery location; as I do since, I tend to have packages delivery to my office, instead of home, which sits empty, devoid of people during delivery hours...yet they tend to try to deliver on Saturdays to my office, the one day I'm never there.

Also, unlike FedEx Express the drivers are independent contractors and have no scanning / communication equipment on their trucks whatsoever, thus the centers have no way of communicating with them anyways, in case any change to the delivery location must be made; all in all, a perfect waste of resource, planning and time management. For proper delivery I would recommend UPS, including UPS Ground and FedEx Express.

Jon.

*midstream!

metkirk

Reaction score
Dont use USPS, the tracking system sucks balls. I've switched to using UPS a while ago.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

it is worthless.
i just check in 4-5 days , i dont even bother to see where it is at.

dhl, fedex much better in their tracking info.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre

Not really, Express service or track and confirm services on Registered / Certified Mail aren't any better. Express, BTW is shipped by UPS and FedEx! You give your USPS Express envelope to the USPS and they give it to UPS or FedEx to fly the package in one of their planes, who then give the envelope back to USPS, who makes the delivery. During this entire time, the tracking is still hopelessly under-informing and out of date.

Jon.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I assume it's of some value to the shipper -- not necessarily to the recipient -- in that it provides confirmation of delivery.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah! It is useless. I once had the package in hand, and checked the tracking the next day out of curiosity, as I was frustrated with its lack of updates, and it still said it was "In Transit."

FedEx definitely has the best tracking and seems to be willing to deliver earlier if for some reason, the package gets to the local hub sooner than the expected date. I know with UPS Ground, they actually will hold a package for a day or two if it somehow gets to the local hub earlier. I remember checking a UPS Ground tracking number, and it was scanned as arriving to my local hub 2 days before the schedule delivery date, and that night, it was scanned as leaving the hub. Then 8 hours later, it was scanned arriving at the same hub. Then the next day, the same thing... and then finally it was delivered the following day. Go figure.
confused.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least they don't have package dunking over the fence competitions like FedEx & UPS do...Ngrh.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to take this thread one step further and say that the USPS is incredibly poor at just about everything. Tracking, customer service, sending/delivering mail, and whatever else there is.

mad.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'd like to take this thread one step further and say that the USPS is incredibly poor at just about everything. Tracking, customer service, sending/delivering mail, and whatever else there is.

mad.gif

Agreed, give me Canada Post any day of the week...Ah, nuts to that, give me the Israeli Postal Authority, they will track you down if they can't find you.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads