• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
What's your budget? IMO the Alden monk strap is not a great looking shoe.

If I money were no object, I'd go for the Lobb St. Crepin 2010 (available at LS and other fine retail establishments):

20101.jpg

Wow, those look great!

I just peeped them on LS's website. Too bad the BH branch doesn't carry them. I would love to see the quality in person. I may buy those as I really like the shape. Sans the monks, the only other pair of shoes I plan on buying is a pair of navy Tricker's. Price is surely a lot more than Aldens, but I don't mind paying for quality.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
xqa0k.jpg
214yrmd.jpg
cigar lhs argyles otc

I am saving up for these (shoes). They are about perfect, aren't they. The socks are intense. Wow

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Anyone here got monk straps? If so, please share your opinion on them.

I want a pair of double monk straps, but may settle for a single from Alden as I don't know where to get a good pair of double monk straps at the moment.

I've got a pair of the #8 Monks from BB and if I had to do it over again, I'm not 100% sure I'd get them.

Get yourself some Crockett & Jones Lowndes.
Allegedly the Shipton & Heneage Lowndes is made by C&J and are a fair bit less expensive than C&J. See http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=232565
The 348 last is kind of funky though and you definitely want to try it on first. A lot of the models that Barney's carries are on the 348.

Allegedly AE is re-releasing the Mora soon. They're kind of blobby but people around here love them.

(Shouldn't you be saving up for your GMT?)

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I've got a pair of the #8 Monks from BB and if I had to do it over again, I'm not 100% sure I'd get them.

Get yourself some Crockett & Jones Lowndes.
Allegedly the Shipton & Heneage Lowndes is made by C&J and are a fair bit less expensive than C&J. See http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=232565
The 348 last is kind of funky though and you definitely want to try it on first. A lot of the models that Barney's carries are on the 348.

Allegedly AE is re-releasing the Mora soon. They're kind of blobby but people around here love them.

(Shouldn't you be saving up for your GMT?)

I have different saving pools, Zippyh.
uhoh.gif

Honestly, I'm not going to buy it until November. If I'm obedient, I should be good with 2 months of saving. I'm guessing that $7,000 will do the trick.

The next big purchase is a Hermes bag for mom's birthday in summer.

Now, it's just a bunch of smaller purchases that are killing me. Going to go on vacation back to the homeland next week so of course, I gotta come bearing gifts.

I'm not a fan of AE for some reason.

Do you know if Crockett & Jones Lowndes fit like the Monktons?

The Barneys in BH has CJs, but they're not too knowledgeable about lasts.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
All of my Aldens are quite heavy. Perhaps it's the wood mid-sole and leather sole.
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
All Aldens are heavy, it's probably due mostly to the steel shank. The midsole is cork, not wood.
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
******* christ, it's not wood
Originally Posted by sazon
Correct. It's stainless steel
Originally Posted by Hot Dog Day #49
pretty sure it's actually cement
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
The steel part is just the shank, not the entire midsole. If the entire midsole was steel (or wood, for that matter), no Alden shoe would be able to flex at all.
Say on a work-style boot it'll probably be leather heelstacks and in- & mid-soles, cork outsole, rubber heal and a steel shank. The steel shank isn't all that big, but does add to the weight a little. I think the major determinants would be the layer of mid-soles, out-sole material as well as the total of the upper...welted shoes/boots tend to be on the heavier side anyway (the filling material - cork, etc - adds to the weight too).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I have different saving pools, Zippyh.
uhoh.gif

Honestly, I'm not going to buy it until November. If I'm obedient, I should be good with 2 months of saving. I'm guessing that $7,000 will do the trick.

The next big purchase is a Hermes bag for mom's birthday in summer.

Now, it's just a bunch of smaller purchases that are killing me. Going to go on vacation back to the homeland next week so of course, I gotta come bearing gifts.

I'm not a fan of AE for some reason.

Do you know if Crockett & Jones Lowndes fit like the Monktons?

The Barneys in BH has CJs, but they're not too knowledgeable about lasts.

Yeah, the Monkton is on the 348.

Geez, I love my mom and all, but not Hermes bag level!

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I am saving up for these (shoes). They are about perfect, aren't they.

The socks are intense. Wow

I have those socks -- bordeaux merino otc argyle, I believe. They are excellent, my single favorite pair of socks, if I had to choose.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Yeah, the Monkton is on the 348.

Geez, I love my mom and all, but not Hermes bag level!

Zippy,

Where do you buy your C&Js from? Aside from Barneys, I know of no place that carries them instore.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I am saving up for these (shoes). They are about perfect, aren't they.

The socks are intense. Wow

thank you

Two Shoes

Reaction score
I posted about a month ago with a pair of 10E Rough Roys that were too big for my feet. I returned them for the next-closest-down size which was a 9D. The length on the big toe seems ok but the outside of my foot feels kinda jammed and my little toes feel kinda jammed. How much will these stretch?

On my next pair of Aldens (Turbalance last) should I go up a size or just increase the width?

Also, I have a history with boots where my foot eventually bulges out the side, to the point where the outside edge of my foot falls on the little raised ridge that connects the sole to the upper (see pic), making it uncomfortable to walk and making the boot, eventually unwearable. Would going to an E width alleviate that? What is the danger in erring on the wide side?

pgMAm.jpg

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom,

I've purchased a few pair of shoes from Bryan at BH and have talked to him on the phone as well as exchanged numerous emails. Have always enjoyed doing business with him. Recently, he took care of a Alden order that was shipped from HI. The shoes from HI came with some candy in the box. You need to tell Bryan that he should step up his game!
bigstar[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all those interested in the special make-up of ravello on the plaza last with medallion cap toe: Spoke to Cathy @ Alden DC today and she said the order was officially put through a few weeks ago.

I'd imagine we'd see these...what....4, 5, 6 months from now?

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
For all those interested in the special make-up of ravello on the plaza last with medallion cap toe: Spoke to Cathy @ Alden DC today and she said the order was officially put through a few weeks ago.

I'd imagine we'd see these...what....4, 5, 6 months from now?

Assume closer to 9, and be pleasantly surprised when they are 2-3 months early.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Tom,

I've purchased a few pair of shoes from Bryan at BH and have talked to him on the phone as well as exchanged numerous emails. Have always enjoyed doing business with him. Recently, he took care of a Alden order that was shipped from HI. The shoes from HI came with some candy in the box. You need to tell Bryan that he should step up his game!
bigstar[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Haha...it's a little touch we started years ago intended for our international clientele but I guess the person packing your box felt like sending you a package too! Hope you like coffee candy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads