• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with shoes. sounds more like your feet don't like the trubalance. why force it if it doesn't work? unload the shoes and find something that you like.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
All Aldens are heavy, it's probably due mostly to the steel shank. The midsole is cork, not wood.

Don't let facts get in the way of posting pure bullshit.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by miran
OK, thanks.

Oddly enough, another member here got 403s at aroudn the same time as me, and the creasing on his shoe is nothingl like mine. On his 403, it is the creasing that usually builds up with wear, and yes, it looks kinda nice.

By the big toe under the stitching, do you mean that big white stitching on the toebox, what they keep calling the moc toe stitching?

Also re. the breakin--I was told the opposite
blush.gif
I was told to make sure the shoe fit from the start, because good shoes with Goodyear welting do not stretch and lose their shape, even though the the leather will loosen up a bit with warmth from your foot.

This trubalance last really is fucked up on my foot. 11D--way too big. 10.5D, my foot is still sliding in there, but I only tried it on for 5 minutes. 10D--feels funny. I also tried 11.5D, which I can swing kick off my foot with very controlled precision.

Thanks for your advice.

yes, my big toe comes up to the moc stitching. initially it seemed like there was too much room, but it's a boot, and there is supposed to be extra toe room. i wear thicker dress socks and they are fine.

the reason you need the break-in is for the cork sole to mold to your foot. there is very little padding in the shoe, and your feet may not be used to that yet. the shoe should fit from the start, but it will get more comfortable as you wear them. if they do not get more comfortable after a couple weeks of consistent wear, sell them and move on.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Correct. It's stainless steel

The steel part is just the shank, not the entire midsole. If the entire midsole was steel (or wood, for that matter), no Alden shoe would be able to flex at all.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Aldens, the weight obviously varries with the materials used in the sole. My Alden #8 longwings weigh more than my Alden Indy on commando sole, largely because the commando sole is made of light material. Then you have things like unlined suede plain toes on single oiled flex soles, which make the shoes very light.

thebunk

Reaction score
Heading to NYC next month wondering what store has the best selection of shoes but also widths (I.e. Carry e widths). I am looking at picking up a couple of pairs while I am there but would like to try on a 9e shoe.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
Heading to NYC next month wondering what store has the best selection of shoes but also widths (I.e. Carry e widths). I am looking at picking up a couple of pairs while I am there but would like to try on a 9e shoe.
I recommend the Madison Ave store. They will certainly have the best selection of stock models in New York, and you'll have much better luck getting E widths in the "standards". Some people here have complained about service there, but my experiences have been good. I think some people expect it to be staffed by enthusiasts, rather than by regular guys just trying to make an honest living selling $600 shoes to people who make a lot more money than they do. I don't know. Maybe I just have more empathy because my father was a shoe salesman too. Maybe they are bitter about people trying on shoes there and then ordering from Shoemart to save a few bucks on tax. Whatever the reason, I like the store a lot but some people don't. There is a very old-school vibe to it I dig. YMMV. Also, if you love shoes, don't leave New York without stopping at Leffot. The store is worth a visit just for the interior design, and of course the proprietor. Even if you don't like their current offerings, go see the store.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score

If you're a tough fit, go to Moulded Shoe; they're very good at fitting customers and have a reasonable selection (esp of Modified Last).

marg

Reaction score

I ordered from Citishoes and spoke to Sol. He seemed to have lots of stuff in E width. I ordered whiskey longwings in 11.5E, and he had other models in stock he was trying to sell me. Check them out.

I think if a store ships to your address out of state, you shouldn't have to pay tax unless that store has retail space within your state. NY tax is brutal. PA has no tax on clothing.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here got monk straps? If so, please share your opinion on them.

I want a pair of double monk straps, but may settle for a single from Alden as I don't know where to get a good pair of double monk straps at the moment.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Anyone here got monk straps? If so, please share your opinion on them.

I want a pair of double monk straps, but may settle for a single from Alden as I don't know where to get a good pair of double monk straps at the moment.

What's your budget? IMO the Alden monk strap is not a great looking shoe.

If I money were no object, I'd go for the Lobb St. Crepin 2010 (available at LS and other fine retail establishments):

20101.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads