• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I make this sportcoat fit better?

TRA8324

Reaction score
I bought this off of B&S recently. It's PRL that has been previously altered. It seems that the alterations were not done well because the fabric seems to bunch at the bottom near the vents and around the armpits. Is there anything I can do to make this fit better or should it go on ebay? Thanks in advance.

jMKk6.jpg

XwYia.jpg

X4ORg.jpg

z96IU.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The SC fits you very well. A good tailor should be able to take care of the armpit fabric. Definitely, keep it. Maybe ask your tailor to taper the skirt just a little. It will be much more flattering for your figure to have the jacket's quarters hug your hips a bit more.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
The SC fits you very well. A good tailor should be able to take care of the armpit fabric. Definitely, keep it. Maybe ask your tailor to taper the skirt just a little. It will be much more flattering for your figure to have the jacket's quarters hug your hips a bit more.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep it then. It's the extra fabric around the armpit and back that bothered me the most in the pics, so i'm glad that won't be too much of an issue to take care of.

Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think rather than taper the bottom the waist should just be let out a touch. It's flairing because your butt sticks out more than the previous owner.
Yeah, I do have a bit of a bubble butt. I guess i'll ask my tailor what would be the best option.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think rather than taper the bottom the waist should just be let out a touch. It's flairing because your butt sticks out more than the previous owner.

+1. I've got "sprinter butt" and I've finally learned I can't have too trim a waist otherwise the vents will flair. If you let out the sides a bit, there will be more room so the fabric can "fall straight".

Also, it looks very good, so nice purchase.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree, I had thoughts like that as well. But then I figured he might want the waist suppression that way.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your denim pants aren't helping. Denim is thick. Try wearing dressier pants with the jacket to see if this doesn't help before resorting to alterations.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It look good, man. I have a big ass too, so I have the same problem.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fabric at the armpits looks to me like your shoulders are more sloped than the cut of the jacket.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
only thing i'll add here is I think in future, look into more padded/built up shoulders since yours seem to slope a bit, so the natural shoulder plus sloping makes you look 'rounder'.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, you'll go crazy if you get perfectionist about the backs of RTW and esp. secondhand coats. if you want a perfect clean back you'll need to go bespoke, usually. RTW is cut to fit everyone OK and consequently fits no one perfect. even the very expensive stuff.

you can get lucky. heavier fabrics will be less nervous and wrinkly than lighter ones, too. otherwise you'll need to accept some sloppiness in the back if you are committed to doing this on the cheap.

that said, make sure your single vents are not split open.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love it. The fit isn't too bad at all, with only some minor additional fabric, but it goes very nicely with jeans.

I need something similar, so depending on the size, if you'd like to resell let me know.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
only thing i'll add here is I think in future, look into more padded/built up shoulders since yours seem to slope a bit, so the natural shoulder plus sloping makes you look 'rounder'.

Thanks. I think this is good advice. My shoulders are fairly sloping.

Do you think it would be possible to get these shoulders built up some so it would reduce the fabric under the armpits.

I think i will definitely get the waist let out as I think it will be hard to taper around my big ass. haha

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
Do you think it would be possible to get these shoulders built up some so it would reduce the fabric under the armpits.
Sound like a major job to me, not just a routine alteration. But if you do it, definitely lengthen the sleeves. To me they already look a bit on the short side, even allowing for the fact that some of that shirt cuff reveal is due to the fit of the shirt.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324

No, do not do this. Just let out the waist slightly and you're golden.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads