• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Espresso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epilepc
Hi guys, my prom date is wearing red D; what should I wear with a black suit to match? red vest and red tie? white vest/tie, red pocket square... silver vest/tie, red pocket square... I really don't know :\\ Any help in pulling this off would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

(also what difference from 100% wool does a wool/silk blend make? is it worse/better, warmer/cooler..)

What's the shade of red?
IMHO, I think you should wear what you are comfortable with. If you wear a shade that you dislike, you will end up not enjoying yourself, nor will you be comfortable. Discuss w/ your date what color, and possible combination you both enjoy! Afterall the pictures are shared right? lol

Slight contrast w/ the vest/tie is what I'd go with.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epilepc
Hi guys, my prom date is wearing red D; what should I wear with a black suit to match? red vest and red tie? white vest/tie, red pocket square... silver vest/tie, red pocket square... I really don't know :\\ Any help in pulling this off would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

(also what difference from 100% wool does a wool/silk blend make? is it worse/better, warmer/cooler..)

Originally Posted by Espresso
What's the shade of red?
IMHO, I think you should wear what you are comfortable with. If you wear a shade that you dislike, you will end up not enjoying yourself, nor will you be comfortable. Discuss w/ your date what color, and possible combination you both enjoy! Afterall the pictures are shared right? lol

Slight contrast w/ the vest/tie is what I'd go with.

Originally Posted by SammyJ
Wool/silk blend will probably be cooler, at least from my experience. Night like prom, I'd for sure go with the blend. Don't go all red-overkill. Plus she'll be ticked if it doesn't match hers. I'd go with the white vest with red pocket square. It'll look cool.

facepalm.gif

Seand03

Reaction score
I just got a really nice calvin klein med gray suit with light pinstriping, that i am planning on wearing to a wedding. I need to go get a shirt and tie to go with it. My question is, can i get away with a black shirt and a bright orange tie, maybe a black fedora as well?
Also what color pocket square should i go with if i use that color scheme, black or orange?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seand03
I just got a really nice calvin klein med gray suit with light pinstriping, that i am planning on wearing to a wedding. I need to go get a shirt and tie to go with it. My question is, can i get away with a black shirt and a bright orange tie, maybe a black fedora as well?
Also what color pocket square should i go with if i use that color scheme, black or orange?

Ugh.

1. Don't wear a pin-stripe suit to a wedding, pin-stripes are for business.

2. Don't wear a black shirt. Ever.

RTenenbaum

Reaction score
Really basic, embarrassing question here. What's the best way to care for dress shirts so that they will last a long time? Before I found SF I had been basically dry cleaning them after every wear. Now I've heard that doing that will shorten the life of the shirt significantly...

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Ugh.

2. Don't wear a black shirt. Ever.

Unless you are attending a funeral. Even then it is optional.

fallewings18

Reaction score
hey i got a light grey suit jacket and was thinking of buying pants for it. Will it work with darker grey pants? or black pants is better?

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum
Really basic, embarrassing question here. What's the best way to care for dress shirts so that they will last a long time? Before I found SF I had been basically dry cleaning them after every wear. Now I've heard that doing that will shorten the life of the shirt significantly...

I usually wash mine in cold or warm water on gentle cycle, partially dry them on low, and iron them damp.

Or . . .

You can always try cloth tape.
wink.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, hai guise...

What can you tell me about ABBA brand shirts? I picked up a few at a Junior League shop recently, and they appear, to my untrained eye, pretty okay-ish: quality cotton, thick MOP buttons, made in Italy. Yet the name makes them 100% un-Google-able.

Same question for Xacus and Ateseta(?) shirts, I guess. They seem like great Italian quality, yet I haven't run into the names on SF.

Thanks.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Unless you are attending a funeral. Even then it is optional.

No, you should not be wearing a black shirt to a funeral, you should be wearing a white shirt. A black shirt looks like you're heading out to a tacky club, hardly suitable attire for paying your respects.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually a black shirt looks like you're going to a parade. Goose steps optional but make sure it's a Boss shirt.

dasai

Reaction score
Short of NOS or outright theft, what's the cheapest way to get a new pair of Alden's unlined LHS loafers made for Brooks Brothers? Do they ever have more than a 25% discount? I wasn't really interested in loafers, but now feel an intense desire to get a pair (preferably without breaking the bank).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads