• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coat Fit: Am I a 38 or 40?

borderline

Reaction score
Hiya,
Here are two versions of two coats, one JCrew and one RL, both tweed sport coats in 40R and 38R. I am 5'9" and 160 lbs. I don't need anything super slim but I want it to look good and not baggy. What are your thoughts on these? I don't like the JCrew because the lapels are too small and the shoulders too padded, but let me know what you think about the fit. This post is prompted by the fact that the 38R RL coat seems to be pulling at the button, and the back vent is opened under normal wear. None of them have been tailored for width. I know there are differences in fit between brands, but which of these sizes would you choose in each jacket? Should I keep the 38 and try to get it widened in the chest area, or try to reduce the width of the 40R? Or should I just sew up part of the back vent? And which of the JCrew is the better fit off the rack? I know the sleeves would need shortening so don't need to comment on that.

The RL is the Aberdare shown here: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

The JCrew is the Ludlow fit tweed.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol at pic of your vent.

Take a tape measure and measure your chest, it should help a lot.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a 38R with a double vent is what'll work best for you. I'm about the same height/weight as you and I gravitate towards 36R most of the time. I also have the same problem with a back vent, so I only get side vents from now on.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
lol at pic of your vent.

Take a tape measure and measure your chest, it should help a lot.

Yes, but look at the picture from the RL website!

Measuring helps, but we all know that the numbers on the item don't necessarily match reality, so this measurement would only get me close, i.e. 38 or 40. Then it depends on the actual item as to which is better.

imschatz

Reaction score
I'd say 38. The 40's look boxy with too much room around the chest.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the 38 in either doesn't look objectionably small, Go with the 38.

But this is coming from a puny guy who always sizes down out of habit.

JG000

Reaction score
Best fit appears to be the Jcrew 38R (in the "action shot"). Looks VERY good for an OTR piece, though I would shorten the sleeves ever so slightly.

With that said, the general rule of thumb is find a size you feel comfortable in and then go a size down. Case in point 40 -> 38

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Crew looks marginally better if you balance the dreadful patch pockets versus the lapels. I would suggest some more searching though.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The Crew looks marginally better if you balance the dreadful patch pockets versus the lapels. I would suggest some more searching though.

I'm not sure what you mean. The RL has the patch pockets. Were you talking about the RL? Are you saying that you don't like the patch pockets on the RL and you don't like the lapels on the JCrew? Or something else?

matt22616

Reaction score
Another vote for the Jcrew 38, pretty good fit actually, might just need a little waist suppression and shortening the sleeves by 1/4" or so. I'd say the relatively small width of the lapels is offset, somewhat, by the high gorge and lower buttoning stance, making you appear taller. The extra 2-3" of length also goes a long way to making you appear like an adult.

TRA8324

Reaction score
I like the ralph lauren one better. I prefer the slightly higher buttoning stance and wider lapels. I think patch pockets with flaps are odd though. 38 is definitely the way to go.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
I like the ralph lauren one better. I prefer the slightly higher buttoning stance and wider lapels. I think patch pockets with flaps are odd though. 38 is definitely the way to go.

Yes, I'm leaning towards the RL also, I like the lapels better and it is only 1/4 lined, whereas the JCrew is fully lined, and it's HOT here. But the consensus seems to be that the 38 in both models appears to be a better fit. It's not as comfortable, but it does look better.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Best fit appears to be the Jcrew 38R (in the "action shot"). Looks VERY good for an OTR piece, though I would shorten the sleeves ever so slightly.

With that said, the general rule of thumb is find a size you feel comfortable in and then go a size down. Case in point 40 -> 38

I've never heard that before.

So... you shouldn't be comfortable in what you're wearing?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chest measure should be about 3" bigger than your actual chest measure. Maybe 2" if you are built like Adonis, 4" if you are built like Al Bundy.

Like you said, the tagged size is misleading. A JCrew 40R might measure 41" ...

If the vent splits open, the fit is awful. The model looks hilariously bad. They should get more for whatever money they put into those photo shoots. Whoever was in charge, was incompetent.

In the two pictures, the JCrew looks fine from the front. The RL looks not good in the front and in the back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads