• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
i think the guy that walked away was the winner on that transaction,BB is nothing to write home about (sorry)

Depends on the BB in question. They certainly aren't crappy quality, and personally, I think that some lines (e.g. the Golden Fleece) are rather good. More so at their price points. To write off all of BB is rather foolish.

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Another great score today....Hermes tie in perfect condition...and well....the price...

H1udQl.jpg

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
Did you get that Hermes tie for 10 cents?

Actually...11 cents with the d@$& taxes..haha.
bounce2.gif

This is the second perfect Hermes I've picked up at this place. Ranks up there with my all time pick-ups...those to Hermes and a $2 Kiton.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
Did you get that Hermes tie for 10 cents?

Originally Posted by JKMWCL
Actually...11 cents.
bounce2.gif

I feel cheated! I paid 16 times that for the one I posted on Saturday.

Oh, and BTW, you shouldn't be charging more than $.22 if you flip it!
smile.gif

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I feel cheated! I paid 16 times that for the one I posted on Saturday.

Oh, and BTW, you shouldn't be charging more than $.22 if you flip it!
smile.gif

Wow - just saw your post...quite a haul! Are you holding on to all of them? (PM me if you are selling)

Doorstop

Reaction score
Long time lurker who has completely purged a closet full of Van Heusen and other stuff with knowledge gained here. Since I haven't posted in here before, just wanted to say thanks. After two years of consistently hitting all local GWs and our SA I have (with the help of a really nice and patient tailor) built a pretty great closet of staple items (Polo, more BB than you can shake a stick at) with occasional pieces that I was dumbfounded to find in a thrift store (2 Oxxford suits in my size that only needed a little waist suppression, one shirt each from Brioni, Charvet and Borrelli, a few Hermes ties (that I grabbed on principle even if I find them atrocious). But yesterday I actually pulled something I had to show people, my first Kiton anything
xSeML.jpg
[/IMG] In a GW that rarely yields anything useful. I was going through the ties and almost skipped past this one (the label is similar in style and placement to Murano, and I see tons of those) but then I went back thinking "Man that silk feels nice". Sure enough, a Kiton tie. Wearing it to work today. Thanks again Thrift Thread.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
SEVEN DAYS OF THRIFTING -- PART ONE

qO6fc.jpg

1. RL Polo Jeans Co. 100% linen SC -- Tagged 'L', P2P 21.5

.. .

tepR5.jpg

2. D&G, Charvet -- slim, 34 and 36-ish.

.. .. ..

j0LYy.jpg

3. Thresher an Glenny, vintage Gant red chambray oxford -- sz m/l-ish

.. .. ..

4. RRL -- sz L

fL1ZQ.jpg

5. An assload of shiny Zanellas plus Zegna grail shirt

Tomorrow: much, much moooooar!!!!!!11

fight[1].gif

buy a cheap steamer at walmart for $30 and that linen jacket will look like new,best purcase i ever made,works on everything including wrinkled ties

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Depends on the BB in question. They certainly aren't crappy quality, and personally, I think that some lines (e.g. the Golden Fleece) are rather good. More so at their price points. To write off all of BB is rather foolish.
once you go Brioni,Kiton,RLPL there is no question...plus dont forget he is looking to flip for profit,when is the last time you salivated over anything BB and said to yourself yes i gotta have that

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
once you go Brioni,Kiton,RLPL there is no question...plus dont forget he is looking to flip for profit,when is the last time you salivated over anything BB and said to yourself yes i gotta have that
Yes, and once you go bespoke with that perfect Minnis Fresco, there is no going back. If having something better were to be the criteria, then nobody would buy anything but the very best. But it's not, because other factors come into play (cost, availability, convenience etc). The point is, there's a hierarchy with everything, and to write off all of BB just because there's something better is absurd.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Frenchy's point is that the guy was excited about flipping the BB suit. Which is a lot of work for a small profit. Which might make sense for this fellow, but wouldn't likely make much sense for most.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
I think Frenchy's point is that the guy was excited about flipping the BB suit. Which is a lot of work for a small profit. Which might make sense for this fellow, but wouldn't likely make much sense for most.
Eh, it all depends - if it's an old 3/2 sack in great shape it's flippable - not for insane sums, but if you pay 10-15 bucks for one you can get 30-50 for it on the thrift exchange usually. Not the kind of thing to do purely for profit, but if you're already listing stuff it can make some sense. BF/GF should be flippable. Newer GF anyway. Still not gonna make anything insane but hey, why not? Unfortunately I have a feeling the guy got a blue label "Brooksease" or something like that from the mid-90's and is going to regret it.
laugh.gif
Definitely scaling back here - haven't picked anything up in over a week. Nothing even close at two stores this morning that I was driving past anyway and couldn't resist.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Shoo day:

Amazing black Edward Green loafers - the design on these is very funky, but they're too small for me so they're up on B&S:

SAM_5528.JPG

And these for me - unlabelled brown Oxfords, recently re-soled so they'll do nicely as weekend beater shoes:

SAM_5535.JPG

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Yes, and once you go bespoke with that perfect Minnis Fresco, there is no going back. If having something better were to be the criteria, then nobody would buy anything but the very best. But it's not, because other factors come into play (cost, availability, convenience etc). The point is, there's a hierarchy with everything, and to write off all of BB just because there's something better is absurd.
read what he wrote and what i wrote carefully,he bought it to flip it. people are having trouble getting $500 for NWOT Brionis and Kitons and he thinks hes gonna make a killing on a BB,after gas,paypal fees and ebay fees if hes selling on there plus shipping plus gas to go to the post office he is lucky to make $30 bucks,if that. i know because i had a Golden Fleece and couldtnt give it away for under $100. i have nothing against BB,as a matter of fact my fave blazer is a navy BB with the gold buttons,but he wants to make a profit. i dont know if you are a seller,but i have literally sold hundreds of suits over the years,i know what i speak off,because i made the same mistakes as he is making. Bespoke is overrated by the way,the brits know how to make a shoe but leave the suit and car making to the italians. unless you have an unusual body type bespoke is a complete ripoff,buy a suit of the rack at the right store with the right salesman and you should be just fne for half the price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads