• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

McCurry

Reaction score
Looking for Summer Shoes to go with Shorts. Don't think I can pull off Boatshoes with my wardrobe. 373 vs 574. Or recommend me something else. Thanks in advance

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A pile of vomit fits a similar aesthetic

dmass1

Reaction score

kwoyeu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by melonadejello
Hmm, yeah. I do agree about the shape, my initial reaction was to like them very much. The silhouettes all pretty much look really good. But the leather and the details on almost every pair just look disappointing.

Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Hmm... I'd probably be all over the oxbloods. Where for 70% off?

Originally Posted by ManofKent
If the quality is there go for it. The shape is great.

Originally Posted by 1up
How much are they with the 70% off?

Originally Posted by lmaozedong
FWIW the pair I had was off of Gilt and was probably a very early season. It was also a pair of derbies, not boots. That being said, it was absolutely ****. Worse than Cole Haan.

Originally Posted by hendrix
I guess you've already said you like the design, but the sole looks way too insubstantial for that type of boots. Throws off the shape IMO.

Appreciate it guys. Just kopped both off of gilt, I think prive has it right now too but slightly more expensive (gilt is 70% off so both cost just a tad over $100).
Will post back re: fit, quality, etc.
Agreed with hendrix re: soles, didn't notice that initially. Hope if i wear them untucked it won't be too obvious

Ascent

Reaction score
@Lane definitely get that Cloak Blazer, I want it bad but can't afford it, so buy it. (Assuming this is the one tailored to an xs)

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
cloak-2.jpg

Don't Don't Don't ****. this will not gel aesthetically in the slightest and it was tailored down as it is. DO NOT.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why wouldn't it gel? Also, it fits me like a glove methinks. I am waiting for his personal fitpics to finalize the decision.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see it working for you honestly.

Did you get that julius blazer? would be a much better choice, brand synergies aside.

Ascent

Reaction score
I think the arm details could work provided it fits him well but its up to him, what Julius blazer were you considering Lane, can you post a picture?

dmass1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Get the raised ones, instead:

18-04-2011_oakstreetbootmakers_vibramtrailoxford__navy_det__0006_..jpg

i do like them with the vibram soles, but im thinking the camp soles are more versatile - dont think the vibram soles work as well with shorts and i'm hoping these will look nice enough to wear to work with some chinos on casual days

Really tough call between these and the quoddys. I wish i had the $ for both...

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, for me, boat shoe soles always wear a little thin after a while, so like the thicker soles here. I think they would rock with shorts?!

herzzreh

Reaction score
Cost is $215, to go with regular denim, "regular" color chinos/khakis and maybe shorts...

Opinions? Alternatives? Budget is under $300 (+/- $50).

5259428990_bcbca50226_b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics