• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girlfriend and a Dior suit

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
My suggestion is that you take her shopping with you and go try on lots of suits and let her pick or the one that she likes the best. If you seriously dislike her choice, you can say you prefer a previously tried suit. Hopefully you will enjoy the experience and come to some middle ground that you both can live with and you can truly be grateful and appreciative of the gift. If not, and it turns into a fight and resentment..., start looking to get out of the relationship while you can as it will only get worse. Sorry for the somewhat negative comment but in many ways I am serious. I wish I had looked harder for someone that I could get along with better. I have been married for more than 20 years and seem to argue with my wife about which way the wind is blowing.
plain.gif

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People often bundle Dior with the crappy Italian mega-labels like D&G and Prada. Dior not only has (to my eye) much more interesting and elegant styling, but is also of a quality leagues apart from other fashion houses. The prices are very high, but Dior certainly shouldn't be a label you're embarrassed to wear.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I first started dating my girlfriend she bought me a Kenneth Cole scarf. Today she doesn't buy me clothes. Just sayin.

Snebbu

Reaction score
Nelly: Can't believe I haven't even thought of that possibility myself yet, nice idea! I'd probably have to do some research into which tailors in that area are good and which aren't. I'll probably just pay for these myself then though.

Tesuquegolfer: No need to worry about the somewhat negative comment, 'cause you are right, I'll just enjoy the experience of buying as much as I can! And though not with my girlfriend (yet), I have had multiple fights with friends concerning the direction of the wind, so I guess there's just something about that particular subject that makes it fight-worthy! (though admittedly that was mostly when sailing)

Loathing: Thanks, all these replies really did convince me of the quality of Dior suits.

PatrickBOOTH: I guess I should just enjoy it while it lasts then
laugh.gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me it is a question of what is more important to you the girlfriend or the suit.

If it is the girlfriend let her buy you the suit she has been saving for because in her mind it is a perfect gift for you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
To me it is a question of what is more important to you the girlfriend or the suit.

If it is the girlfriend let her buy you the suit she has been saving for because in her mind it is a perfect gift for you.

-1. Unless the OP likes the suit, it will be a waste of $$ and not get worn. Don't let women buy clothing unless it's what you want....

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
-1. Unless the OP likes the suit, it will be a waste of $$ and not get worn. Don't let women buy clothing unless it's what you want....

+1. I remember shopping with my dad when I was younger, watching women lead their disinterested husbands around and hearing him say "It's a sorry son of a ***** that lets his wife choose his clothes for him."

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dior suits are fantastic and will give you a more fitted look than kiton, brioni etc. i have about 5 and i love the feel,construction and look. The only issue is lots of the newer dior suits made by kris van asche not hedi slimane are sometimes too fashion forward and weird for my tastes. My opinion is to get the suit, it might last longer than your significant other.
devil.gif

mlongano

Reaction score
You'll have to communicate your likes and dislikes to her sooner or later, lest you someday end up with 40 or 50 Dior suits in your closet...some women like to establish an annual "tradition", and you could be misleading her into thinking that a Dior suit is the perfect traditional gift from her.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is so you can extend your lapel to wipe your mouth during dinner.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ubbens
PatrickBOOTH: I guess I should just enjoy it while it lasts then
laugh.gif

No, what I mean is that she now knows better than to buy me a Kenneth Cole scarf.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
People often bundle Dior with the crappy Italian mega-labels like D&G and Prada. Dior not only has (to my eye) much more interesting and elegant styling, but is also of a quality leagues apart from other fashion houses. The prices are very high, but Dior certainly shouldn't be a label you're embarrassed to wear.

Higher end Prada has some really well made suits and Dolce has a fully canvassed line. Most SFers severely discount designer wear cause they just don't know much about what is available and go with groupthink.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Higher end Prada has some really well made suits and Dolce has a fully canvassed line. Most SFers severely discount designer wear cause they just don't know much about what is available and go with groupthink.
SF is the anti-prom.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

+1

YSL and Mcqueen off the rack can be really, really good. Jil Sanders good too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads