• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color tie with char suit, white shirt, black shoes?

bobmcbob

Reaction score
What color tie goes with:
It's for a wedding. I'm just a guest.

I thought this would be easy. I bought a red tie, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Tell me if you disagree with:

1. Blue, brown, or tan ties don't go with the black shoes/belt.
  2. Textured black or black with white/gray pattern would be okay, but is kind of boring, and monochromatic. And, it's summer and seems sad to be wearing all that darkness in hot weather.
  3. Pink, red, yellow, burgundy, purple, are okay, they just seem a bit much. I'm not sure I want to bring that much attention to my tie.
So, now I'm leaning towards black with white/gray pattern. I like the black/gray Burberry tie. Maybe I can find a similar tie for less than $150.

Just please don't say I should change the color of the suit, shirt, or shoes. I don't want to change everything at this point, only the tie, thanks.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously.
Spectrum_by_GRlMGOR.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could wear any color tie and it would look good.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Agree with the above. You're wearing perhaps the most neutral outfit there is. Though I would avoid a dark grey/black tie as it will give a funerary impression. Go with something lighter. Maybe a royal blue?

QBNCGAR

Reaction score
Well I'm sort of in the same boat. My suit is a little darker. It's summer time, so I'm bouncing back and forth between five new ties I grabbed on a good sale (four bright ones in light blue, light green, a light-purple and navy stripe, a blend of three shades of purple and white stripes, and one a little darker royal purple with contrasting stripes of yellow and green). Guess it'll depend on how I feel that day. I have a silver textured silk tie that might not be bad, but I had shied away from black because A) I don't want to clash with or outdress the groom or groomsmen, and B) I don't want to look like I'm attending a funeral. Now I suppose I'll find out why I was wrong.
biggrin.gif

bobmcbob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
Agree with the above. You're wearing perhaps the most neutral outfit there is. Though I would avoid a dark grey/black tie as it will give a funerary impression. Go with something lighter. Maybe a royal blue?

Blue, really?? I think that would be fine if I had dark brown shoes and belt. But, you think it goes with black shoes and belt?

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobmcbob
Blue, really?? I think that would be fine if I had dark brown shoes and belt. But, you think it goes with black shoes and belt?
I think you're thinking about it too much. With how conservative your outfit is, you really can't screw up the tie. Have some fun with the tie (as you haven't had any fun with the rest of the outfit) and wear something you think the bridesmaids will like.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
seriously, anything will go. because it's a wedding, you might consider certain colors or patterns instead like a rich grenadine, say maroon, purple, navy, etc.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wear a tie with a picture of a big, flaccid penis on it. Then, when someone says "Ay yo, what's up with your tie?" you can say "Nothing's up, clearly. This party is boring!"

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
As everyone else mentioned...ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone else mentioned it, that's right, but I tend to disagree a little bit. It's right that a charcoal suit, a white shirt and black shoes and belt don't limit the choices by themselves.

But first it's a wedding. The tie should make a solemn and dignified impression, a overtly flamboyant choice could be ridiculous. Then (and most importantly) the complexion of the wearer matters. Not everyone can wear anything the SF groupthink permits regardless of his personal hair color, face and body prerequisites and look equally well. Even the individual personality and appearance characteristics should be part of the equation. A quiet and shy person with a visually loud tie would make an irritating impact on the viewer.

Having said that I have to admit...
Originally Posted by veneto
You are overthinking this.
...this is perfectly true as well.
biggrin.gif

bobmcbob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluesman528
a overtly flamboyant choice could be ridiculous.

What's an example of an overtly flamboyant tie? I honestly don't know. Is my bright red with white pindot tie, flamboyant?

Like this?
diamond_puakeni_tie_by_richard_calderon-p151428177044290288t52u_400.jpg

bluesman528

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious. If the people around you look first on your tie, then on your face and back to the tie, it has to be flamboyant of some kind (or ugly or horribly stained but we should not elaborate on that further
smile.gif
). Let the tie blend harmoniously into the rest of your outfit for this situation. No bright red (except burgundy, but I would personally like to wear it with a navy suit), no orange, no yellow, no over-the-top pattern, just wear a "boring" tie.
wink.gif
Look at the pinned conservative business dress thread on page 1 to see some nice examples.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads